10% Ethanol Gas Causing Poor Performance?

Old July 30th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 10% Ethanol Gas Causing Poor Performance?

My Beetle's engine has been running hot, gas bubbles in the carb, and
it doesn't have the performance it used to have?
I checked out everything like:
* Tune-up and
* compression check

Do you think it might have anything to do with the 10% ethanol Gas?

Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks In Advance!
Old July 30th 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Darn, I just filled up with the stuff. I,ll tell you in a fortnight!!!
Oz John

Old July 30th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

modern oxygenated gas needs to run richer. You might consider a larger
main jet in the carb. Hotter is a sign of running lean.
Old July 30th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Jul 29, 8:05*pm, wrote:
> My Beetle's engine has been running hot, gas bubbles in the carb, and
> it doesn't have the performance it used to have?
> *I checked out everything like:
> * Tune-up and
> * compression check
>
> Do you think it might have anything to do with the 10% ethanol Gas?
>
> Any help will be appreciated!
> Thanks In Advance!

Don't know about your bug but it sure causes problems with my
chainsaws and other small engines. Especially when it's hot.

Randy
Old July 30th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Jul 29, 9:05 pm, wrote:
> My Beetle's engine has been running hot, gas bubbles in the carb, and
> it doesn't have the performance it used to have?
> I checked out everything like:
> * Tune-up and
> * compression check
>
> Do you think it might have anything to do with the 10% ethanol Gas?
>
> Any help will be appreciated!
> Thanks In Advance!

I found two good links.

http://www.vw-resource.com/additives.html#ethanol

Here is a quote from the link above:
"However, no one has picked up the subject of older carbureted cars.
The addition of ethanol to gasoline causes big problems in a VW
engine, as ethanol makes the engine run 4% leaner. To compensate for
10% ethanol in gasoline (called E10 in some places), you must increase
the main jet by two steps (e.g., from X125 to X130) and the idle jet
by one step (from 55 to 60), as 10% ethanol makes the engine run 4%
leaner."

Here is another good link:
http://aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resour...es/jetting.htm

Here is a quote from this link:
"Why Jet? If it's too rich, the extra fuel will wash the oil off your
cylinders and wear out your pistons, cylinders, and rings quickly (no
oil), in addition to building up deposits on your valves, heads, and
piston tops. If it's too lean, the engine will run very hot, misfire,
and can eventually lead to a burnt valve(s). Get it right!"
Old July 31st 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dennis[_4_]

On Jul 30, 3:52*pm, wrote:
> On Jul 29, 9:05 pm, wrote:> My Beetle's engine has been running hot, gas bubbles in the carb, and
> > it doesn't have the performance it used to have?
> > *I checked out everything like:
> > * Tune-up and
> > * compression check

> > Do you think it might have anything to do with the 10% ethanol Gas?

> > Any help will be appreciated!
> > Thanks In Advance!

> * * * * * *---------------------------------------------------------
> I found two good links.
>
> http://www.vw-resource.com/additives.html#ethanol
>
> Here is a quote from the link above:
> "However, no one has picked up the subject of older carbureted cars.
> The addition of ethanol to gasoline causes big problems in a VW
> engine, as ethanol makes the engine run 4% leaner. To compensate for
> 10% ethanol in gasoline (called E10 in some places), you must increase
> the main jet by two steps (e.g., from X125 to X130) and the idle jet
> by one step (from 55 to 60), as 10% ethanol makes the engine run 4%
> leaner."
>
> Here is another good link:http://aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resour...es/jetting.htm
>
> Here is a quote from this link:
> "Why Jet? If it's too rich, the extra fuel will wash the oil off your
> cylinders and wear out your pistons, cylinders, and rings quickly (no
> oil), in addition to building up deposits on your valves, heads, and
> piston tops. If it's too lean, the engine will run very hot, misfire,
> and can eventually lead to a burnt valve(s). Get it right!"

Good god guys, I've run E- 10 in my vw's for 20 plus years and I've
never heard so much crap in one posting at one time. E10 is slightly
higher octane and sold as "super" in iowa and unleaded is the regular
blend at 87 octane while the E10 is 89. The engines run better, not
worse as they were designed to run on fuels with higher numbers. The
alcohol blends run cooler. You do not need larger jets. The E85 I
run in my ford is 105 octane and is better on vehicles over 10 to 1
compression ratios. Alcohol is slower burn than gas so it can be more
complete with the proper timing and compression ratios in higher
ratios but E-10 will not show any negative problems such as described
or need any changes in carb or timing.....Change the fuel filters
after switching from unleaded to E-10 as it will clean the tank and
lines and the clogged filters can cause the problems. Dennis
Old July 31st 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Dennis" > wrote in message
>Good god guys, I've run E- 10 in my vw's for 20 plus years and I've
>never heard so much crap in one posting at one time. E10 is slightly
>higher octane and sold as "super" in iowa and unleaded is the regular
>blend at 87 octane while the E10 is 89. The engines run better, not
>worse as they were designed to run on fuels with higher numbers. The
>alcohol blends run cooler. You do not need larger jets.

LOL.... "crap" because one guy thinks it.... sweet...

anyway, over the 20 years or so i've been driving we are subjected to 10%
ethanol at regular intervals...usually as the prices go up... and yes, it
always made a difference... we don't just get it in our super or supreme we
get it across the board...

(FYI the engines were designed to run on lower octane fuels, not higher)

Old July 31st 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> It very well could cause a loss in performance. I need to locate a
> station near me that sells 100% gasoline...
>
> Les

Try the airport. 100low-lead aviation fuel is pure gasoline. You'll
know if you have the 'good stuff' if you take a sample in a clear
container, it'll be a light blue color.

Chris
Old July 31st 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dennis[_4_]

On Jul 30, 9:09*pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> "Dennis" > wrote in message

> *>Good god guys, I've run E- 10 in my vw's for 20 plus years and I've
>
> >never heard so much crap in one posting at one time. *E10 is slightly
> >higher octane and sold as "super" in iowa and unleaded is the regular
> >blend at 87 octane while the E10 is 89. *The engines run better, not
> >worse as they were designed to run on fuels with higher numbers. * The
> >alcohol blends run cooler. *You do not need larger jets.

> LOL.... "crap" because one guy thinks it.... sweet...
>
> anyway, over the 20 years or so i've been driving we are subjected to 10%
> ethanol at regular intervals...usually as the prices go up... and yes, it
> always made a difference... we don't just get it in our super or supreme we
> get it across the board...
>
> (FYI the engines were designed to run on lower octane fuels, not higher)

No friend, higher. I don't know much about a lot of stuff so I
usually end my postings with the quote that "this is just my opinion
of course". I did not do this on my last posting because I do know
about octane ratings, alcohol, and gasolines. I stand by all I said.
You did get me to check some of my older books( these books are older
than your driving experience and back when gasoline had some octane to
begin with). For example the 68 vw type 1 was designed to be timed on
91 octane regular gas. If you timed with lower, cheaper gas with
lower octane you should retard the timing to compensate or you could
risk pinging under full throltle and or the engine running hotter than
it should. Yes, hotter with to much advance on lower octane, cooler
with higher octane. Not my opinion, just the facts. Dennis