97 XJ Auto Engine Shut off?

Old April 12th 12, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Brian Stroud

Default 97 XJ Auto Engine Shut off?

Has anyone heard of an "Auto Engine Shut-off" on a 97 XJ Cherokee? I have
one and so does my friend Tom. I have had all the standard problems that
come with owning an XJ and have been able to fix it without too much
trouble. Tom hasn't had nearly the problem as mine, I think because his has
fewer miles and he's been know to replace the parts that I have had go bad
before they went bad on his. Smart but I think expensive. Tom stumped my
knowledge of XJ anatomy with an "Auto Engine Shut-off" fuse that blows every
time he hits a sizable bump (washboards on a gravel road does it every
time). I no longer have the owners manual and Tom say it shows where it's
located in the fuse panel and power distribution center but I don't find it
on mine. Haney's Reference Book makes no mention of it and nothing says what
triggers the fuse to blow. Any idea or can anyone tell me what to look for.
It seems to shut down the ECU and not a fuel cut off.

Brian

Old April 13th 12, 11:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"Brian Stroud" wrote in message

[...]

^^^^^^^^

Been a while since I had my XJ, but isn't the Auto Shut Down relay in the
panel under the hood? I thought it was a relay and not a fuse?
Maybe that's in my Wrangler.

Getting old sucks.
--
Old Crow
BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT

Old April 14th 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

On 4/13/2012 04:27, Old Crow wrote:
> "Brian Stroud" wrote in message
>
> Has anyone heard of an "Auto Engine Shut-off" on a 97 XJ Cherokee? I have
> one and so does my friend Tom. I have had all the standard problems that
> come with owning an XJ and have been able to fix it without too much
> trouble. Tom hasn't had nearly the problem as mine, I think because his has
> fewer miles and he's been know to replace the parts that I have had go bad
> before they went bad on his. Smart but I think expensive. Tom stumped my
> knowledge of XJ anatomy with an "Auto Engine Shut-off" fuse that blows
> every
> time he hits a sizable bump (washboards on a gravel road does it every
> time). I no longer have the owners manual and Tom say it shows where it's
> located in the fuse panel and power distribution center but I don't find it
> on mine. Haney's Reference Book makes no mention of it and nothing says
> what
> triggers the fuse to blow. Any idea or can anyone tell me what to look for.
> It seems to shut down the ECU and not a fuel cut off.
>
> Brian
>
> ^^^^^^^^
>
> Been a while since I had my XJ, but isn't the Auto Shut Down relay in
> the panel under the hood? I thought it was a relay and not a fuse?
> Maybe that's in my Wrangler.
>
> Getting old sucks.

... but it sure beats the alternative.

There are several things that will shut the engine off.... number one
is not seeing good fuel pressure within a very short time after the pump
starts.

It isnt a fuse on the ZJ 4.0 which likely has pretty similar lectronics.

Old April 15th 12, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht[_2_]

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 19:02:08 -0600, Lon >
wrote:

>On 4/13/2012 04:27, Old Crow wrote:
>> "Brian Stroud" wrote in message
>>
>> Has anyone heard of an "Auto Engine Shut-off" on a 97 XJ Cherokee? I have
>> one and so does my friend Tom. I have had all the standard problems that
>> come with owning an XJ and have been able to fix it without too much
>> trouble. Tom hasn't had nearly the problem as mine, I think because his has
>> fewer miles and he's been know to replace the parts that I have had go bad
>> before they went bad on his. Smart but I think expensive. Tom stumped my
>> knowledge of XJ anatomy with an "Auto Engine Shut-off" fuse that blows
>> every
>> time he hits a sizable bump (washboards on a gravel road does it every
>> time). I no longer have the owners manual and Tom say it shows where it's
>> located in the fuse panel and power distribution center but I don't find it
>> on mine. Haney's Reference Book makes no mention of it and nothing says
>> what
>> triggers the fuse to blow. Any idea or can anyone tell me what to look for.
>> It seems to shut down the ECU and not a fuel cut off.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Been a while since I had my XJ, but isn't the Auto Shut Down relay in
>> the panel under the hood? I thought it was a relay and not a fuse?
>> Maybe that's in my Wrangler.
>>
>> Getting old sucks.

> ... but it sure beats the alternative.
>
>There are several things that will shut the engine off.... number one
>is not seeing good fuel pressure within a very short time after the pump
>starts.
>
>It isnt a fuse on the ZJ 4.0 which likely has pretty similar lectronics.

ASD feed is PDC fuse 18 for 97 XJ, fuse 20 for 97 ZJ.