88 jetta

Old July 21st 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
lynn lascu

Default 88 jetta

I have replaced master cylinder, brake lines (rubber) in
front,calipers,brake regulator, and pads on my 88 jetta and the front
brakes still lock-up on me. I will be driving and have to stop and
release the pressure on the right front disk after about 10 stop signs.
I've tried to figure out what the h%$^ is going on and just can't solve
my problem. Is there anyone who can clue me into what the heck is going
on???? HELP111

Old July 22nd 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
al

lynn lascu wrote:

> I have replaced master cylinder, brake lines (rubber) in
> front,calipers,brake regulator, and pads on my 88 jetta and the front
> brakes still lock-up on me. I will be driving and have to stop and
> release the pressure on the right front disk after about 10 stop signs.
> I've tried to figure out what the h%$^ is going on and just can't solve
> my problem. Is there anyone who can clue me into what the heck is going
> on???? HELP111

Doublecheck that the vent in the reservoir cap is free, that fluid comes out
freely when the bleeder is opened, and that the piston is not stucked in
the caliper by pushing the brakepad backwards... Out of those, there may be
something inside the right front line, or a bent rubber flex that prevents
the piston from coming back. (the proportioning valve should only manage
the rear brake).

al.
Old July 22nd 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

I wonder if there is a brake proportioning valve located near the left rear
wheel/axle and if that could be causing your issue. I have had to free up
several that had rusted up levers.
Did you use DOT 4 brake fluid?
Did you clean and lube the caliper sliders? Maybe it is binding and heating
up the caliper and fluid.

Like Jim asked..............where did you purchase the parts from? Are
these new calipers or remanned ones?

Old July 22nd 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

HE does, but that won't cause his issue - that prop valve only cuts
pressure to the rear lines. However, I have had one go bad - it causes
different yet equally fun symptoms; the rear brakes lock up before the
fronts under heavy braking, which makes for high speed slideilarity.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old July 22nd 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks Nate,
I thought so, but maybe his has a different setup. Is this a USA Jetta?

So do you think that his "new" parts are defective then?
If the caliper frees up then I will assume that the caliper is not the
issue. It could be the brake master cylinder or the brake hose.
Next check would be to open that caliper's line at the master to see if that
frees it up too. If it does then master, if not then hose. I doubt if the
line could be causing the issue unless it is crimped somewhere.

Oh I better ask the OP......... How do you release the pressure on the right
front disk?
Lets hope that the slides the brake pads ride on are not too rusty and the
pads can easily slide.
--
later,
dave

Old July 24th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
lynn lascu

Hello to all who have responded to my brake problem on the 88 jetta. I
have put two different masters on the car and the problem still goes on.
I have replaced the calipers twice. Everthing has been bought and
returned for new parts again. I've noticed that my oil light and buzzer
comes on also and it seems that when this happens the brakes start their
problem. This has been going on for two months now and its driving me
nuts. All I did was replace the master and all this started happing.
I've put all new parts and they came with life time warranties. Could
the booster cause this problem? I've dropped the oil pan and checked the
pump to make sure that it was good, but the oil light still comes on and
the buzzer to. I did put dot fluid in master as called for. Ever part
put on has been replaced twice already and still the same problem exist.
I work on all of my cars and this one I just can't figure out. HELP
AGAIN PLEASE.

Old July 24th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Regal953

lynn lascu wrote:
> Hello to all who have responded to my brake problem on the 88 jetta. I
> have put two different masters on the car and the problem still goes on.
> I have replaced the calipers twice. Everthing has been bought and
> returned for new parts again. I've noticed that my oil light and buzzer
> comes on also and it seems that when this happens the brakes start their
> problem. This has been going on for two months now and its driving me
> nuts. All I did was replace the master and all this started happing.
> I've put all new parts and they came with life time warranties. Could
> the booster cause this problem? I've dropped the oil pan and checked the
> pump to make sure that it was good, but the oil light still comes on and
> the buzzer to. I did put dot fluid in master as called for. Ever part
> put on has been replaced twice already and still the same problem exist.
> I work on all of my cars and this one I just can't figure out. HELP
> AGAIN PLEASE.

Oil light on means pressures have to be checked, my 87 jetta does the
same buzzer/light alarm, I will install a higher pressure/volume 16V
pump. So much for that. As far as the right front locking up, did the
car eve had a badly torn constant velocity joint boot. allowing grease
to contaminate pads and rotor? This WILL cause brake lock up. Second to
that I would think of and internally failed caliper brake hose not
allowing pressure to back flow to master. Let me know what happens.
Old July 24th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:13:26 -0400, (lynn lascu)
wrote:

>Hello to all who have responded to my brake problem on the 88 jetta. I
>have put two different masters on the car and the problem still goes on.
>I have replaced the calipers twice. Everthing has been bought and
>returned for new parts again. I've noticed that my oil light and buzzer
>comes on also and it seems that when this happens the brakes start their
>problem. This has been going on for two months now and its driving me
>nuts. All I did was replace the master and all this started happing.
>I've put all new parts and they came with life time warranties. Could
>the booster cause this problem? I've dropped the oil pan and checked the
>pump to make sure that it was good, but the oil light still comes on and
>the buzzer to. I did put dot fluid in master as called for. Ever part
>put on has been replaced twice already and still the same problem exist.
>I work on all of my cars and this one I just can't figure out. HELP
>AGAIN PLEASE.

You have not explained how you release the right front brake.

There are many DOT brake fluids. Some are compatible. Some are not.
Specify brand and specific brake fluid. Some brands can carry 3
different version of DOT approved brake fluid.

Booster is unlikely to be an issue. Someone could have crimped metal
brake lines. What does your friend see when he does a visual
inspection of the right front brake line from the master cylinder all
the way to the caliper? is the brake line spotless, I mean has all the
grunge and dirt been washed clean so a proper inspection can be done?

When you use your pressure brake bleeder does the fluid flow out at
the same rate on all four corners? You can test by pumping up your
bleeder tank to 10 psi. Open a bleed screw 1/4 turn and measure in
seconds how long it takes for 2 ounces to flow in to your catch
bottle. Make sure you start at the same pressure on the pressure
bleeder tank. Of course 1/4 turn allows for some vagueness but it
should help record flow rates to see if there is significant flow
problems. Measure all 4 corners and report results.

What weight of engine oil do you use?

How do you check an oil pump? I know how I do but that is not
relevant.

What does the oil pressure gauge indicate?
Old July 24th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default 88 jetta brake problem

Hmmm
Kinda hard to diagnose the vehicle from this thread.
This is the problem where the right front wheel locks up after about 10
stops?
When you installed the brake master did you install the rubber seal?
I usually measure the distance the brake booster rod clearance in the old
and in the new master.
Maybe you should measure that area now since maybe the rod is constantly
applying pressure to the master cylinder.
You might even find a little adjustment on the rod. I HAVE NEVER HAD TO
READJUST THAT ROD!
I have had to replace 1 or 2 boosters for other reasons, 1 of them was
improperly rebuilt and had some unattached rod on the inside.

Did you do the tests I suggested previously?

NEW PARTS with a lifetime warranty? What brand are these parts?

You need to check the oil pressure if you think that is why the light and
buzzer are going off.
Might be the oil pressure switches.

"lynn lascu" > wrote in message
> Hello to all who have responded to my brake problem on the 88 jetta. I
> have put two different masters on the car and the problem still goes on.
> I have replaced the calipers twice. Everthing has been bought and
> returned for new parts again. I've noticed that my oil light and buzzer
> comes on also and it seems that when this happens the brakes start their
> problem. This has been going on for two months now and its driving me
> nuts. All I did was replace the master and all this started happing.
> I've put all new parts and they came with life time warranties. Could
> the booster cause this problem? I've dropped the oil pan and checked the
> pump to make sure that it was good, but the oil light still comes on and
> the buzzer to. I did put dot fluid in master as called for. Ever part
> put on has been replaced twice already and still the same problem exist.
> I work on all of my cars and this one I just can't figure out. HELP
> AGAIN PLEASE.

Need help with my 99.5 VW Jetta TDI.................. [email protected] VW water cooled 0 March 4th 07 09:58 PM
I need help getting into a Jetta.... [email protected] VW water cooled 15 August 25th 06 06:02 PM
A3 Jetta Lee VW water cooled 2 August 12th 05 08:42 PM
90 Jetta Idle problem on startup / 98 Jetta ignition key question Lee VW water cooled 2 June 14th 05 12:36 PM
JETTA OWNERS! '96 Jetta acting strangely. [email protected] VW water cooled 0 September 27th 04 04:01 AM