Proper way to engage/disengage 4WD

Old May 22nd 19, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Proper way to engage/disengage 4WD

On Tuesday, January 9, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, spelegan wrote:
> I've got a '94 Explorer with "on-the-fly" 4WD. According to the manual,
> (unfortunately I don't have it with me) in order to fully disengage 4WD, you
> need to put the car in reverse for 10 feet after you've pushed the 4WD button.
> I thought I went at least 10 feet in the opposite direction before I parked my
> car. But, when I went to start it this morning, I stepped on the gas and
> nothing happened. Then, all of a sudden, I heard this LOUD pop(like someone
> crashed into me) and off I went. Can anyone explain this?
>
> Also, do you have to start the car in 2WD or can you shut it off in 4WD?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Stewart Pelegan
> Computer Sciences Corporation
> (301)921-3206
> FAX301)840-8934

Im wondering why trans has to be in neutral/column before shifting transfer case/4wd to 4h or 4l in older trucks. If it has to be in neutral, how can you use reverse on the trans/column ?

Alarm Won't Disengage!! bob Dodge 5 May 16th 07 12:04 AM
how do i disengage navigation Derwood BMW 6 May 2nd 07 04:43 PM
clutch fails to disengage bladica Mazda 9 September 12th 06 07:10 PM
89 cherokee 4wd engage/disengage problem scmadhatter Jeep 7 October 17th 05 10:29 PM
clutch won't disengage.. i think Sk8rgrrl22 Honda 3 March 14th 05 01:52 PM