Link to Locate Speed Traps

Old October 5th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Link to Locate Speed Traps

Check out this link. It's pretty slick. It lists your local speed
traps.

http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp

Patrick

Old October 5th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

wrote:
> Check out this link. It's pretty slick. It lists your local speed
> traps.

http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp

> Patrick

Who knew Dry Prong had a speed trap....

--
"Wow, I want a billion Dollars and a pet monkey!" - Dale Jarrett

"Paul's vocabulary is rather large, but
most of the words have no meaning in English" - Joe Canuck

"Too bad it wasn't "personality theft"...you'd be immune." - Herb Tarlek
Old October 5th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Check out this link. It's pretty slick. It lists your local speed
> traps.
>
> http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp
>
> Patrick

(>ahem<) As someone who pays attention to these things, the reports on this
site seem to be one-offs. Somebody got a ticket one day, then ran home to
post a report.

In all of the localities I checked, none had listed the current speed traps
I know of, most posted reports were outdated, and more than a few damn well
deserved a ticket, considering the locations they reported.

(Theoretical question: is a speed trap set up near a school crossing really
a speed trap, or is it more in the nature of a public service?)

dwight
www.tfrog.com

Old October 6th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"dwight" > wrote in message
. ..
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Check out this link. It's pretty slick. It lists your local speed
>> traps.
>>
>> http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp
>>
>> Patrick

> (>ahem<) As someone who pays attention to these things, the reports on
> this site seem to be one-offs. Somebody got a ticket one day, then ran
> home to post a report.
>
> In all of the localities I checked, none had listed the current speed
> traps I know of, most posted reports were outdated, and more than a few
> damn well deserved a ticket, considering the locations they reported.
>
> (Theoretical question: is a speed trap set up near a school crossing
> really a speed trap, or is it more in the nature of a public service?)
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog.com

A speed trap is a speed trap, that is any cop anywhere waiting for a speeder
to come by, get caught and ticketed.
You are not trying to infer some speeding is more/less deserving of a ticket
than other speeding now are you?
You are either obeying the speed limit, or you are speeding, and deserve a
ticket.

Old October 6th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Deputy Dog

"dwight" > wrote in message
. ..
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Check out this link. It's pretty slick. It lists your local speed
> > traps.
> >
> > http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp
> >
> > Patrick

> (>ahem<) As someone who pays attention to these things, the reports on

this
> site seem to be one-offs. Somebody got a ticket one day, then ran home to
> post a report.
>
> In all of the localities I checked, none had listed the current speed

traps
> I know of, most posted reports were outdated, and more than a few damn

well
> deserved a ticket, considering the locations they reported.
>
> (Theoretical question: is a speed trap set up near a school crossing

really
> a speed trap, or is it more in the nature of a public service?)
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog.com

I checked out a few reports in my area and found them to be inaccurate. In
method of enforcement, location. A lot of unsubstantiated horse **** IMO

Dave

Old October 6th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John[_26_]

"My Name Is Nobody" > wrote in message

> "dwight" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> Check out this link. It's pretty slick. It lists your local speed
>>> traps.
>>>
>>> http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp
>>>
>>> Patrick

>> (>ahem<) As someone who pays attention to these things, the reports on
>> this site seem to be one-offs. Somebody got a ticket one day, then ran
>> home to post a report.
>>
>> In all of the localities I checked, none had listed the current speed
>> traps I know of, most posted reports were outdated, and more than a few
>> damn well deserved a ticket, considering the locations they reported.
>>
>> (Theoretical question: is a speed trap set up near a school crossing
>> really a speed trap, or is it more in the nature of a public service?)
>>
>> dwight
>> www.tfrog.com
>>

> A speed trap is a speed trap, that is any cop anywhere waiting for a
> speeder to come by, get caught and ticketed.
> You are not trying to infer some speeding is more/less deserving of a
> ticket than other speeding now are you?
> You are either obeying the speed limit, or you are speeding, and deserve a
> ticket.

I'm with dwight, a speeder in a school zone should be ticketed with
prejudice!

--
John - ThunderSnake #59
'69 Mach 1 w/ 390 4V

Old October 6th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

dwight wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Check out this link. It's pretty slick. It lists your local speed
>> traps.
>>
>> http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp
>>
>> Patrick

> (>ahem<) As someone who pays attention to these things, the reports on this
> site seem to be one-offs. Somebody got a ticket one day, then ran home to
> post a report.
>
> In all of the localities I checked, none had listed the current speed traps
> I know of, most posted reports were outdated, and more than a few damn well
> deserved a ticket, considering the locations they reported.
>
> (Theoretical question: is a speed trap set up near a school crossing really
> a speed trap, or is it more in the nature of a public service?)
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog.com

I agree. I'd say that site is (should be) for notorious places. Only
one spot listed in Baton Rouge is a legitimate trap. The rest are like
you said, someone got popped and ran home and posted it.

--
"Are you da poe-lice?" "No ma'am, we're musicians."

"Too bad it wasn't "personality theft"...you'd be immune." - Herb Tarlek
Old October 6th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

My Name Is Nobody wrote:
> "dwight" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> Check out this link. It's pretty slick. It lists your local speed
>>> traps.
>>>
>>> http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp
>>>
>>> Patrick

>> (>ahem<) As someone who pays attention to these things, the reports on
>> this site seem to be one-offs. Somebody got a ticket one day, then ran
>> home to post a report.
>>
>> In all of the localities I checked, none had listed the current speed
>> traps I know of, most posted reports were outdated, and more than a few
>> damn well deserved a ticket, considering the locations they reported.
>>
>> (Theoretical question: is a speed trap set up near a school crossing
>> really a speed trap, or is it more in the nature of a public service?)
>>
>> dwight
>> www.tfrog.com
>>

> A speed trap is a speed trap, that is any cop anywhere waiting for a speeder
> to come by, get caught and ticketed.
> You are not trying to infer some speeding is more/less deserving of a ticket
> than other speeding now are you?
> You are either obeying the speed limit, or you are speeding, and deserve a
> ticket.

Some spots more regularly have a waiting cop therefire is a regular
"trap"

Old October 8th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jeff Mayner

"dwight" > wrote in message
. ..
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Check out this link. It's pretty slick. It lists your local speed
>> traps.
>>
>> http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp
>>
>> Patrick

> (>ahem<) As someone who pays attention to these things, the reports on
> this site seem to be one-offs. Somebody got a ticket one day, then ran
> home to post a report.
>
> In all of the localities I checked, none had listed the current speed
> traps I know of, most posted reports were outdated, and more than a few
> damn well deserved a ticket, considering the locations they reported.
>
> (Theoretical question: is a speed trap set up near a school crossing
> really a speed trap, or is it more in the nature of a public service?)
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog.com

Several listed for Ventura County were spot on. I'm sure some are probably
old but I see several of those listed every week at least once. They are
well known with us locals.

Old October 8th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

From a retired cop point of view....

There are legitimate locations which many call speed traps. Those are
places where there is a high accident rate, high spped violation rate,
etc. Enforcement is supposed to be "selective", however, if the rate
of incidence is high enough, that enforcement becomes nearly
permanent.

A "speed trap" is defined as law enforcement doing things like hiding
in the bushes where a motorist would be too late in observation to
reduce speed or whatever to avoid being caught.

Patrols are supposed to be in plain sight "to the observant motorist".
At night, parking lights should be on. Visibility (including the use
of "fake" patrol vehicles) is a psychological deterant, in the same
way K-9s are psychological deterrants, as well as trackers, etc. If I
recall correctly, these "rules" have come out of court cases, some of
which reached the Supreme Court (when it was a bit more left leaning).
Some places I worked, if you got caught breaking the rules, you paid
the price (unpaid leave, garbage details, etc).

I am not so dumb as to say cops don't ever violate the rules, and in
some areas they are supported in violating the rules. However, my
experience is that most cops do follow the rules.There are more than
enough violators on the roads to keep any cop busy. Their "targets"
are those who brazenly violate the traffic laws knowingly and think
themselves immune to being stopped.

And YES, while a violation is a violation is a violation, I consider
violations on different levels. A school zone being a prime example.
Residential areas get precedence over industrial, and over open road.
A speeder may take a pass going with the flow, but the one who adds
weaving in and out to get ahead of the pack becomes a moving target
:0) (pun intended).

So, when you say spped trap.... is it really a "trap", or was it a
motorist who wasn't paying attention and got stopped and is now ticked
off and complaining about the "speed trap"?

By the way, AAA and other motor clubs I've dealt with, do trip
planning for members. Based on reports from members, which are
quantified, they actually stamp the maps with detours around
construction zones and speed traps and mark the maps as what it is.
If they get enough complaints the word goes out to all their offices.