Using Vaseline on Battery Terminals

Old May 13th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim evans

Default Using Vaseline on Battery Terminals

For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals with
Vaseline to prevent corrosion. I've never done it because it seems
like the grease would act like an insulator and impede electrical
conduction between the posts and terminals.

Do others who use it have any problems with conduction? If not, why
do you think that's so?
Old May 13th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

jim evans > wrote:
>For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals with
>Vaseline to prevent corrosion. I've never done it because it seems
>like the grease would act like an insulator and impede electrical
>conduction between the posts and terminals.

It's good advice. The thing is, the grease is an insulator, but it's
squeezed out by the contacts being forced together. Because the contacts
are both soft lead, this is fairly easy.

And vaseline is a very good insulator.

>Do others who use it have any problems with conduction? If not, why
>do you think that's so?

No, it's fine. It's not as effective as a grease that has an actively
reducing compound in it to prevent corrosion, but it's cheap and better
than nothing.
--scott
Old May 13th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Wed, 13 May 2009 14:05:45 -0500, jim evans
> wrote:

>For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals with
>Vaseline to prevent corrosion. I've never done it because it seems
>like the grease would act like an insulator and impede electrical
>conduction between the posts and terminals.
>
>Do others who use it have any problems with conduction? If not, why
>do you think that's so?

I've never used it. And I have not had problems with terminal
corrosion.
My practice has been to put connectors on clean and tight, and
to wipe down the battery and connectors with a clean dry rag when
I do an oil change.

--Vic
Old May 13th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On May 13, 3:05*pm, jim evans > wrote:
> For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals with
> Vaseline to prevent corrosion. * *I've never done it because it seems
> like the grease would act like an insulator and impede electrical
> conduction between the posts and terminals. *
>
> Do others who use it have any problems with conduction? *If not, why
> do you think that's so?

Nope, it works great. I've also used silicone grease (AKA dielectric
grease) and that works just as well.

nate
Old May 13th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 13 May 2009 15:19:01 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> jim evans > wrote:
>>For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals with
>>Vaseline to prevent corrosion. I've never done it because it seems
>>like the grease would act like an insulator and impede electrical
>>conduction between the posts and terminals.

> It's good advice. The thing is, the grease is an insulator, but it's
> squeezed out by the contacts being forced together. Because the contacts
> are both soft lead, this is fairly easy.
>
> And vaseline is a very good insulator.

Water is, too...actually, water is an EXCELLENT insulator!

It's the impurities, such as metals and salts that are conductive in
water. If you could get pure, clean water with no minerals, etc you could
cool your computer with it like this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...fans,1203.html

Old May 14th 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer

jim evans wrote:
> For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals with
> Vaseline to prevent corrosion. I've never done it because it seems
> like the grease would act like an insulator and impede electrical
> conduction between the posts and terminals.
>
> Do others who use it have any problems with conduction? If not, why
> do you think that's so?

While the vasoline MAY be squeezed out from within the connection, the
normal way to apply it is AFTER the connection is made. That is, with
the cable connected to the battery post, paint the vasoline around the
connector, on all exposed lead and other metal.

Vasoline basically IS grease. It is just refined and cleaned up so you
are willing to use it on your body.

BTW, if there is corrosion, neutralize the area with baking soda and
clean up as thoroughly as possible before putting the vasoline on.
Old May 14th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ulysses

"Don Stauffer" > wrote in message
> jim evans wrote:
> > For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals with
> > Vaseline to prevent corrosion. I've never done it because it seems
> > like the grease would act like an insulator and impede electrical
> > conduction between the posts and terminals.
> >
> > Do others who use it have any problems with conduction? If not, why
> > do you think that's so?

> While the vasoline MAY be squeezed out from within the connection, the
> normal way to apply it is AFTER the connection is made. That is, with
> the cable connected to the battery post, paint the vasoline around the
> connector, on all exposed lead and other metal.

While I basically agree with this statement I always put it on before
connecting the cable because I have lots of problems with corrosion and it
helps to keep that down. If it is in any way reducing the conductivity I
really can't tell. For me it works out better than to have corrosion build
up between the connector and the terminal.

Old May 14th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim evans

On Thu, 14 May 2009 08:38:50 -0500, Don Stauffer
> wrote:

> the normal way to apply it is AFTER the connection is made.

You might want to google around. I think you will find that isn't the
typical instructions, that's why I asked.
Old May 15th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

"Ulysses" > wrote in
:

> "Don Stauffer" > wrote in message
>> jim evans wrote:
>> > For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals
>> > with Vaseline to prevent corrosion. I've never done it because
>> > it seems like the grease would act like an insulator and impede
>> > electrical conduction between the posts and terminals.
>> >
>> > Do others who use it have any problems with conduction? If not,
>> > why do you think that's so?

>> While the vasoline MAY be squeezed out from within the connection,
>> the normal way to apply it is AFTER the connection is made. That is,
>> with the cable connected to the battery post, paint the vasoline
>> around the connector, on all exposed lead and other metal.

> While I basically agree with this statement I always put it on before
> connecting the cable

I do this too. But then my cable connectors are aluminum, and have little
barbs that bite into the battery post when they're tightened. Old-style
lead clamps that are smooth on the inside may not provide enough "bite" to
get through the grease film.

However, since the posts are tapered, it's possible the bottom of the lead
clamp is wedged on firmly enough to make proper contact in spite of the
grease.

> because I have lots of problems with corrosion

Then your post-to-case seal is broken. This is usually due to some sort of
mishandling or overtightening.
Treat your battery with kindness and care, and ye shalt remain corrosion-
free, forevermore.

--
Tegger

Battery terminals Old Wolf Technology 12 July 14th 08 04:36 PM
Battery Corrosion but Not Near Terminals? Brent P[_1_] Technology 0 November 15th 06 09:31 PM
Battery Corrosion but Not Near Terminals? Noozer Technology 0 November 15th 06 09:30 PM
Battery Vaseline?? Shiquiliq Saturn 4 December 11th 05 02:05 AM
Lead free battery terminals or Lead terminals Sam Nickaby Technology 5 July 31st 05 02:28 PM