de-stinking a car interior

Old March 25th 09, 11:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Doug Miller[_1_]

Default de-stinking a car interior

In article > , =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= > wrote:
>aemeijers posted for all of us...
>

>> I'm sure this has come up on here before, but I can't remember what the
>> best recommended product was. I think something died in my van, and I

>Did you have the AC on? It could be mold/fungus in it.

Mold and fungus don't smell like "something died".
Old March 27th 09, 01:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tekkie®

Doug Miller posted for all of us...

> In article > , =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= > wrote:
> >aemeijers posted for all of us...
> >

> >> I'm sure this has come up on here before, but I can't remember what the
> >> best recommended product was. I think something died in my van, and I

> >Did you have the AC on? It could be mold/fungus in it.
> >

> Mold and fungus don't smell like "something died".

Explain to me the smell of something dead.
What does mold and fungus smell like? Explain in detail.

Explain to me the color red.

So if we are not there my guess is as good as yours.

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Old March 27th 09, 06:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
z[_1_]

On Mar 19, 11:25*pm, aemeijers > wrote:
> I'm sure this has come up on here before, but I can't remember what the
> best recommended product was. I think something died in my van, and I

mine too. it was my hopes and dreams. sigh.
Old March 27th 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

aemeijers wrote: de-stinking a car interior

I'm sure this has come up on here before, but I can't
remember what the best recommended product was.

The most promising method I read was one poster's
successful use of the enzyme liquids sold by carpet
cleaner renters.

Rodan.
Old March 27th 09, 11:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
aemeijers

z wrote:
> On Mar 19, 11:25 pm, aemeijers > wrote:
>> I'm sure this has come up on here before, but I can't remember what the
>> best recommended product was. I think something died in my van, and I

> mine too. it was my hopes and dreams. sigh.

Well, that was 3 or 4 cars and 20 years ago for me. I really don't even
need more than one seat any more... :^(

--
aem sends...
Old March 28th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I like idea of putting a dog in the car and watch where the dog snifs
around.Dogs are experts.A cat might work ok too.
cuhulin

Old March 28th 09, 01:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

> No, not really. Dead animals, and molds/fungi, have distinctly
> different odors. The impossibility of *explaining* the difference in
> no way alters the *fact* of the difference.

A bit like trying to explain how sex feels, no?

An easy (very easy) test. Even easier now with summer coming: Next time you
come across a dead raccoon, skunk (well, maybe not a skunk), woodchuck or
other larger mammalian roadkill that's been lying there in the sun for more
than a week, park your car, get out, and just, well, stand downwind and
fill your nostrils with that delectable aroma for a while. Ever had a
mouse die inside your walls after you laid out poison? Similar smell.

Now, after all that, try and tell anybody that the odor you just
experienced is in any way comparable to fungus or mold.

For a "power level" experience of the same "dead body" smell, get a good
whiff of aged dead deer at high-summer. A deer is about the weight of a
man. That kind of meaty mass makes a majorly vomitous stink as it
decomposes. What did Dresden smell like in late May, 1945?

Rotting log? Compost? Mold? Fungus? None of those offer the same olfactory
impact as dead animal.

--
Tegger

Old March 28th 09, 01:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article > , =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= > wrote:
>Doug Miller posted for all of us...
>

>> In article > ,

> =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= > wrote:
>> >aemeijers posted for all of us...

>> >Did you have the AC on? It could be mold/fungus in it.
>> >

>> Mold and fungus don't smell like "something died".

>Explain to me the smell of something dead.

Easy to demonstrate: put a piece of raw meat in a closed container (so it
won't dry out), and leave it at room temperature for a couple of weeks. Then
give it a sniff.

>What does mold and fungus smell like? Explain in detail.

Easy to demonstrate: turn over a rotting log.

>Explain to me the color red.

Irrelevant.

Old January 25th 11, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
John Gilmer[_3_]

> If I leave it parked outside for a month and drive the spare car, will the
> problem eventually solve itself?

First thing to do is DRY the car's insides. You might, for example, turn
the car heater all the way up and let is idle in the sun.

OR you can run an extension cord and operate an electric heater in the car
(taking proper precautions against the heater setting the car on fire.

Once it's dry you can "detail" the car and vacuum it as well .

If something literally died, completely drying it out should stop the smell.

Old January 26th 11, 01:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
aemeijers

Dude, where are you reading this? On one of those Usenet-scraping
websites or something? I posted the message you are replying to at least
a year ago...

--
aem sends...