Broke some stuff on Lombard street in SF

Old August 25th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

Default Broke some stuff on Lombard street in SF

Hey,

Known as the curviest street in the world, I took the newly fixed up 73
Super on a trip. My wife, kid and I were passing through on our way to
Ocean Beach, and thought we'd take a little detour for fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombard...(San_Francisco)

Not shown in the picture of the famous part of the street is the block
before it which is a rise of a near equal 27% grade but straight up. It
was all stop-and-go due to the, as usual, site seer traffic.

So smart me was doing some clutch hill holding 'till I started smelling
some asbestos.. heheh.. Didn't burn it out, but guess I came close.

Then I'm hill holding with the e-brake had to pull it way hard to hold
still due to the grade, so hard I pulled the lever high enough to pop-in
the thumb mechanism and got it stuck and couldn't release it.

Did my adrenalin shoot for that moment! Some panic thumb bashing got it
out.

Then on the way back home, it's getting harder and harder for me to
shift into first and the shifter is all wiggly. I guess the square set
screw on front of the transaxle is coming loose.. whoops.

Well, time to go fix it all, later...
Old August 25th 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

David Gravereaux wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Known as the curviest street in the world, I took the newly fixed up 73
> Super on a trip. My wife, kid and I were passing through on our way to
> Ocean Beach, and thought we'd take a little detour for fun.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombard...(San_Francisco)
>
> Not shown in the picture of the famous part of the street is the block
> before it which is a rise of a near equal 27% grade but straight up. It
> was all stop-and-go due to the, as usual, site seer traffic.
>
> So smart me was doing some clutch hill holding 'till I started smelling
> some asbestos.. heheh.. Didn't burn it out, but guess I came close.
>
> Then I'm hill holding with the e-brake had to pull it way hard to hold
> still due to the grade, so hard I pulled the lever high enough to pop-in
> the thumb mechanism and got it stuck and couldn't release it.
>
> Did my adrenalin shoot for that moment! Some panic thumb bashing got it
> out.
>
> Then on the way back home, it's getting harder and harder for me to
> shift into first and the shifter is all wiggly. I guess the square set
> screw on front of the transaxle is coming loose.. whoops.
>
> Well, time to go fix it all, later...

I too have driven down that street, man it's a leap of faith to get
started... all you see from your windshield is the sky, until the nose
of the car dives down

Jan