Bad Harmonic Balancer

Old January 10th 06, 03:47 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Bad Harmonic Balancer

I reported in earlier posts that my belts on my '98 C5 were squeaking. I
took it to a friend's shop and he found that the rubber in the harmonic
balancer is all worn and wobbling. He said the belts are old and dry too.
The job is going to cost $679 total, new belts and all. He said it's a 4
hour job to get the harmonic balancer changed. Does that sound about right?

What gets me is that I just had the car at the dealer and they replaced two
tensioners. They said it needed new belts to stop the squeaking. Why didn't
they spot the bad harmonic balancer? Can I get away with not replacing it?
What happens when one fails?

--
Warmest regards,

Steve
Old January 10th 06, 04:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Steve:
> I reported in earlier posts that my belts on my '98 C5 were squeaking. I
> took it to a friend's shop and he found that the rubber in the harmonic
> balancer is all worn and wobbling. He said the belts are old and dry too.
> The job is going to cost $679 total, new belts and all. He said it's a 4
> hour job to get the harmonic balancer changed. Does that sound about right?

Seems about right. It's a rats nest of pipes, hoses, belts, and god
knows what in front of the LS1, and there's little to no room to get at
anything. All the accessories probably have to come off of the front of
the motor to access the harmonic balancer, and maybe even the radiator
and cooling hoses, can't really tell from the pictures I've found.
Regardless, there's a lot to be moved around just to get a hand down to
the area of interest.

> What gets me is that I just had the car at the dealer and they replaced two
> tensioners. They said it needed new belts to stop the squeaking. Why didn't
> they spot the bad harmonic balancer? Can I get away with not replacing it?
> What happens when one fails?

It's kind of hard to see from the top, maybe easier from the bottom.
It's not something that usually fails. Before I'd let them work on it
I'd check to see if there's any TSB's out on it.
To be quite honest, I smell a rat. I've owned quite a few cars over the
years (and most were GM, but not all...) and I've NEVER had a harmonic
balancer go bad.
Now, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. It seems to be a common
failure on newer Mercedes (went surfing the NG's via Google). Didn't see
anything on LS1 HB's, so I doubt it a big failure item.
Get a second or third opinion.
What happens if it fails completely? As it wobbles it'll chew up the
front of the motor including timing chain cover & seal, as well as maybe
the lower pulley and serpentine belt. It could conceivably cause timing
chain problems and maybe even early crankshaft failure.

Good luck!
TomC
'90 ZR1 #792

Old January 10th 06, 06:30 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On 9-Jan-2006, Crabs > wrote:

> > What gets me is that I just had the car at the dealer and they replaced
> > two
> > tensioners. They said it needed new belts to stop the squeaking. Why
> > didn't
> > they spot the bad harmonic balancer? Can I get away with not replacing
> > it?
> > What happens when one fails?

> It's kind of hard to see from the top, maybe easier from the bottom.
> It's not something that usually fails. Before I'd let them work on it
> I'd check to see if there's any TSB's out on it.
> To be quite honest, I smell a rat. I've owned quite a few cars over the
> years (and most were GM, but not all...) and I've NEVER had a harmonic
> balancer go bad.

He put it up on the lift and showed me. The rubber part in the center of the
pully is all cracked and about an inch around the circumference there is no
rubber at all that I can see. When the engine is running it is slightly
wobbling. And it's in a real tight spot. He showed me on a Taurus how easy
it is to get to it. But on the Vette it's inches from the front of what
looks like the frame.

BTW, do you know the URL for Corvette TSB's?

--
Warmest regards,

Steve
Old January 10th 06, 03:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Steve:
> BTW, do you know the URL for Corvette TSB's?

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/10/981006iS.html

Here's a start.
Good luck!

TomC
'90 ZR1 #792
Old January 10th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

--
Ed McAllister, CCRM
Prime Property Management
"Crabs" > wrote in message
> Steve:
>> BTW, do you know the URL for Corvette TSB's?
>>

> http://www.alldata.com/TSB/10/981006iS.html
>
> Here's a start.
> Good luck!
>
> TomC
> '90 ZR1 #792

Jeez, looked up my '04 LS6. Must be 30 or 40 items.

Old January 10th 06, 05:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Crabs" > wrote in message
> Steve:
>> I reported in earlier posts that my belts on my '98 C5 were
>> squeaking. I
>> took it to a friend's shop and he found that the rubber in the
>> harmonic
>> balancer is all worn and wobbling.

I doubt this is the case, it may be loose but no way the rubber is
worn in the balancer. Just to let you know the LS1 has an oil filled
crankshaft and if the bolt comes loose it will allow a black residue
to form. Would have said something earlier but I block spamm.

>> He said the belts are old and dry too.

The belts are old and dry after the first year, it's called flex and
heat checking.

>> The job is going to cost $679 total, new belts and all. He said
>> it's a 4
>> hour job to get the harmonic balancer changed. Does that sound
>> about right?

There is a new bolt that is used to reseal the crankshaft and lock the
balancer back on the crank and as far as I know they don't cost
hundred of dollars. More like an $80 fix.

> Seems about right. It's a rats nest of pipes, hoses, belts, and god
> knows what in front of the LS1, and there's little to no room to get
> at anything. All the accessories probably have to come off of the
> front of the motor to access the harmonic balancer, and maybe even
> the radiator and cooling hoses, can't really tell from the pictures
> I've found. Regardless, there's a lot to be moved around just to get
> a hand down to the area of interest.
>

>> What gets me is that I just had the car at the dealer and they
>> replaced two
>> tensioners. They said it needed new belts to stop the squeaking.
>> Why didn't
>> they spot the bad harmonic balancer? Can I get away with not
>> replacing it?

Let me guess, because there isn't one?

>> What happens when one fails?

The outer ring slips and the engine feels like the block is rotating
around the crank.

> It's kind of hard to see from the top, maybe easier from the bottom.
> It's not something that usually fails. Before I'd let them work on
> it I'd check to see if there's any TSB's out on it.
> To be quite honest, I smell a rat. I've owned quite a few cars over
> the years (and most were GM, but not all...) and I've NEVER had a
> harmonic balancer go bad.

Same here.

> Now, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. It seems to be a common
> failure on newer Mercedes (went surfing the NG's via Google). Didn't
> see anything on LS1 HB's, so I doubt it a big failure item.
> Get a second or third opinion.
> What happens if it fails completely? As it wobbles it'll chew up the
> front of the motor including timing chain cover & seal, as well as
> maybe the lower pulley and serpentine belt. It could conceivably
> cause timing chain problems and maybe even early crankshaft failure.

Don't think so but since I've never seen one fail on a car it's a
guess at best. My best guess is that you would certainly feel it long
before it did that much damage unless it happened on the track at wide
open throttle.

> Good luck!
> TomC
> '90 ZR1 #792

Just to help your belief/disbelief in what I said I worked in the tool
and machine design department for a tier 1 supplier for harmonic
balancers from 1965 to 1968. We tested them to 20,000 RPM unbalanced
before we got any failures. That was most always ring separation and
not rubber deterioration and the rubber got very hot running like that
when unbalanced.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old January 11th 06, 01:07 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Balancer problems have happened to C5s from time to time. And the C6
as well. It needs to be replaced ASAP. And the upgraded parts should
be used. Some like to pin the new balancer since it's still pressed
together and can still separate.

If you need more help, try:
www.corvettemechanic.com or
www.c5forum.com
Old January 11th 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On 10-Jan-2006, "Dad" > wrote:

> > Steve:
> >> I reported in earlier posts that my belts on my '98 C5 were
> >> squeaking. I
> >> took it to a friend's shop and he found that the rubber in the
> >> harmonic
> >> balancer is all worn and wobbling.

> I doubt this is the case, it may be loose but no way the rubber is
> worn in the balancer. Just to let you know the LS1 has an oil filled
> crankshaft and if the bolt comes loose it will allow a black residue
> to form. Would have said something earlier but I block spamm.

I posted a up couple of close up pictures at
http://stephenhorrillo.com/C5_harmonic_balancer.htm. Let me know what you
think. Notice the gap, the cracking rubber and the way it's pushed in on one
side and hanging out on the other. If you need pictures with a higher
resolution or a movie of it spinning let me know.

Should I replace it? If I just replace the belts should the squeaking stop?
When I spray belt dressing on the main belt the sqeaking stops for a little
while but there's still a sort of rattleling sound.

--
Many thanks Dad and everyone,

Steve
Old January 11th 06, 05:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

To quote a regular poster....
As Dad had been suffering much itching and discomfort, moved his belly
out of the way, fished around and finally found "Lil Dad", looked down
and uttered....

"Ugggh...I don't like the look of that!"

LOLOL

Steve Horrillo wrote:

>http://stephenhorrillo.com/C5_harmonic_balancer.htm.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old January 14th 06, 11:54 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Dad-

I know what you're saying..but.. I had an annoying squeeky belt on my 2000
C5. Ultimately, it was quited down by replacing the crankshaft pulley.
Hard to believe.. but it was "wobbly". Car had about 50K miles on it at the
time.

Steve- The pulley is reaplaced from the underneath. The steering rack
needs to come out to get at it. Procharger (ATI) has a kit to pin the
pulley to the crank. You basically drill a hole in the pin of the crank
which goes into the pulley and put a pin in it. In addition to being bolted
on with the big bolt which by the way is not supposed to be reused. I'm
telling you this because if you ever decide to supercharge your car(highly
recommended), your mechanic would have to repeat what he is doing here.
Four hours sounds right for the job.

-Stan
'99 Blown C5 Vert
'00 Coupe

t...

Harmonic Balancer Larry Mazda 1 September 18th 05 07:15 AM
Harmonic Balancer Richard Ford Mustang 6 August 31st 05 06:59 AM
Harmonic balancer on Mazda 626 SQ Technology 5 August 31st 05 12:26 AM
89 g.m. 3.8 harmonic balancer -right or left thread pattern?? ronssilverado Technology 2 July 31st 05 05:45 AM
Need Crankshaft Pulley - Harmonic Balancer Kirsten Saturn 1 May 24th 04 12:46 PM