2006 Wrangler won't start

Old May 23rd 12, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Default 2006 Wrangler won't start

Daughter called her "resident mechanic" tonight. After getting the whole
story, it turns out that the starter isn't turning. I've put her thru the
drill enough times that she checked the battery (headlights on, they don't
dim when she hit the starter, etc.) It's a manual tranny so I told her to
listen for the starter solenoid - no click. Does the 2006 4.0L 6 have a
neutral safety switch and is is prone to problems with the ignition switch
module like some of the older ones?

Next step is the hammer to the starter routine ;-) Any further suggestions?

--
Will Honea

Old May 24th 12, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Will Honea wrote:
> Daughter called her "resident mechanic" tonight. After getting the
> whole story, it turns out that the starter isn't turning. I've put
> her thru the drill enough times that she checked the battery
> (headlights on, they don't dim when she hit the starter, etc.) It's a
> manual tranny so I told her to listen for the starter solenoid - no
> click. Does the 2006 4.0L 6 have a neutral safety switch and is is
> prone to problems with the ignition switch module like some of the
> older ones?
>
> Next step is the hammer to the starter routine ;-) Any further
> suggestions?

Got me on the NSS. I don't think they have one (based on
some remote car starter warnings)

Fuse (22 I think) the 2006 had a habbit of eating them.

--
DougW

Old May 24th 12, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

DougW wrote:

> Will Honea wrote:
>> Daughter called her "resident mechanic" tonight. After getting the
>> whole story, it turns out that the starter isn't turning. I've put
>> her thru the drill enough times that she checked the battery
>> (headlights on, they don't dim when she hit the starter, etc.) It's a
>> manual tranny so I told her to listen for the starter solenoid - no
>> click. Does the 2006 4.0L 6 have a neutral safety switch and is is
>> prone to problems with the ignition switch module like some of the
>> older ones?
>>
>> Next step is the hammer to the starter routine ;-) Any further
>> suggestions?

> Got me on the NSS. I don't think they have one (based on
> some remote car starter warnings)
>
> Fuse (22 I think) the 2006 had a habbit of eating them.

Personally, I consider the NSS (or the clutch-activated alternative) to be
worse than useless. Try using the starter to motor your way out of traffic
with some of those "features"....

Anyway, I called her back and found that her idea of a push start was two
gals pushing while the third was steering and handling the clutch. Talk
about pi**ing into the wind! Owner's hubby showed up and used his pickup to
roll her down the road and it started first crack. She called her friend
and the thing starter still was still AWOL so she passed on the hammer trick
- worked like a charm but it's still starter time.

What does the fuse "protect", anyway? All my stuff is too old for any of
the books to help.

--
Will Honea

Old May 24th 12, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Will Honea wrote:
> DougW wrote:
>
>> Will Honea wrote:
>>> Daughter called her "resident mechanic" tonight. After getting the
>>> whole story, it turns out that the starter isn't turning. I've put
>>> her thru the drill enough times that she checked the battery
>>> (headlights on, they don't dim when she hit the starter, etc.) It's
>>> a manual tranny so I told her to listen for the starter solenoid -
>>> no click. Does the 2006 4.0L 6 have a neutral safety switch and is
>>> is prone to problems with the ignition switch module like some of
>>> the older ones?
>>>
>>> Next step is the hammer to the starter routine ;-) Any further
>>> suggestions?

>> Got me on the NSS. I don't think they have one (based on
>> some remote car starter warnings)
>>
>> Fuse (22 I think) the 2006 had a habbit of eating them.

> Personally, I consider the NSS (or the clutch-activated alternative)
> to be worse than useless. Try using the starter to motor your way out
> of traffic with some of those "features"....
>
> Anyway, I called her back and found that her idea of a push start was
> two gals pushing while the third was steering and handling the
> clutch. Talk about pi**ing into the wind! Owner's hubby showed up
> and used his pickup to roll her down the road and it started first
> crack. She called her friend and the thing starter still was still
> AWOL so she passed on the hammer trick - worked like a charm but it's
> still starter time.
>
> What does the fuse "protect", anyway? All my stuff is too old for
> any of the books to help.

I goofed. (keep in mind this is an 2003 TJ)
Fuse 20 (20A) in the dash, powers the engine starter relay when
you want to bypass the NSS. (which is a clutch position switch)
So 20 basically shorts the NSS.
It's also a handy place to drop in a bypass switch with inline fuse.

Fuse 6 (30A) under the hood, goes through the starter relay and then on
to the solinoid.

Talk about overtaking the plumbing.

Fairly simple wiring

--
DougW

Old May 25th 12, 07:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

DougW wrote:

> I goofed. (keep in mind this is an 2003 TJ)
> Fuse 20 (20A) in the dash, powers the engine starter relay when
> you want to bypass the NSS. (which is a clutch position switch)
> So 20 basically shorts the NSS.
> It's also a handy place to drop in a bypass switch with inline fuse.
>
> Fuse 6 (30A) under the hood, goes through the starter relay and then on
> to the solinoid.
>
> Talk about overtaking the plumbing.
>
> Fairly simple wiring

OK, makes sense. The newest Jeep I own myself is the 88 MJ and after
swapped out that French 5-spd for an AX-15 there is no hint of any of those
"safety" features.

Let's see... replace the switch with a fuse... Sounds like a decent Jeep fix
to me.

--
Will Honea