Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

Old February 19th 18, 03:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
micky

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 19 Feb 2018 01:08:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave
Plowman (News)" > wrote:

>In article >,
> Sanity Clause > wrote:
>> Back to the actual question: 3-inch extension keeps you close to the
>> nut, unlikely to twist sideways and fall off. 16-inch extension has the
>> possibility of pulling the socket out of alignment, maybe rounding off
>> the nut, and scraping your knuckles (and your shiny new wrench) on the
>> ground, UNLESS you properly support the wrench at the head end to keep
>> it straight.

>If you have a spare jack, place it under the extension bar to reduce
>sideways load on the socket. You can then use your full body weight on the
>breaker bar with less chance of breaking the tools.

Good idea.

I left my car sitting for a month after I had surgery, and one wheel had
no cover. And snow covered up to the top bolt for most of the month.

Months later, I was at Newark Airport and when I got back to the car, it
had a flat tire. I had the jack handle/lug wrench, and the bolts were
rusted on so tight I had to stand on the wrench to loosen them, I even
had to lift my body up and down on a couple, and I broke off 3.

What to do? Leave the car there, have it towed to a shop, take public
transportation back to NYC and then to Brooklyn, then take public
transportation back the next day, or drive home.

Of course, i drove.

Tire was on the left rear,and every time I turned right it went clop,
clop, clop. When I turned left or went straight, it was quiet.

Drove on Route 1 -- fairly quiet because most people on the Turnpike --
to the Holland Tunnel. What to do? If you break down in the Holland
Tunnel, you delay traffic when it's heavy (This was Sunday evening, when
everyone is coming back from the weekend) so they keep a tow truck there
all the time. But they charge you a 100 or 200 in the 1970's which
would be at least 500 now. Still, it had worked well so I took the
tunnel. Turned east on a small street towards the Brooklyn Bridge and
just as I got to Broadway, big thump. Got out. Wheel has come off the
car. Last two lug nuts had broken. What to do?

Almost no cars Sunday night, but Monday morning it's lower Manhattan
rush hour. Cars everywhere. Not allowed to park on the narrow street I
was on. Scouted ahead and found a parking lot a short block North up
Broadway, which is one-way South.

Jacked up the car, put it on on the brake drum with no bolts. Lowered
the car and drove. Got 8 feet!! Hey, that's pretty good, but then the
wheel fell off. Jacked up the car, put it on on the brake drum with no
bolts. Lowered the car and drove. Didn't make it 2 inches. Wheel fell
off. Jacked up the car, put it on on the brake drum with no bolts.
Lowered the car and drove. This time it went 40 feet to Broadway,
turned left (the good direction) 100 fett up Broadway, left across the
curb and sidewalk into the parking lot. All in one shot. The wheel
fell off just as I got fully inside the parking lot.

Took the subway home and returned the next day with tools to punch out
the broken lug nuts, and new lugnuts. Took 45 minutes. Done by 10AM.
Parking lot guy wanted to charge me for 3 spaces because I was parked
sideways, but he caved easily when I said it was only 10 and he'd fill
the spaces, and he only charged me 1.5 times the daily rate. (His point
was that the lot filled up by 9, but I guess I was right that some
people came later.)
Old February 19th 18, 04:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:18:12 -0800, ultred ragnusen

>>>Third question is related to this combination pictu
>>>http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/torquewrench.jpg
>>>Where this question is a combination question of:
>>>a. Why is the green 21mm "lug wrench" so very short compared to all others?

>> To fit in the hole they store the tools in.

>I can't disagree that the shape and length of a purposeful "lug wrench" is
>designed just for removing lug nuts, so certainly that's why it's curved
>the way it is (to fit around the tire sidewall).
>
>Certainly smaller is easier to fit in a car.
>
>Since you can't use a torque wrench and a lug wrench at the same time, I
>was wondering if they made it just short enough so that a normal person
>could not apply "too much" torque to the lug bolts?
>
>Basically, I was asking if it's short because that way, a normal human can
>only apply about 85 foot pounds which is all they can do with that short
>bar and their hands?
>
>Is that just an urban myth?

I've never heard it and I don't think it's true.

It's a multipurpose tool. The tapered end is for removing hubcaps and
wheel covers, and the length is determined by what works for a jack
handle, on the millions of cars which have used this wrench as the
bumper jack handle. If they made it longer, and didn't use a stronger
grade of steel, one could bend it by standing on it. Indeed, I did bend
one that way, and that was when I weighed 170. If it was longer, a lot
of them would end up bent. Once they're bent, they're never as strong
again.
Old February 19th 18, 04:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:58:43 +0000, alan_m
> wrote:

>On 18/02/2018 17:18, ultred ragnusen wrote:
>
>> Since you can't use a torque wrench and a lug wrench at the same time, I
>> was wondering if they made it just short enough so that a normal person
>> could not apply "too much" torque to the lug bolts?

>99.99% of car owners don't own a torque wrench. The short green wrench
>is the cheapest that can be made (and to fit in with jacking tool kit)
>to get someone out of trouble when they have to change of tyre in an
>emergency. In many cases when the tyre has be installed from factory or
>by a the retailer using (air) powered tools most people would find it
>very difficult to undo the wheel nuts with that wrench. Much better to
>discard it and get something with a longer handle
>
>https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Aut...+Wrench/p93520
>
>or
>
>https://tinyurl.com/yag6ddqr
>

>> Basically, I was asking if it's short because that way, a normal human can
>> only apply about 85 foot pounds which is all they can do with that short
>> bar and their hands?
>>

>But don't most people jump on it using their whole body weight ?

Apparently most people don't even change their own tires, if you figure
that 90% of women don't and that's 45% of drivers. Plus what, 10, 20,
30% of men. Of those who do, most don't even think of standing on it,
or, I suspect, are afraid to do so.

Of course there are very few flats these days so getting good data is
harder.

Old February 19th 18, 05:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
ultred ragnusen

wrote:

> certainly, but there is no need for such precision in this application.

This video tested a ten foot extension with the torque wrench.
https://youtu.be/wNcCwdtfcOU?t=413
Old February 19th 18, 09:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Peter Hill[_2_]

On 18-Feb-18 5:42 PM, MrCheerful wrote:

>>> The impact socket is superior for that application - whether using an
>>> impact driver or not. A 12 point socket is better in situations where
>>> fine motion is required.

>> This is good to know that the impact socket is superior, probably for two
>> reasons, right?
>> 1. It has those radius corners (someone said it reduces stress on both
>> the
>> nuts and the socket itself).
>> 2. It is stronger overall (presumably)
>>
>> Since there is always a drawback, I think the drawback might be:
>> 3. They're "fatter" it seems, than my normal sockets
>> 4. They don't seem to come in 12-point sizes (at least mine aren't)
>>

> I use single hex impact sockets for 99.9 percent of jobs, there are
> practically speaking no occasions when they are too fat to get
> somewhere. (better makes are thinner sided than cheap ones)
>
> Unless you have 12 sided nuts/bolts, then you do not need 12 sided
> sockets (there are some odd cars/equipment which use 12 sided hardware)

Garrett turbocharger compressor nuts are bi-hex (and cack handed). I had
to special order a 8mm bi-hex 1/4 drive socket as it's not a stock item.
You won't find bi-hex 1/4 drive sockets even in "pro" socket sets.

All nuts/bolts used by a Derby based jet engine maker are bi-hex flange
nuts/bolts. They are much lighter (and unbelievably expensive when made
from aero grade nickel alloy) as the bi-hex size is at least a size
smaller - there are 12 points to drive it so it's stronger.
Old February 19th 18, 09:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Peter Hill[_2_]

On 19-Feb-18 1:00 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article >,
> Dean Hoffman > wrote:
>> The only British car I see in the mid USA is the Mini.

> Wot - no Range Rovers? Jaguars? Nissans?

None of which are British.

Range Rover and Jaguar are now JLR and owned by Indian steel firm TATA.

Nissan never were British, Japanese forever. Nissan built their
reputation on British and German engineering using an American
production system that the Americans refused to use. The OHV "A" series
engine that powered the Cherry and Sunny though the 60's and 70's was
derived from a licensed copy of the BMC "A" series engine (original
Mini). The SOHC "L" (also bottom end of "KA" and "Z") series engines
that powered 510/710/810/910/Violet/Bluebirds/Zeds was a licensed copy
of a Mercedes 6 cylinder design (had 2 cylinders lopped off for 4 pot
versions). Both had been improved to the extent that the fee was no
longer payable.

Yes new Q30's are being made in Sunderland, UK.
Old February 19th 18, 09:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Graham J

ultred ragnusen wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>> That's strange that Europeans use a half-metric half-what-you-call-Imperial
>>> standard of units.

>> Not necessarily the rest of Europe but the UK.

> Do the Germans and French also use "inch" sizes for their ratchets?

The French at least have a word for "inch" which translates as "thumb"
and is a colloquial measure of length. They also have a word for "foot"
which would be recognised as a length.

There are lots of other historical French units, some of which are still
used in particular applications in (UK) English such as printing (e.g.
points).

--
Graham J

Old February 19th 18, 10:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Peeler

Default Gay ****** Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 01:55:28 +0000, Fredxx, the resident smartass,
smartassed again:

>> You felt personally addressed when "gay ******" was mentioned? Obviously
>> RIGHTLY so, you smartass who can never hold back his gay fantasies! <BG>

> I didn't feel addressed,

Of course you did! You ALWAYS do, whenever the gay ****** gets abused! Go
figure, you gay smartass! <G>

> and I don't feel the need to dribble over PHucker's every post.

Come on, you are as gay as him! Your constant standing up for the gay ******
and your constant gay fantasies do give you away!

>> Remember, gay smartass: you, TOO, claimed to have "killfiled" me! ROTFLOL

> Unfortunately not in uk.rec.cars.maintenance but is easily remedied.

And the cowardly gay smartass quickly hides behind his pretend killfile
again, just like gay ****** Birdbrain keeps doing! You and Birdbrain indeed
ARE a pair! LMAO!
Old February 19th 18, 10:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
alan_m

On 19/02/2018 03:34, micky wrote:

> Of course there are very few flats these days so getting good data is
> harder.

I was talking to someone recently who is in the car rescue / roadside
assistance business and he was saying that one of the growing problems
he sees is that cars come without spare tyres and an increasing number
of call outs are to people where the tyre cannot be repaired with a can
of squirty gunk and there is no spare in the vehicle.

Old February 19th 18, 02:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dean Hoffman > wrote:
> On 2/18/18 7:00 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Dean Hoffman > wrote:
> >> The only British car I see in the mid USA is the Mini.

> > Wot - no Range Rovers? Jaguars? Nissans?
> >

> Shucks. I forgot. I actually know someone who has a Range Rover.
> There was a Jag convertible around for awhile but I haven't seen it
> for years.

Most Jaguars built ain't convertibles.

> Nissans are Japanese, Mexican, or American made at least for the North
> American market.

According to Nissan UK, the US is their second largest export market after
the EU.

--
*I don't believe in astrology. I am a Sagittarius and we're very skeptical.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.