A complete Newbie needs help

Old May 22nd 05, 02:22 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message

But now it seems I have to learn about
> >Beetles,.. can't be worse than tearing down a PC and fixing it,.. just
> >more grease involved <G>.
> >
> >Ken

> Your knuckles will get busted up a lot more working on a VW than they
> do working on a PC. ;-)

yep....and Shag is speaking from experience, eh?

Old May 22nd 05, 02:41 AM

Your Kidding!!!

I checked the registration and title,.. both say 1970 VOLKS
VIN # 1102031461

It's to dark to go out and look for the MEXICO stamp but I will in the
morning. I do know that it was sold out of a dealership in Fort
Collins CO because the Dealer's emblem is on the back,.. but after
looking at things I'm wondering what has happened here. I'm not sure
about anything any more !!!!! Any Ideas?????

Ken

Old May 22nd 05, 02:45 AM

>Looking at the pics, it looks like the car is a 1973, not a 1970
>(assuming no modifications).
>
>Alternator equipped engine, later emissions style air cleaner, large
>horn pad steering wheel, later style speedometer, no wiper switch on
>dash, etc. Looks like later (73 up) tail lights.
>
>Still, looks like an "intact" original / complete car. If the body is
>as good underneath (floors, heater channels, rear package tray, etc) as
>the exterior looks in the pics, just about any mechanical problem should
>not be too much of a worry as long as the car is safe to drive.
>
>Looks like a nice driver / keeper, especially for the snowy Northeast.
>How about a brief history?

I wish I had the history now,.. I bought it from a Dentist who was
selling it to finsh off a divorce. He said that he bought it 5 years
ago from a mechanic who was the one who did the bulk of the work,..
new paint,.. that sort of thing. The Registration and title both say
it's a 1970 though so it looks like I have a real mystrey on my my
hands.

Body is very solid though so I'm going to keep working at it,... I
just wish I knew more about them,.. but I will say,.. you all are
helping me learn,.. THANKS!!!!

Ken
Old May 22nd 05, 03:18 AM
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
>
> I wish I had the history now,.. I bought it from a Dentist who was
> selling it to finsh off a divorce. He said that he bought it 5 years
> ago from a mechanic who was the one who did the bulk of the work,..
> new paint,.. that sort of thing. The Registration and title both say
> it's a 1970 though so it looks like I have a real mystrey on my my
> hands.

it is NOT uncommon for a body to be placed onto a different
chassis(pan)...most states will/do title and register the "new"
car(differing body and chassis) as the number the chassis was given at the
factory...look at the corner of the windshield(left side) and compare the
VIN number there with that on the title....although it is very simple to
change this tag it is commonly left as the "old" number(and *should
be*).....the chassis VIN is located under the rear seat....it is stamped
into the top of the tunnel near the shifter linkage plate from the
factory....i agree with others taht the body on your car is a 73....the
chassis could be a 70 model(likely) and not affect anything....the only
difference i can think of right off(and that does not mean its the only
difference) between a 70 chassis and a 73 chassis is the front tranny
mount....

Old May 22nd 05, 04:31 AM
Jack Woltz

As the others have said, this car could be a 1973 body on a 1970 floor
pan, and thus registered as a 1970,

How are the front seats mounted to the floor? I think 1973 was the
first year for the new-fangled seat mounting that used a kind of
tri-angle shaped metal box for the front seat mounting, which is part of
the floor. 1972 and back used two rails welded to the floor.

I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of tearing out good seat mounting
rails from a good 1970 pan only to replace them with the 1973 tri-angle
box style mounts just to match the 1973 body. This looks like a nice
car, but not a concours piece.

But then again, who knows?

So, If the front seats use the tri-angle box as the front mount, it
"looks" like the car is a 1973. If the front seats are mounted on two
rails, it "looks" like the floor pan / chassis is a 1970 with a 1973
body.

Unless you have already paid alot of $$$$ for the car, I would not worry
too much about it. If the NY DMV has no issues with the regisration,
neither should you. But when ordering parts, you need to know the
correct year for some items.

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Old May 22nd 05, 04:50 AM
John Willis

On Sat, 21 May 2005 15:25:09 GMT, scribbled this
interesting note:

>My wife of 9 years has been "Yearning" for an old Beetle so yesturday
>I bought her a 1970 Beetle. Here is my problem,..

You just have one? I wish I could be so lucky!:~) (Problems or
Beetles? Take your pick. Oftentimes the two are indistinguishable!:~)

>I'm a computer dweeb! I have a great deal with my mechanic,.. I don't
>touch my car and he doesn't touch his computer. This works well since
>I couldn't even change the oil and he can't replace a hard drive
><Grin>

I agree with Scott on this one...wish we could have this agreement
with our Doctor(s)!

>But now I have this 70 Beetle and there are a few small problems that
>I don't even know where to begin to fix. Things like,.. and you are
>going to laugh at this,...
>
>What is the red light on the dash with the B on it?

Ignore all the other replies on this question. My Father-in-Law had
the right answer to this question...a bit of wisdom he passed on
(along with a yellow 1969 Beetle Convertible to his daughter-now my
wife.) That red button with the letter "B" on it is really for the
ultra-secret weapon that was installed as a dealer option on all
Beetles with that button.........it is the way to part traffic (much
like the Red Sea). It is the Blaster Button!!!!!!!!

>Why does it come on every now and then?

Those sneaky Germans also had advanced AI technology back then. You
know that original horse hair stuffing in the seats? It is really a
super complex positronic net that runs off the static electricity that
would otherwise build up from your clothing clad posterior rubbing on
the plastic seat covers. It is designed to automatically know when you
will be needing traffic to clear and takes care of that for you!:~)

>Is the oil light supposed to come on when you shift (does this when
>it's first started and the engine is cold)?

That would be a no. Best look into that.

>What is the best resource book out there?

The official factory original workshop manual. The example I have is
in a three ring binder. There is an abridged version known as the
Robert Bentley (check the spelling on that) that claims to be factory
authorized, but it isn't as complete. Check eBay. In all honesty, get
all the manuals you can find as some flavors cover some things better
than others. From the Idiot's Guide (the original "Idiot's Guide") to
the Clymer to the Haynes to the Bentley to the factory original to How
to Hot-Rod Your VW, they all have something to add and say things in
slightly different ways and use slightly different photos. In this
case, too much information is not enough.

>Where is the best place to get parts (I live in Watkins Glen NY?

www.aircooled.net is best for parts and information. John C. offers
lots of technical information there for free. And read all you can the
folks like Speedy Jim and Bob Hoover have to say. Google really is
your friend in this case.

>PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! Where do I begin???????
>
>Ken

Ken, you are already in far deeper than you think. Like quicksand, the
more you struggle the worse it becomes. Calm yourself. Center
yourself. Breath deep and regularly. Close you eyes if that helps. In
the morning you will still have a new hobby. It won't go away. In time
you will come to an understanding with your addiction. The first step
is to recognize you have a problem. That's what we are here for.
Fellow addicts. We will guide you. We have the experience. Bring your
problems, we will find the solutions. No guarantee you'll like those
solutions, but there you have it.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old May 22nd 05, 01:04 PM

I'm begining to feel a little overwhelmed by all of this. From what I
gathered so far I own a 1973 Beetle on a 1970 Chasiss,.. or at least
that is what I get so far <Grin>. I think I got hosed since I paid
$4,000 but I can't blalme the guy I got it from,.. he just never took
the time to learn about his Beetle. The paperwork said 1970 so that is
what he went by. On the bright side he told me that he paid $5000 for
it 6 years ago so I did a little better than he did <Grin>

As far as the body goes it is in great shape,... all the fenders and
the metel is solid and strong. The frame is rust free. There is no
sagging of the doors and the floor boards are great.

Mechanicly the only thing I've seen so far that needs any work is the
brakes,.. the cylinders are froozen up on a few of them and my
Mechanic says he can replace them all as well as give it a full tune
up for about $300. For any of you "Vintage" race fans my mechanic is
Tom Smalley,.. the son of Lester Smalley who was instrumental in
starting the road race here in Watkins Glen. He does repairs on all
the new cars but his heart still belongs to the "Good Old Days" of the
road race. His shop was the place where Tech inspections were done in
the 50's and is about to be put on the nationsal registry of historic
places. One room of his shop is a museum dedicated to road racing in
Watkins Glen.

SO I guess my next step is to finsih me research and do the repairs
mentioned. I'm not going to take it back and demand my money since I
still like the car and see the potential. A works in progress is what
it will become and maye in a few years I will have it all done. From
the looks of things I don't have much to do. Maybe I can get NY to
change the year to a 73 since it's closer to that than the 70 they
have it listed as. I'm not beaten Yet!!!!!!! Confused but not beaten!

Ken
Old May 22nd 05, 01:41 PM
Shag

Spyware/viruses have eaten up my web server to the point that it's
popping up obscene ads on the screen so I'm in the process right now
of fdisk/format/reinstall so that link below won't work for a little
while. :-)

http://railadventures.dyndns.org/rail/exhausting/12.jpg Imagine my