'94 Accord Wobbling Brakes

Old March 6th 07, 07:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default '94 Accord Wobbling Brakes

I've got a 1994 Accord EX which had a worsening problem a few months
ago, where the car would shake (fairly violently) during braking at
high speeds - especially downhill and with a carload of people. To
try to fix the problem, I had the brakes - pads and rotors - replaced
about a month and a half ago. Immediately after replacement the
brakes were squealing and grinding, so I took the car back to the shop
and had them install another set of brakes. The same squealing and
grinding occurred again, but it seemed to be lessening over time, so I
decided to drive it for a while to see what would happen. The result
is that now - about 5 weeks later - there is very little squealing and
no grinding, but the original problem of violent wobbling during high-
speed braking is back with a vengeance. I've recently had all four
wheels aligned as well, and I'm becoming really frustrated with the
whole situation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Old March 6th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

wrote in news:1173167655.711860.93280
@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

> I've got a 1994 Accord EX which had a worsening problem a few months
> ago, where the car would shake (fairly violently) during braking at
> high speeds - especially downhill and with a carload of people. To
> try to fix the problem, I had the brakes - pads and rotors - replaced
> about a month and a half ago. Immediately after replacement the
> brakes were squealing and grinding, so I took the car back to the shop
> and had them install another set of brakes. The same squealing and
> grinding occurred again, but it seemed to be lessening over time, so I
> decided to drive it for a while to see what would happen. The result
> is that now - about 5 weeks later - there is very little squealing and
> no grinding, but the original problem of violent wobbling during high-
> speed braking is back with a vengeance. I've recently had all four
> wheels aligned as well, and I'm becoming really frustrated with the
> whole situation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

1) Stay away from cheap aftermarket parts. Use OEM only.

2) Were the anti-squeal shims on the backs of the pads actually reinstalled
by the garage that did the work?

3) See he
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf100326.htm
for an excellent rundown on causes of brake pulsation.

4) Honda has two types of brake pads for your car: long-life, and
low-noise. If you swap the pads again, use OEM low-noise pads.

--
Tegger

Old March 6th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've got a 1994 Accord EX which had a worsening problem a few months
> ago, where the car would shake (fairly violently) during braking at
> high speeds - especially downhill and with a carload of people. To
> try to fix the problem, I had the brakes - pads and rotors - replaced
> about a month and a half ago. Immediately after replacement the
> brakes were squealing and grinding, so I took the car back to the shop
> and had them install another set of brakes. The same squealing and
> grinding occurred again, but it seemed to be lessening over time, so I
> decided to drive it for a while to see what would happen. The result
> is that now - about 5 weeks later - there is very little squealing and
> no grinding, but the original problem of violent wobbling during high-
> speed braking is back with a vengeance. I've recently had all four
> wheels aligned as well, and I'm becoming really frustrated with the
> whole situation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

First, read the information at the link below:
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf100326.htm

As Tegger indicated, you should use first quality parts, definitely not
Autozone
cheap stuff. I do not feel OEM dealership parts are required, but that is
your decision.

And the mechanic needs to install the parts properly..(see Babcox)

He should check to see that the rear brakes are contributing as they should.
Sometimes
they dont, applying extra load on the fronts and problems develop from
there.

Also, be sure that the other components of your suspension system are in
good
shape. I have seen cases where worn ball joints, etc, will behave pretty
well until
stresses are put on them, and then buffeting starts. Your "wobbling" is not
the
same as what I am calling "buffeting", but either or both can make a car
hard to
handle when they occur.

88 Accord Brakes Accord88carb5spd Honda 3 August 2nd 06 03:02 AM
wobbling in steering... [email protected] Technology 8 August 1st 06 04:37 AM
2004 Accord Brakes DZCAMMAN Honda 2 June 11th 06 11:23 PM
Accord V6 Brakes Cherokee Honda 6 February 28th 05 10:15 PM
Rust on brakes in new Accord Mike Honda 9 January 5th 05 04:55 AM