Some air-cooled fun

Old May 1st 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Some air-cooled fun

I sent out this email this morning while I was still in the mountains.
I'm safe at home now.

OUCH! Rode my motorcycle off of the side of the mountain while
visiting Deal's Gap (tail of the dragon...
http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html) I physically bounced one time
when I hit the pavement, then rolled a few times before coming to a
stop beside my bike on the edge of the cliff.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Dragged it back up the side and rode
it some more. WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Pictures:
(my bike is the black one... the one in FRONT with the sparks flying
off of it from cornering so hard... YEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!!
:-)

http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906173092.jpg
http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906302228.jpg
See the skid-marks in this picture?
http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906315791.jpg
That was from me riding off the side. D'oh!!!!! Like an
iiiiiiiiiidiot!!!!
http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906323147.jpg
The next two pictures are actually not damage from the wreck, but just
damage from cornering so hard up here in the mountains. (Yeah, the
hotel has an internet connection. I'm still here but leaving for home
in about an hour.)
Ground up the left peg feeler, and then the peg itself. THIS STUFF IS
GREAT!!!!
http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906330455.jpg
And the pipes on the right-hand side got a tiny bit scraped up, too:
http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906333493.jpg

I haven't even left yet but can't wait to come back. Plans for the
bike are to raise it up for more ground clearance and to put on a
different exhaust system, also with more ground clearance. And maybe
nitrous oxide for the few straight stretches of road up here. :-D
My life insurance policy is current. ;-)

Old May 1st 06, 09:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Shag wrote:

> I sent out this email this morning while I was still in the mountains.
> I'm safe at home now.
>

> OUCH! Rode my motorcycle off of the side of the mountain while
> visiting Deal's Gap (tail of the dragon...
> http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html) I physically bounced one time
> when I hit the pavement, then rolled a few times before coming to a
> stop beside my bike on the edge of the cliff.
> YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Dragged it back up the side and rode
> it some more. WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Pictures:
> (my bike is the black one... the one in FRONT with the sparks flying
> off of it from cornering so hard... YEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!!
> :-)
>
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906173092.jpg
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906302228.jpg
> See the skid-marks in this picture?
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906315791.jpg
> That was from me riding off the side. D'oh!!!!! Like an
> iiiiiiiiiidiot!!!!
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906323147.jpg
> The next two pictures are actually not damage from the wreck, but just
> damage from cornering so hard up here in the mountains. (Yeah, the
> hotel has an internet connection. I'm still here but leaving for home
> in about an hour.)
> Ground up the left peg feeler, and then the peg itself. THIS STUFF IS
> GREAT!!!!
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906330455.jpg
> And the pipes on the right-hand side got a tiny bit scraped up, too:
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906333493.jpg
>
> I haven't even left yet but can't wait to come back. Plans for the
> bike are to raise it up for more ground clearance and to put on a
> different exhaust system, also with more ground clearance. And maybe
> nitrous oxide for the few straight stretches of road up here. :-D
> My life insurance policy is current. ;-)

A message from my dear sister: DUDE, learn to drive!

Jan
Old May 1st 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Hey Shag, you're supposed to keep it on the pavement. The park rangers get
upset if you scratch the dirt or any trees. Any pieces donated to the Tree
of Shame?

Seriously. stay safe and sane.

Fweem

--
David A. Tosi
Facilities Manager

Also an antique VW nut!
oups.com...

Old May 1st 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Looking at the pictures, you have to learn to shift your butt to the inside
and not sit so straight.

Fweem.

--
David A. Tosi
Facilities Manager

Also an antique VW nut!
oups.com...

Old May 1st 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Shag" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> My life insurance policy is current. ;-)

...........That's good because it isn't going to be much fun comforting your
widowed wife without some money to liven things up while we're in Vegas.

timmy

Old May 1st 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Tim Rogers" > wrote in message
> "Shag" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> My life insurance policy is current. ;-)
>>

> ..........That's good because it isn't going to be much fun comforting
> your
> widowed wife without some money to liven things up while we're in Vegas.
>

> timmy

hey now....kim is a self-respecting woman...she don't want a dirty old man
like you tim...<G>.....she has my number, right shag?

Old May 2nd 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Check to see if your insurance policy mentions motorcycles.. I've seen
where they don't cover injuries to motorcyclists. Just something to
think about.

Do you mind sharing what happened?.. It sounds like you got in over
your head and took a beating for it... but I wasn't there and I could
be wrong.

ground clearance.. best thing to do is get a different bike.. I
know, I know. If you're not correcting things done to the bike
(lowering kit, etc) then changing the suspension geometry outside of
spec might not be a good idea, esp. going higher.

My last bike was a V65 Magna.. current bike is a 1500cc Vulcan
Classic. I could get the Magna kinda far over, but I've dragged the
floorboards turning left through an intersection on the current bike.
But it's comfortable and slows me down.. both are good things.

I like the Superman 'S' on the side.. were you attempting to fly, or
is for Shaggie?

Jim

Old May 2nd 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,rec.motorcycles,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Default Tail of the Dragon Crash - Was - Some air-cooled fun

Shameless top post and cross-post.

subject: How not to ride a motorcycle or Squid on cruiser.... Story and
pics follow.

Bryan

oups.com...

Old May 2nd 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> .......she don't want a dirty old man
> like you tim...<G>

.............After enough liquor, that's exactly what some women want.

LOL

Old May 2nd 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Shag wrote:
> I sent out this email this morning while I was still in the mountains.
> I'm safe at home now.
>

> OUCH! Rode my motorcycle off of the side of the mountain while
> visiting Deal's Gap (tail of the dragon...
> http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html) I physically bounced one time
> when I hit the pavement, then rolled a few times before coming to a
> stop beside my bike on the edge of the cliff.
> YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Dragged it back up the side and rode
> it some more. WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Pictures:
> (my bike is the black one... the one in FRONT with the sparks flying
> off of it from cornering so hard... YEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!!
> :-)
>
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906173092.jpg
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906302228.jpg
> See the skid-marks in this picture?
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906315791.jpg
> That was from me riding off the side. D'oh!!!!! Like an
> iiiiiiiiiidiot!!!!
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906323147.jpg
> The next two pictures are actually not damage from the wreck, but just
> damage from cornering so hard up here in the mountains. (Yeah, the
> hotel has an internet connection. I'm still here but leaving for home
> in about an hour.)
> Ground up the left peg feeler, and then the peg itself. THIS STUFF IS
> GREAT!!!!
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906330455.jpg
> And the pipes on the right-hand side got a tiny bit scraped up, too:
> http://x402.putfile.com/4/11906333493.jpg
>
> I haven't even left yet but can't wait to come back. Plans for the
> bike are to raise it up for more ground clearance and to put on a
> different exhaust system, also with more ground clearance. And maybe
> nitrous oxide for the few straight stretches of road up here. :-D
> My life insurance policy is current. ;-)

It is good fun. I'll be down Memorial Day weekend. Hopefully the cops
won't be too thick. One should be careful there on a bike with so
little ground clearance. I saw the results of a guy who tossed his
bike into a guard rail there one year. It took the police an awfully
long time to drag the body back up the mountain...

And speaking of long falls:

Fatal Fall for Motorcycle Rider on I-70
Dated: 05/01/2006 12:30:58 AM Updated: 05/01/2006 10:36:16 AM

Ohio State Troopers say the motorcycle rider lost control at the worst
possible moment.

The man was on the overpass exiting I-75 onto I-70 around 4 p.m.
Sunday. For some reason, he lost control and crashed into a concrete
barrier, falling over the side wall.

The Montgomery County Coroner's Office identified the victim as 50-year
old Gerri Briggs of Allentown, Pennsylvania.

A number of motorists on the highway saw the accident unfold before
their eyes.

Michael Dudley was one of the witnesses, "I saw the driver of the
motorcycle get over into this concrete wall here and got ejected over
the wall from his motorcycle."

Dudley is a sheriff's deputy who just happened to be on his way home
from work when he saw the motorcyclist lose control.

*Crash investigators say the man fell 50 feet to the ground.*

Dudley says, "There were several of us who ran up here and realized
there was nothing we could do."

By the time paramedics arrived, the man on the bike was already dead.

Investigators say the victim has just purchased the motorcycle locally
on Sunday. He was on his way to his home in Pennsylvania. His wife and
daughter were traveling just ahead of him.

Ohio State Patrol Sgt. Jeff Kramer tells 2 News, "One of the family
members witnessed some of the vehicle losing control and subsequently
seeing the ejecting of the person."

Troopers called a crisis intervention team to the scene and called
other family members to help the wife and daughter cope with the
unexpected death.

Investigators do not believe the man was speeding. They say he was an
experienced motor-cycle rider, but perhaps was unfamiliar with the new
bike and the road.

"Sometimes it's just tragic and looks as if this curve may has
surprised him a little bit, " said Sgt. Kramer. Exactly what caused
Briggs to lose control remains under investigation.