Stuck xfer case '97 TJ

Old February 17th 13, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_3_]

Default Stuck xfer case '97 TJ

Howdy guys, long time no post. Hope you didn't run
out of change yet.

From non-use of 4WD, I can't pull the lever to go
to 4WH from 2WH. Is it easy to lube the linkage or
am I way overdue for a rebuild at 95,000 miles?

Last time it worked, I tried 4WL and something was
scraping so I went back to 4WH. My Jeep also makes
a gear noise when moving. Could it be xfer case?

What's a good $$ to have it done. I don't have the
tools or space to do it.
Old February 17th 13, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
> Howdy guys, long time no post. Hope you didn't run
> out of change yet.
>
> From non-use of 4WD, I can't pull the lever to go
> to 4WH from 2WH. Is it easy to lube the linkage or
> am I way overdue for a rebuild at 95,000 miles?
>
> Last time it worked, I tried 4WL and something was
> scraping so I went back to 4WH. My Jeep also makes
> a gear noise when moving. Could it be xfer case?
>
> What's a good $$ to have it done. I don't have the
> tools or space to do it.

"good question"

Could be as simple as linkage slipping or something
"really bad." Hard to tell without looking.
Best thing I have http://bit.ly/15nleKU

<http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/transfer-case-shift-linkage-adjustment-701221/>

If that's the fix then you really only need a couple
of wrenches. An assistant doesn't hurt either.

Remember to have the wheels blocked and emergency/parking
brake set. Nothing sucks more than your vehicle trying to
run you over.

--
DougW

Old February 17th 13, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

DougW wrote:
> Scott in Baltimore wrote:
>> Howdy guys, long time no post. Hope you didn't run
>> out of change yet.
>>
>> From non-use of 4WD, I can't pull the lever to go
>> to 4WH from 2WH. Is it easy to lube the linkage or
>> am I way overdue for a rebuild at 95,000 miles?
>>
>> Last time it worked, I tried 4WL and something was
>> scraping so I went back to 4WH. My Jeep also makes
>> a gear noise when moving. Could it be xfer case?

4WL should only be used on sand/gravel or really slippery
surfaces. It will make lots of noise on hard pavement
and is not a good idea to run it that way for any
time. (won't kill it outright but it will put stress
on everything)

Old February 17th 13, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_3_]

> 4WL should only be used on sand/gravel or really slippery
> surfaces. It will make lots of noise on hard pavement
> and is not a good idea to run it that way for any
> time. (won't kill it outright but it will put stress
> on everything)

It was in the middle of a snowstorm and I wanted to use low
to go down that hill. I ended up turning around and going
the other way which ended being a blessing. Seems no one
was getting up the other side of that hill and it was all
backed up!

Leaky output on xfer case jerryg Jeep 9 January 20th 08 04:15 PM
Leaky output on xfer case SupermanHughesFighter of trolls 24Wimp & SWimp Auto Photos 0 January 16th 08 09:18 AM
Leaky output on xfer case SupermanHughesFighter of trolls 24Wimp & SWimp Auto Photos 0 January 16th 08 09:16 AM
90 Chevy 1/2 Ton xfer case q news Technology 8 November 18th 05 07:16 AM
94 yj xfer case not engaging front axle Marvin Oliver Jeep 4 April 7th 05 04:21 AM