Saturn SL2 engine dies shortly after startup.

Old October 28th 05, 08:13 PM
cdiesel77

Default Saturn SL2 engine dies shortly after startup.

Hi,

I have a Saturn SL2 about 128644 miles on it and my question is what
can cause the engine to just stop while driving or just idling in the
driveway. At first my girlfriend would be sitting at a drive thru or
at a stop light and the engine would just quit on her. She would have a
hard time starting it right after so she would have to sit there for
about 2 minutes which then the car will restart with no problems. A
week goes by and it did it to me but even after waiting 10 minutes it
will not start. Friend told me i had faint spark but he got a spark
and it started up right away. Then died shortly again but started up
again and then no problems at all. Now if i start the car and let it
sit in the driveway for about 5 to 10 minutes it just comepletly shuts
off, and wont restart until i leave it alone for about 25 minutes and
repeat problem. I have new Ignition Module and coils. new spark plugs
and wires. Replace the ECTS sensor. Clean the EGR Valve to the best of
my Knowledge. I dont know what else could be killing my car.. PLEASE
HELP!

Old October 28th 05, 10:26 PM
Bob Shuman

I'm assuming no trouble codes are set (service engine soon light is out).

It takes four basic things for an engine to run: fuel, air (actually
oxygen), compression, and spark. Air is unlikely cause here since this
surrounds us everywhere and there is not much to the air intake system. The
fact that it runs normally "sometimes" kinds of also rules out the
compression angle as well. So its either fuel delivery related or spark
related. Determine which is missing and start your troubleshooting from
there.

I have used a spray can of starting fluid down the throttle body to see if
it would start ... if it does then dies, look at the fuel system: dirty
filter, defective ASD relay, defective/dying fuel pump, other? If no change
and still won't start with fluid, then remove a spark plug and while
grounding it to the engine using a rubber glove as an insulator, see if you
get spark while someone else turns the key. if no spark check the
electronic sensors, probably the crank sensor or the computer module. Also
make sure the battery is good and all cables and grounds have clean and
tight connections since electronics do funny things when battery is low or
there is a bad connection.

Also, get a Factory Service Manual for troubleshooting since it has
schematics.

Bob

oups.com...

Old October 29th 05, 02:49 AM
blah blah

In article >,
says...
> then remove a spark plug and while
> grounding it to the engine using a rubber glove as an insulator, see if you
> get spark while someone else turns the key.

He probably wont get spark if the car cant tell when its on a
compression stroke. "compression sense timing"

Also a stock .040"-.060" gap isnt sufficient to determine if the
ignition system is weak.

This spark tester you can see the center electrode, this isnt good for
modern HEI ignition systems.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This spark tester you cannot see the center electrode, this is good for
modern HEI ignition systems.
> http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

If your ignition system cant jump this gap then you can be certain that
the ignition system is weak.

You use this tester with a short piece of rubber hose. Find a 3/8's
rubber hose about 3-4 inches long with an inner diameter that will fit
over the tip of a spark plug. The hose should be check with an ohm
meter. Since its black rubber it should have "carbon" in it. This will
conduct electricity and its resistance should be no greater than 10k
ohms or something... Push one end of it onto the cars spark plug (leave
the plug in the engine.) then clamp the other end of the hose with the
Spark Tester and attach the plug wire.

Doubt anyone followed that but thats the only way you can cheaply and
accurately gage the strength of the ignition system.

Old October 29th 05, 10:41 PM
cdiesel77

Thanks for the reply. I just hop in the car and ran it across the
street to Autozone and had it scan. the SES light pop up right after
i installed the ECTS sensor. Now the code that I am getting is a PO401
EGR Excessive flow Detected low circuit. Is what i remember. Drove the
car back quickly and it died on cue.

Old November 10th 05, 11:54 PM
MORDO2

I have the same problem, I have changed the pcu and coils, no change. If i
let it sit fir about ten minutes, it will start again. Confused!