How much current does a 6V starter motor pull?

Old March 30th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dangermouse

Default How much current does a 6V starter motor pull?

Anyone know what sort of current a 6V starter motor draws?

Considering putting in a push-button starter and need to know approx.
how beefy it needs to be.

Ta.

Old March 30th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Dangermouse wrote:
> Anyone know what sort of current a 6V starter motor draws?
>
> Considering putting in a push-button starter and need to know approx.
> how beefy it needs to be.
>
> Ta.

The starter motor draws *hundreds* of Amps.

Fortunately, your push button only has to carry
the solenoid winding current. Even so, on a 6V starter,
the initial current draw for the solenoid is 35 to 40 Amps!

You won't need a button rated for the full draw since the
solenoid Amps drop off quickly as the plunger seats (it has 2 windings).
But you still need a switch which won't overheat/burn up on the first push.

One with an actual rating of 15 or 20 Amps should do the trick.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.
Old March 30th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Papa

You could use a relay near the starter. Then the switch could be light-duty
and much less of a fire risk in case of a short circuit.

oups.com...

Old March 30th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Papa" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> You could use a relay near the starter. Then the switch could be
> light-duty and much less of a fire risk in case of a short circuit.
>
> "Dangermouse" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Anyone know what sort of current a 6V starter motor draws?
>>
>> Considering putting in a push-button starter and need to know approx.
>> how beefy it needs to be.
>>
>> Ta.

<sigh>

Old March 30th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Joey Tribiani wrote:

> "Papa" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
>
>>You could use a relay near the starter. Then the switch could be
>>light-duty and much less of a fire risk in case of a short circuit.
>>
>>"Dangermouse" > wrote in message
groups.com...

>>>Anyone know what sort of current a 6V starter motor draws?
>>>
>>>Considering putting in a push-button starter and need to know approx.
>>>how beefy it needs to be.
>>>
>>>Ta.
>>>

> <sigh>

BwhaHaHaHa!
Old March 31st 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
t...
> Joey Tribiani wrote:
>
>> "Papa" > wrote in message
>> hlink.net...
>>
>>>You could use a relay near the starter. Then the switch could be
>>>light-duty and much less of a fire risk in case of a short circuit.
>>>
>>>"Dangermouse" > wrote in message
egroups.com...

>> <sigh>

> BwhaHaHaHa

LOL....thank you James....<G>.... was just funny...folks SO quick to yell
relay, that it assumed that the ignition switch has gone bad...was never
even said....<sigh>.... anyone need a box of 009's?

Old March 31st 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Joey Tribiani wrote:
>
>> "Papa" > wrote in message
>> hlink.net...
>>
>>> You could use a relay near the starter. Then the switch could be
>>> light-duty and much less of a fire risk in case of a short circuit.
>>>
>>> "Dangermouse" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>> <sigh>
>>

> BwhaHaHaHa!

GRRR.

BOO.
HISS.

Jan
Old March 31st 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

Yeah it is funny.

Last weekend I had to replace the starter on my Ford POS... and it does have
a relay on the fire wall, came that way from the factory... but after the 14
years the original starter gave up the ghost...

--
vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw
dragenwagen

Old March 31st 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Papa

Hmmnnn. You just don't get it, do you? O, well, guess there are newbies in
every forum.

Old March 31st 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

dragenwagen wrote:
> Yeah it is funny.
>
> Last weekend I had to replace the starter on my Ford POS... and it does have
> a relay on the fire wall, came that way from the factory... but after the 14
> years the original starter gave up the ghost...

Wife's 66 Mustang has a starter relay.

When trying to get the engine started for the first time after a decade
of sitting, the starter relay shorted, melted, and kept the starter
going until I disconnected the battery cable.

Jan

Difficult to put current motor in new window regulator and install in door? New At This Honda 0 August 26th 06 07:56 AM
starter current draw? N8N Technology 13 September 27th 05 02:34 PM
156 V6 starter motor Ppelectron Alfa Romeo 2 October 29th 04 01:40 PM
Starter motor testing Al Nicol General 4 July 21st 04 01:57 PM