Any other ideas for not too expensive upgrades for type 2 1968 please?

Old July 8th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Any other ideas for not too expensive upgrades for type 2 1968 please?

Hi all,
Sorry I should have been more explicit.
It's a 1968 Kombi chassis no: 238173978. Dormabile top.
Except for the valve train (Bolt up shafts and scat 1.25 rockers and Swivel adjusters)
bought with new heads, the whole bus is stock.

I'm only interested in the three S's areas at the moment. 1. Start 2. Steer And 3. Stop.

Yes the front beam upgrade sounds great for a start but it's going to cost me a lot is'nt it?
What bits would I need and where can I get it?

At the moment my main problem is with the rear brakes and bodywork.
Bodywork is getting sorted we're well able in that respect.
We are in the process of replacing the front panel.

Rear brakes though are a problem. The backplates although not entirely shot are pretty bad.
I would rather replace them than weld them up. But I can't find any new ones.
Any ideas on that one? Does anyone anywhere do new ones?

The boot on my master cylinder is perished and for a bit of rubber I'm not paying out £100+
The outside diameter is 35mm.
Anyone know what other master cylinder repair kit would fit it?

Also I've been wondering about Power Stearing.
Because of my disability the wife is the only one who can drive our van.
Do you know of anyone who has ever fitted PAS to a type 2?

I can do the work myself (well me and my son) so that will save me some money.

Thanks very much for your help.

Larry

Old July 10th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Crusader george

In article >,
> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Sorry I should have been more explicit.
> It's a 1968 Kombi chassis no: 238173978. Dormabile top.
> Except for the valve train (Bolt up shafts and scat 1.25 rockers and Swivel
> adjusters)
> bought with new heads, the whole bus is stock.
>
> I'm only interested in the three S's areas at the moment. 1. Start 2. Steer
> And 3. Stop.
>
> Yes the front beam upgrade sounds great for a start but it's going to cost me
> a lot is'nt it?
> What bits would I need and where can I get it?
>
> At the moment my main problem is with the rear brakes and bodywork.
> Bodywork is getting sorted we're well able in that respect.
> We are in the process of replacing the front panel.
>
> Rear brakes though are a problem. The backplates although not entirely shot
> are pretty bad.
> I would rather replace them than weld them up. But I can't find any new ones.
> Any ideas on that one? Does anyone anywhere do new ones?
>
> The boot on my master cylinder is perished and for a bit of rubber I'm not
> paying out £100+
> The outside diameter is 35mm.
> Anyone know what other master cylinder repair kit would fit it?
>
> Also I've been wondering about Power Stearing.
> Because of my disability the wife is the only one who can drive our van.
> Do you know of anyone who has ever fitted PAS to a type 2?
>
> I can do the work myself (well me and my son) so that will save me some
> money.
>

> Thanks very much for your help.
>
> Larry

traditionally we look for a dead VW that has the "up-grades" we are
looking for or just for spare parts.
some "wrecks" are worth their weight in gold.
that's how we salvaged a '71 van. took apart a '77 , bigger brakes!
otherwise you get nickeled and dimed to death.
Good Luck!

--
"In the future you may be here, but will your dreams?"