Brake pads on BMW

Old March 22nd 17, 12:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.bmw
The Todal[_2_]

Default Brake pads on BMW

I have a 2012 BMW 3 series. I recently had two tyres replaced in a tyre
and exhaust centre, and the man told me that both my front and rear
brakes were worn and should be replaced within weeks.

Yet the car itself is telling me that there are at least 6000 miles left
before brake replacement is necessary. Which advice is likely to be more
reliable? If the brake pads are dangerously worn, will the car's warning
lights alert me?
Old March 22nd 17, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

The Todal > wrote:
>I have a 2012 BMW 3 series. I recently had two tyres replaced in a tyre
>and exhaust centre, and the man told me that both my front and rear
>brakes were worn and should be replaced within weeks.

Well, of course they are worn. The question is how worn are they?

>Yet the car itself is telling me that there are at least 6000 miles left
>before brake replacement is necessary. Which advice is likely to be more
>reliable? If the brake pads are dangerously worn, will the car's warning
>lights alert me?

I believe that you still have the electronic sensor on the brake pads on
this car, although you should check to make sure. If that's the case, when
the brake pads get worn down to the level of the sensor, the sensor will
wear through and you'll get a light on the panel telling you that the pads
need replacing. Only the front brakes have the sensors, but the front pads
wear faster than the rears normally.

There are people who will argue that since the pads are only $35 for a set and
the sensors are $15 or so each that it's better to replace the pads before the
sensors go, because it'll save you $30 on the job. These people are likely
not working at your local tire and exhaust center, though.
--scott

Old March 23rd 17, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.bmw
The Todal[_2_]

On 22/03/2017 17:28, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> The Todal > wrote:
>> I have a 2012 BMW 3 series. I recently had two tyres replaced in a tyre
>> and exhaust centre, and the man told me that both my front and rear
>> brakes were worn and should be replaced within weeks.

> Well, of course they are worn. The question is how worn are they?
>
>> Yet the car itself is telling me that there are at least 6000 miles left
>> before brake replacement is necessary. Which advice is likely to be more
>> reliable? If the brake pads are dangerously worn, will the car's warning
>> lights alert me?

> I believe that you still have the electronic sensor on the brake pads on
> this car, although you should check to make sure. If that's the case, when
> the brake pads get worn down to the level of the sensor, the sensor will
> wear through and you'll get a light on the panel telling you that the pads
> need replacing. Only the front brakes have the sensors, but the front pads
> wear faster than the rears normally.
>
> There are people who will argue that since the pads are only $35 for a set and
> the sensors are $15 or so each that it's better to replace the pads before the
> sensors go, because it'll save you $30 on the job. These people are likely
> not working at your local tire and exhaust center, though.
> --scott

Thanks for that advice. I think I'll have the pads replaced then. I hope
the tire and exhaust centre has the technology to re-set the BMW onboard
computer so that it knows that the pads have been replaced.
Old March 23rd 17, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.bmw
Steve W.[_6_]

The Todal wrote:
> On 22/03/2017 17:28, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> The Todal > wrote:
>>> I have a 2012 BMW 3 series. I recently had two tyres replaced in a tyre
>>> and exhaust centre, and the man told me that both my front and rear
>>> brakes were worn and should be replaced within weeks.

>> Well, of course they are worn. The question is how worn are they?
>>
>>> Yet the car itself is telling me that there are at least 6000 miles left
>>> before brake replacement is necessary. Which advice is likely to be more
>>> reliable? If the brake pads are dangerously worn, will the car's warning
>>> lights alert me?

>> I believe that you still have the electronic sensor on the brake pads on
>> this car, although you should check to make sure. If that's the case, when
>> the brake pads get worn down to the level of the sensor, the sensor will
>> wear through and you'll get a light on the panel telling you that the pads
>> need replacing. Only the front brakes have the sensors, but the front pads
>> wear faster than the rears normally.
>>
>> There are people who will argue that since the pads are only $35 for a set and
>> the sensors are $15 or so each that it's better to replace the pads before the
>> sensors go, because it'll save you $30 on the job. These people are likely
>> not working at your local tire and exhaust center, though.
>> --scott
>>

> Thanks for that advice. I think I'll have the pads replaced then. I hope
> the tire and exhaust centre has the technology to re-set the BMW onboard
> computer so that it knows that the pads have been replaced.

That's the easy part. Finding someone there to remove and install the
new pads correctly is the tough part...

--
Steve W.

Polo airbag warning light after changing brake pads, and brake sensorcable problems Red Dave VW water cooled 1 April 26th 09 09:04 AM
Brake pads dxmah Honda 14 March 12th 08 02:38 AM
brake pads nobody Mazda 28 February 7th 06 05:10 AM
99 front brake pads replaced, question on old pads Mikepier Ford Explorer 0 February 4th 05 08:07 PM
Brake Noise Caused by Cheap Brake Pads? Jay Bollyn Saturn 2 October 30th 04 11:19 PM