high oil pressure

Old May 25th 12, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k[_3_]

Default high oil pressure

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6-cyl - 2001 -
had the usual oil change
and now notice the oil pressure gauge
is reading much higher than normal.

The round graduated guage has - 0 - 40 - 80 -
the needle usually sits at 40,
but is now resting more between 40/80 at "60" or higher...

SO - issues -
oil filter ?
pressure sender ?
other ?

--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

Old May 25th 12, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

ps56k wrote:
> Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6-cyl - 2001 -
> had the usual oil change
> and now notice the oil pressure gauge
> is reading much higher than normal.
>
> The round graduated guage has - 0 - 40 - 80 -
> the needle usually sits at 40,
> but is now resting more between 40/80 at "60" or higher...
>
> SO - issues -
> oil filter ?
> pressure sender ?
> other ?

99% of the time it's a bad sender.
A sure tell is when oil starts to poke out around the
electrical connector.

First step though is to remove the connector, clean it,
and put it back.

You can either throw a part at it or put in a mechanical
pressure tester and see what the pressure really is.

http://www.revbeergoggles.com/Fixes/...r-oil-pressure

--
DougW

Old May 26th 12, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

On 5/24/2012 19:31, DougW wrote:
> ps56k wrote:
>> Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6-cyl - 2001 -
>> had the usual oil change
>> and now notice the oil pressure gauge
>> is reading much higher than normal.
>>
>> The round graduated guage has - 0 - 40 - 80 -
>> the needle usually sits at 40,
>> but is now resting more between 40/80 at "60" or higher...
>>
>> SO - issues -
>> oil filter ?
>> pressure sender ?
>> other ?

> 99% of the time it's a bad sender.
> A sure tell is when oil starts to poke out around the
> electrical connector.
>
> First step though is to remove the connector, clean it,
> and put it back.
>
> You can either throw a part at it or put in a mechanical
> pressure tester and see what the pressure really is.
>
> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/Fixes/...r-oil-pressure

I've noticed that the newer replacement ones seem to be a bit less flaky
than the older ones. Since roughly 2205-2006. Original stunk, as
accurate as a Ouija Board. Replacement reasonable until it got hot, and
for good measure started leaking. Third time seems the charm. They
are trivially easy to replace thank goodness.

Old May 28th 12, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Lon wrote:
> On 5/24/2012 19:31, DougW wrote:
>> ps56k wrote:
>>> Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6-cyl - 2001 -
>>> had the usual oil change
>>> and now notice the oil pressure gauge
>>> is reading much higher than normal.
>>>
>>> The round graduated guage has - 0 - 40 - 80 -
>>> the needle usually sits at 40,
>>> but is now resting more between 40/80 at "60" or higher...
>>>
>>> SO - issues -
>>> oil filter ?
>>> pressure sender ?
>>> other ?

>> 99% of the time it's a bad sender.
>> A sure tell is when oil starts to poke out around the
>> electrical connector.
>>
>> First step though is to remove the connector, clean it,
>> and put it back.
>>
>> You can either throw a part at it or put in a mechanical
>> pressure tester and see what the pressure really is.
>>
>> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/Fixes/...r-oil-pressure
>>

> I've noticed that the newer replacement ones seem to be a bit less
> flaky than the older ones. Since roughly 2205-2006. Original
> stunk, as accurate as a Ouija Board. Replacement reasonable until it
> got hot, and for good measure started leaking. Third time seems the
> charm. They are trivially easy to replace thank goodness.

Tried to find the ol POS, but NAPA had two versions in the lower end.
The high end echelon is what I have now (5 years old). In the lower
end there were two, one was obviously cheap crimped/pot metal with bad
machining. The other looked a lot better. It also looks a lot like the
ones you find at Autozone, PepBoys, or ORiley's...

I went with the cheaper better looking one and it lasted just a bit more
than a year before barfing oil out the connections. Just doesn't pay to
save $10 on that part.

Considering how old the Heep is getting I'm going to order new sensors
all around. Probably some new harness bits and hardline vac tubing
as well. Still cheaper to fix than replace. That and who can
argue over a $18 tag

--
DougW