How to change the battery terminal

Old September 5th 05, 06:37 AM
Jonelle H via CarKB.com

Default How to change the battery terminal

I have a 1991 Ford Explorer and my nephew said the battery terminal needs
changed but he didn't have time today. I went and got the new terminals but
I don't know how to change them. Could someone help me with this? Thank you.

Old September 5th 05, 01:13 PM
Searcher1

Not sure what type of terminal ends you purchased, but if they are the
standard lead based with three screws it is realativly easy. First obviously
you need to disconnect the battery, negative first.
1) Cut the cables close to the old ends
2) strip off aprox. 3/4 inch of protective sleeve, make sure this the copper
is clean NOT GREEN! Do this with ALL wires as well
3) you probably have more than two wires, make sure you put them to the
correct termianls.
4) loosen the terminal end cable clamps attach the cable and wires under the
clamp and tighten (7/16 wrench).
Do this with both if thats what you are replacing. Make SURE these ends are
tight! BUt remember this is only lead and can strip. Reattach your battery
POSITVE first, tighten these down. Option 1 you can spray corrosion
preventative or you can just srpay them down with WD40 (which is all I do),
BUT I CHECK MY ENDS regularly and keep them clean.As long asthey are kept
clean you will not have corrosion problems. On any of the cars that I have
purchased new I have NEVER changed the terminal ends.

Good luck
Searcher1