Why is my 1985 s 10 2.8 engine so hard to start ?

Old October 18th 17, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

Default Why is my 1985 s 10 2.8 engine so hard to start ?

Will it start any quicker with a shot of starting fluid?

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/1...ed-help-70113/

Old October 19th 17, 09:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
RalphD66

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 8:08:50 PM UTC-5, Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 16:46:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 3:34:18 AM UTC-10, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> >>
> >> I was leaning very strongly toward this being the case, that the choke is not
> >> leaning down enough. But I suggested earlier than he try manually blocking
> >> the intake to simulate aggressive choking and he said that didn't help.
> >> --scott
> >> --
> >> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> >It's a cold start problem with a carburetor. This should be dead simple to fix.

> Yes, which is why I'm inclined to think that there might be a bit of
> trolling going on. None of his replies seemed to ring true. In fact,
> his replies seemed to be, "it's not that" mostly.

trolling ??
Old October 19th 17, 09:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
RalphD66

On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 12:28:28 AM UTC-5, RalphD66 wrote:
> Ok,i have been searching for an answer to why my truck is so hard to start. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I have put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum lines,replaced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that look good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I have even done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its just hard to start. Im stumped !

Im looking for help here, not people who second guess my replies ! Everything that has been suggested has turned out to be false.
Old October 19th 17, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 19/10/2017 7:40 PM, RalphD66 wrote:
> On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 12:28:28 AM UTC-5, RalphD66 wrote:
>> Ok,i have been searching for an answer to why my truck is so hard to start. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I have put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum lines,replaced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that look good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I have even done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its just hard to start. Im stumped !

> Im looking for help here, not people who second guess my replies ! Everything that has been suggested has turned out to be false.

Checked out your EGR??? Don't recall it being mentioned but I could be
wrong. The EGR will cause an air leak if its even just partially stuck
open and a leaning of the A/F mixture at all times. It usually displays
other symptoms but it is worth a look.

Don't just test it in situ. Remove it and test it out of the vehicle and
on the bench. They get chock full of carbon at times. If it works 100%
on the bench, make sure it is being operated at the appropriate times
when driven.

--

Xeno
Old October 19th 17, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek[_2_]

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 01:40:41 -0700 (PDT), RalphD66
> wrote:

>On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 12:28:28 AM UTC-5, RalphD66 wrote:
>> Ok,i have been searching for an answer to why my truck is so hard to start. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I have put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum lines,replaced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that look good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I have even done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its just hard to start. Im stumped !

>Im looking for help here, not people who second guess my replies ! Everything that has been suggested has turned out to be false.

So you've checked the float bowl for fuel? It's not empty after
sitting overnight? And the accelerator pump is squirting fuel right
away after sitting overnight?
Old October 20th 17, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 8:02:44 AM UTC-5, Xeno wrote:
> On 19/10/2017 7:40 PM, RalphD66 wrote:
> > On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 12:28:28 AM UTC-5, RalphD66 wrote:
> >> Ok,i have been searching for an answer to why my truck is so hard to start. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I have put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum lines,replaced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that look good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I have even done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its just hard to start. Im stumped !

> > Im looking for help here, not people who second guess my replies ! Everything that has been suggested has turned out to be false.
> >

> Checked out your EGR??? Don't recall it being mentioned but I could be
> wrong. The EGR will cause an air leak if its even just partially stuck
> open and a leaning of the A/F mixture at all times. It usually displays
> other symptoms but it is worth a look.
>
> Don't just test it in situ. Remove it and test it out of the vehicle and
> on the bench. They get chock full of carbon at times. If it works 100%
> on the bench, make sure it is being operated at the appropriate times
> when driven.
>
> --
>

> Xeno

Well, the egr is not connected on this engine. hasnt been in a very long time.
It was disconnected way before the problem started.
Old October 20th 17, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 11:28:37 AM UTC-5, Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 01:40:41 -0700 (PDT), RalphD66
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 12:28:28 AM UTC-5, RalphD66 wrote:
> >> Ok,i have been searching for an answer to why my truck is so hard to start. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I have put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum lines,replaced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that look good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I have even done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its just hard to start. Im stumped !

> >Im looking for help here, not people who second guess my replies ! Everything that has been suggested has turned out to be false.

> So you've checked the float bowl for fuel? It's not empty after
> sitting overnight? And the accelerator pump is squirting fuel right
> away after sitting overnight?

Yes ive checked the bowl for fuel in the morning. its good.And yes the pump is squirting gas. Ive been told that there are a couple of ignition items that will cause this problem. Like the ignition coil, and the ignition pickup. I replaced the coil to no avail. Im replacing the pickup next.
Old October 20th 17, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>Yes ive checked the bowl for fuel in the morning. its good.And yes the pump=
> is squirting gas. Ive been told that there are a couple of ignition items =
>that will cause this problem. Like the ignition coil, and the ignition pick=
>up. I replaced the coil to no avail. Im replacing the pickup next.

Both the pickup and coil would be a waste of time, if you have done the
tests I suggested with viewing the spark and with viewing the timing marks
during starting and at idle and making sure they are in the right place and
not jumping around.
--scott
Old October 20th 17, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 9:28:56 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
> >Yes ive checked the bowl for fuel in the morning. its good.And yes the pump=
> > is squirting gas. Ive been told that there are a couple of ignition items =
> >that will cause this problem. Like the ignition coil, and the ignition pick=
> >up. I replaced the coil to no avail. Im replacing the pickup next.

> Both the pickup and coil would be a waste of time, if you have done the
> tests I suggested with viewing the spark and with viewing the timing marks
> during starting and at idle and making sure they are in the right place and
> not jumping around.
> --scott

Ive checked the timing as you said. everything checks out. this is why i posted the question to start with. ive done everything that can be done but nothing seems to fix the problem. im thinking i must have gotten a bad carb. but thats hard to believe because the engine runs so well once it starts. although i have detected a slight miss when the engine is under a load.
Old October 22nd 17, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 9:28:56 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
> >Yes ive checked the bowl for fuel in the morning. its good.And yes the pump=
> > is squirting gas. Ive been told that there are a couple of ignition items =
> >that will cause this problem. Like the ignition coil, and the ignition pick=
> >up. I replaced the coil to no avail. Im replacing the pickup next.

> Both the pickup and coil would be a waste of time, if you have done the
> tests I suggested with viewing the spark and with viewing the timing marks
> during starting and at idle and making sure they are in the right place and
> not jumping around.
> --scott

Well turns out that replacing the pickup coil was not a waste of time. I replaced it and it solved the problem !

Blinking red temperature light/engine hard to start Megan[_2_] VW water cooled 0 January 27th 16 10:18 AM
83 VW Rabbit Hard to start and progressively looses power and dies. Cold start? Fuel pressure? Electrical? URGENT. Please respond! Mark Amero BMW 11 August 4th 05 10:39 PM
83 VW Rabbit Hard to start and progressively looses power and dies. Cold start? Fuel pressure? Electrical? URGENT. Please respond! Mark Amero VW water cooled 3 August 4th 05 02:15 AM
hard to start curbrider Jeep 7 June 6th 05 02:11 AM
Hard to start chuck50 Saturn 2 June 18th 04 03:16 AM