Aftermarket Gauge troubles

Old July 1st 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jtbartlett

Default Aftermarket Gauge troubles

Hello group. It's been a while since I've posted but new problems seem
to crop up. I have installed a trio of aftermarket gauges to monitor
engine activity out back. Following the manufacturer's instructions has
been a bit troublesome. Engine is currently not firing (intentionally)
while I try to test oil pressure gauge. I got the handy oil pressure
gauge with the idiot light and pressure sensor all-in-one. The Speedo
lights are wired hot just like the regular idiot light. Generator light
works just fine. Tested the OP bulb and it lights. Oil pressure Idiot
light does not light. I am reading 12V at the oil pressure switch out
back so I thought it was a grounding issue. Ground strap is tight. I
can make the OP light work by removing it from the sensor in the case
and grounding it to the alternator nut with alligator clips. What
gives? If I am pulling 12V from the front of the car why wouldn't the
OP sensor ground to the case? There is obviously a fundamental element
I am overlooking so maybe a fresh set of ears can help out. Thanks for
any help. At this point it IS appreciated.

PS. I do have oil pressure b/c I removed the sensor and cranked the
engine. It is pushing oil through. Engine was recently re-installed
but I haven't tried to fire it until I work this bugger out.

Old July 1st 06, 11:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Erik Dillenkofer

You didn't use teflon tape to seal the OP sender did you? Doing so will break the path to ground for the sender.

Old July 1st 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jtbartlett

Hey Erik. No Teflon tape was used as per manufacturers instructions. I
am truly at at a loss on where I am losing the ground. I can ground to
the Alt. nut and to the carb linkage but absolutely nothing to the OP
sensor. Truly Bizarre. I read 12V at the idiot light side of the
sensor and 8.58V at the OP gauge side of the sensor. The problem is
definitely not in the wire to the front as its been ruled out as ok.
I'll have to throw the old OP switch back in and suss out whats going
on.

Old July 1st 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Remco[_1_]

jtbartlett wrote:
> Hello group. It's been a while since I've posted but new problems seem
> to crop up. I have installed a trio of aftermarket gauges to monitor
> engine activity out back. Following the manufacturer's instructions has
> been a bit troublesome. Engine is currently not firing (intentionally)
> while I try to test oil pressure gauge. I got the handy oil pressure
> gauge with the idiot light and pressure sensor all-in-one. The Speedo
> lights are wired hot just like the regular idiot light. Generator light
> works just fine. Tested the OP bulb and it lights. Oil pressure Idiot
> light does not light. I am reading 12V at the oil pressure switch out
> back so I thought it was a grounding issue. Ground strap is tight. I
> can make the OP light work by removing it from the sensor in the case
> and grounding it to the alternator nut with alligator clips. What
> gives? If I am pulling 12V from the front of the car why wouldn't the
> OP sensor ground to the case? There is obviously a fundamental element
> I am overlooking so maybe a fresh set of ears can help out. Thanks for
> any help. At this point it IS appreciated.
>
> PS. I do have oil pressure b/c I removed the sensor and cranked the
> engine. It is pushing oil through. Engine was recently re-installed
> but I haven't tried to fire it until I work this bugger out.

Could it be that your ground path from the sensor to the gauge is too
high?
I ask because of the sensor only has a range of a couple of ohms and
the ground resistance is a couple of ohms, it will introduce quite a
bit of error.
Perhaps temporarily try bridging the ground from the sensor to the
gauge to see if it starts working. If so, you may have a grounding
problem somewhere.

Remco

Old July 1st 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
One out of many Daves

with the new Oil Pressure Sensor in place, are either terminals "grounded"
with no oil pressure? The "switch" terminal should light up your 12V test
light brightly while the sensor terminal will only create a dim light.

Are these VDO items? I ask because I seem to remember that there might be a
similar sensor on some Audis where neither terminal is "grounded" with no
oil pressure.

JMHO but it sounds like the sensor is not correct.
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old July 2nd 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jtbartlett

Thanks for the replies. What is really bothering me is the fact that my
Alternator light grounds A OK but the OP side of the sensor in the case
doesnt seem to. I can bridge the ground with alligator clips in two
ways and activate the light: at the sensor itself to the alternator,
and at the bulb in the speedo to a ground in the trunk. I have 12V at
the bulb and at the sensor. These are not VDO gauges but I believe they
should operate in the same manner......right? I CANNOT activate the
light by grounding from the sensor to the trunk ground.

Old July 3rd 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
One out of many Daves

so did you run an extra wire back to the engine from the aftermarket oil
pressure gauge?
I will assume that you did so the original wiring should be untouched and
the original idiot oil light switch system should work.

Or describe exactly what you have?
Original Speedometer with Idiot Lights operatiing
Additional oil pressure gauge, new wire to the new dual OP sensor.
OR
Non original Speedometer
Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge
Aftermarket Oil Pressure Idiot Light
New Dual OP Sensor.

ps.com...

Old July 3rd 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jtbartlett

Here's what we have: Non original speedo, it is a VW Speedo with
working Idiot lights, just not original for the year. Original wiring
harness is intact, correct wiring for the idiot light and pressure
sensor in the block. I had to run 2 wires to the rear, one for the
pressure side of the switch and one for an oil temp sensor in the case.

I removed the aftermarket sensor and plugged in my orig. pressure
sensor. Everything works as it should, idiot light on with key and
turns off when it cranks. So...there's no problem there. The problem
must be with the aftermarket OP sensor. I removed a rubber plug to look
inside the sensor. Everything looks like it should. Copper contacts are
in 'closed' position. The only thing I can come up with is the size of
the oil pressure 'hole' in the sensor. the aftermarket hole (where oil
enters the sensor) is considerably smaller that the original VW sensor.
Prehaps if all else fails i can drill it out to a similar size. I can't
see how it would make a difference as long as oil is entering the
sensor it should be the same pressure. So.. thats where I stand. If
anyone know of a different 'kind' of OP sensor, that is, if there are
indeed sensors that work mechanically different, please drop a line
here. I've never heard of such a thing but that's not saying much!
Thanks.