Axle Flange Question

Old September 19th 04, 09:01 PM
Kent

Default Axle Flange Question

Sorry for asking again, but I really would like to get the group's input on
this. When I removed my axle flanges, the large springs and thrust washers
that are supposed to be behind the flanges (according to Bentley) were not
there. I've been driving around like this for at least 100,000 miles. Were
these parts not included on some models or did I just misplace them?

Thanks in advance,

--
Kent
1987 VW GTI 8V, original owner, 220,000+ miles

Old September 20th 04, 02:30 AM

If they show in your Bentley and if they show at the dealers EKTA then
they belong. My wife is on the computer that has the hacked EKTA so I
cannot give you that answer.

"Kent" > wrote:

>Sorry for asking again, but I really would like to get the group's input on
>this. When I removed my axle flanges, the large springs and thrust washers
>that are supposed to be behind the flanges (according to Bentley) were not
>there. I've been driving around like this for at least 100,000 miles. Were
>these parts not included on some models or did I just misplace them?
>
>Thanks in advance,

Jim B.
Old September 20th 04, 11:26 AM
Jo Bo

Remember back to when you put the flanges back on. If they slid on and you
put in the clip then they were gone then. The springs make it very difficult
to put the flanges on. VW has a special tool for the job. They fit over the
inner part of the flanges and the thrust washers go on first. These are big
heavy springs made from flat stock.

JoBo

Old September 20th 04, 06:19 PM
Kent

I actually fabricated a tool similar to the VW special tool the first time I
removed the flanges. And I remember the force it took to compress the
springs. I don't have a clear recollection of the last time I removed the
flanges, but I always use the tool for reinstallation. That's what makes
this so frustrating...the springs are now gone, and they never ended up in
my surplus parts bin. I'm off to find replacements today...