A complete Newbie needs help

Old May 21st 05, 04:25 PM

Default A complete Newbie needs help

My wife of 9 years has been "Yearning" for an old Beetle so yesturday
I bought her a 1970 Beetle. Here is my problem,..

I'm a computer dweeb! I have a great deal with my mechanic,.. I don't
touch my car and he doesn't touch his computer. This works well since
I couldn't even change the oil and he can't replace a hard drive
<Grin>

But now I have this 70 Beetle and there are a few small problems that
I don't even know where to begin to fix. Things like,.. and you are
going to laugh at this,...

What is the red light on the dash with the B on it?

Why does it come on every now and then?

Is the oil light supposed to come on when you shift (does this when
it's first started and the engine is cold)?

What is the best resource book out there?

Where is the best place to get parts (I live in Watkins Glen NY?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! Where do I begin???????

Ken
Old May 21st 05, 04:55 PM
johnboy

> wrote in message
> My wife of 9 years has been "Yearning" for an old Beetle so yesturday
> I bought her a 1970 Beetle. Here is my problem,..
>
> I'm a computer dweeb! I have a great deal with my mechanic,.. I don't
> touch my car and he doesn't touch his computer.

Well, your wife needs to be sensitive to the fact that the ACVW is a
problematic vehicle, always has been, and as technology has advanced, it's
worse than ever for people who are accustomed to 150,000 miles without
having to get greasy.

So to that end, and in the spirit of your agreement with the mechanic,
suggest to her that she bring the Bug to the mechanic and that she pay for
repairs and in return you won't take on a mistress or two.

Old May 21st 05, 05:15 PM
MUADIB®

>My wife of 9 years has been "Yearning" for an old Beetle so yesturday
>I bought her a 1970 Beetle. Here is my problem,..

Welcome to the world of Beetles!

Make certain you know how to spell Volkswagen, Beetle, and other
words, as they will cause more than a little grief for you in this
group. Many here are genius level with other things and feel the urge
to correct simple things such as grammar and spelling, even though
this is not alt.spelling or alt.grammar newsgroup. ( yer doin' fine so
far) Yeah, there are some computer nuts here that you might be able to
help too believe it or not. Some might be able to help you also.
Also remember when you post questions related to your car, make sure
and include pertinent info such as make , model, engine, etc....Saves
about 25 posts asking what year and model your car is. Keep in mind
that ALL air cooled VW's are discussed here, even that *old* stuff
prior to many of our births.

>I'm a computer dweeb! I have a great deal with my mechanic,.. I don't
>touch my car and he doesn't touch his computer. This works well since
>I couldn't even change the oil and he can't replace a hard drive
><Grin>

Maybe I should make me some deals like that with my doctor.......

>But now I have this 70 Beetle and there are a few small problems that
>I don't even know where to begin to fix. Things like,.. and you are
>going to laugh at this,...

We laugh with you, not at you, just yet anyway.

>What is the red light on the dash with the B on it?

That little light is the brake system warning light. Need I say more?

>Why does it come on every now and then?

Ok,.........If you have a failing brake circuit, it lights up. this
could be caused by low/no fluid in font or rear circuit, or a bad
switch. ( other wiring issues can cause it but we'll keep it simple
for now.)

>Is the oil light supposed to come on when you shift (does this when
>it's first started and the engine is cold)?

NO!, that's an emphatic NO! If the oil light is coming on for any
reason, it will generally be because of little or no oil pressure.
This is the demise of many VW engines. Make sure you get a thorough
understanding of this from your mech next time you get a chance. But
for now, check the oil daily. Have the mechanic do an oil change and
make sure the correct oil is in the engine. Between shifts sounds like
it could be idling a bit low or low oil level, or major cooling
issues.

>What is the best resource book out there?

Now you've gone and done it! There's a myriad of answers to this one.
I will suggest you listen to EVERY ONE OF THEM.
Get all the books you can afford. Discussion, tech, general info,
Haynes, Chiltons, Muir's, VW Bentley's, VW factory manuals, and do
lots of searches online for other information on parts and technical
articles.............all will likely be needed at one point or
another.
>Where is the best place to get parts (I live in Watkins Glen NY?

Another one of those subjective things huh?.........You sure ask a lot
of questions.
I can't do much for you in your area, but online parts are all over
the place. It will be suggested by many who have done business with
them, to bookmark http://www.aircooled.net/
I suggest you do some google searches and see what others have been
doing also. Many online to work with. some are good for certain parts.
Others are good for other parts.

>PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! Where do I begin???????

Take a deep breath and look up by searching GOOGLE and all other web
searches. Search for Bob Hoover or TULZ. Both are enlightening, (and
the same person. He writes very well, and is fun to read and very
informative. Someone else will likely have more direct links to share,
but I don't have links to much of it at this time.

Good luck Ken, and once again Welcome.
>Ken

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Old May 21st 05, 05:27 PM
geoffers

Hello! Glad to see a fellow V'dubber. You are lucky: it would seem that
most people's wives would prefer us to spend less time with our cars.

The red light on the dash with the B on it is the "generator" light I
believe (diferent years of cars have different labels for the same
things). So, it tells you two things: that the generator (or alternator)
is not spinning fast enough to produce current to recharge the battery OR
there is a engine cooling problem since the engine fan is connected to
generator/alternator.

The oil light and generator light should not come on when you shift. In
fact, in normal operation, they should not come on at all after the engine
is started (they only come on when you put the key in the ignition before
you start the car so you know that the system as well as indicator bulbs
are working fine). My guess is that your engine needs a tuneup so that
the engine, when idling, runs much smoother (among other things).

Best resource book?
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=v179

Best place to get parts?
http://www.aircooled.net

Since you are a computer guy, I would suggest that you get digital
pictures of various areas of your car that you believe need attention.
That way, it will help people on this group try to diagnose any issue that
may pop up for you. PLEASE DON'T attach the pictures in your posts here
but rather set up some sort of website where you can post the pictures and
send us the link instead. And make sure that you and/or your mechanic
gets read up on the safety knowledge of the aircooled vw beetle (such as
never attaching a fuel filter in between the fuel pump and the carburetor).

good luck!
Geoffe Elias
'74 Super Beetle

Old May 21st 05, 06:38 PM

Someone suggested a web page with photos and that is a very good
idea,.. so here it is.

http://www.cybercat-net.com/kimbug

Have a look if it helps

I talked to my mechanic and he tells me that I have a brake problem,..
I guess I need to replace the Brake cylinders or Pistons,... I don't
remember exactly what he said <Grin>. But we are moving foward anyway
and I apreciate all your comments. Keep em coming!!!!!

Ken
Old May 21st 05, 08:17 PM
Kidd Andersson

MUADIB® wrote:
>>My wife of 9 years has been "Yearning" for an old Beetle so yesturday
>>I bought her a 1970 Beetle. Here is my problem,..

> Welcome to the world of Beetles!
>
> Make certain you know how to spell Volkswagen, Beetle, and other
> words, as they will cause more than a little grief for you in this
> group. Many here are genius level with other things and feel the urge
> to correct simple things such as grammar and spelling, even though
> this is not alt.spelling or alt.grammar newsgroup. ( yer doin' fine so
> far)

He misspelled "yesterday".

Sorry. Again I couldn't resist since you made such a production about it.

Don't worry, Ken. We aren't that bad. It's all in good fun. Muad's just
mad because I like to pick on him.
I'm glad you came to the Wonderful World of Volkswagens. See? Nobody can
rag on me now. Here's someone who knows just as much as I do about them
to take my place in ramva.

Have fun!

K.
Old May 21st 05, 10:05 PM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 15:17:42 -0400, Kidd Andersson
> wrote:

THe reason I know so much about computers today is that I needed
something with a spell checker,.. still do as a matter of fact. But
one thing led to another and now I know more about computers than I
ever thought possible. But now it seems I have to learn about
Beetles,.. can't be worse than tearing down a PC and fixing it,.. just
more grease involved <G>.

Ken

Old May 22nd 05, 01:00 AM
Jack Woltz

Looking at the pics, it looks like the car is a 1973, not a 1970
(assuming no modifications).

Alternator equipped engine, later emissions style air cleaner, large
horn pad steering wheel, later style speedometer, no wiper switch on
dash, etc. Looks like later (73 up) tail lights.

Still, looks like an "intact" original / complete car. If the body is
as good underneath (floors, heater channels, rear package tray, etc) as
the exterior looks in the pics, just about any mechanical problem should
not be too much of a worry as long as the car is safe to drive.

Looks like a nice driver / keeper, especially for the snowy Northeast.
How about a brief history?

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Old May 22nd 05, 01:19 AM
MUADIB®

On Sat, 21 May 2005 17:38:21 GMT, wrote:

>Someone suggested a web page with photos and that is a very good
>idea,.. so here it is.

http://www.cybercat-net.com/kimbug

>Have a look if it helps
>
>I talked to my mechanic and he tells me that I have a brake problem,..
>I guess I need to replace the Brake cylinders or Pistons,... I don't
>remember exactly what he said <Grin>. But we are moving foward anyway
>and I apreciate all your comments. Keep em coming!!!!!
>
>Ken

Wow Ken, If it's 70 model there's some problems already evident in
those photos. I hate to tell you this, but it's not normal to have
that steering wheel in a 70 model VW. It's also not a 70 if it has
those "half moon" things behind the back windows, Those started in 71.
The Bumpers look OK but the rear fenders are 73 model. They have the
"round" tailights and "slot" type bumper bracket holes.............the
only year both were on the same car was 73. 70 Model rear deck lid
(engine cover) only had two sets of louvers in it. yours has 4 sets.
Is it possible that this car is actually a 73???? or some other level
of another year model on a 70 model chassis?

Check the VIN against some of the info on the web. Maybe someone will
post a good site to ID the year model. Or consult your Title and see
what it says. Maybe it says 73 model on it. ash is not a 70 model
either , or a 71 for that matter..................unless it's a
Mexican Beetle. Open the front lid and look at the apron area and see
if it says "MEXICO" stamped in there somewhere..............But that
still doesn;t explain everything..............

Looks very nice though, even with the oddities.

Here's a couple of pics of an actual 70 model to compare to. It's a
little wrinkled and has the wrong wheels, but it is mostly correct as
far as body is concerned.

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/ssterile/70bug.html