rFactor F1 Video

Old May 9th 05, 05:29 AM
Andrew MacPherson

In article >,
(Peter) wrote:

> Not sure. What's with the cockpit jiggling about like that? Also,
> going onto the grass didn't seem to make much difference. Plus there
> was some tail sliding through the corners which seems a bit out of
> place for those type of cars.

When I read your post I was worried. When I saw the movie I wasn't. The
strange jiggling could easily be a poorly optimised vibration effect (it's
still in development after all), so the jury's out on that one. But the
brief tail slides (a more serious issue in sim terms) looked very similar
to the slides I've seen in real F1/F3000 races.... quick loss or rear grip
on hot tyres, ease off, snaps back. You don't see a lot of them in real
life because the drivers are supposed to know what they're doing. Someone
inexperience with the real life cars or rFactor's simulation is going to
have a lot less control. And judging by the video, the guy wasn't being
particularly careful with his tyres.

Anyway, I saw nothing there that scared me. The only ISI game I've bought
before was so I could take a look at the GTR mod (or whichever one it was,
I forget now). But rFactor really does look and feel (from the demo) like
they've crossed a simulation threshold. I've been wrong before, but
I'm very hopeful.

Andrew McP
Old May 9th 05, 09:45 AM
Peter

In article
ss_disguised>,
says...

(Peter) wrote:

> > Not sure. What's with the cockpit jiggling about like that? Also,
> > going onto the grass didn't seem to make much difference. Plus there
> > was some tail sliding through the corners which seems a bit out of
> > place for those type of cars.

> When I read your post I was worried. When I saw the movie I wasn't. The
> strange jiggling could easily be a poorly optimised vibration effect (it's
> still in development after all), so the jury's out on that one. But the
> brief tail slides (a more serious issue in sim terms) looked very similar
> to the slides I've seen in real F1/F3000 races.... quick loss or rear grip
> on hot tyres, ease off, snaps back. You don't see a lot of them in real
> life because the drivers are supposed to know what they're doing. Someone
> inexperience with the real life cars or rFactor's simulation is going to
> have a lot less control. And judging by the video, the guy wasn't being
> particularly careful with his tyres.
>
> Anyway, I saw nothing there that scared me. The only ISI game I've bought
> before was so I could take a look at the GTR mod (or whichever one it was,
> I forget now). But rFactor really does look and feel (from the demo) like
> they've crossed a simulation threshold. I've been wrong before, but
> I'm very hopeful.
>
> Andrew McP

Well let's hope you're right on those points. ;-)

Still a bit worried about the overtaking by going onto the grass on the
inside though. That car should normally have got into big trouble.

--
Pete Ives
Old May 9th 05, 01:28 PM
Larry

Cars Jiggle. Especially race cars on rough race tracks

-Larry

.. .

http://www.hsw.hu/jatekhirek_eng.shtml

Old May 9th 05, 01:46 PM
Remco Moedt

On Mon, 9 May 2005 08:28:15 -0400, "Larry" > wrote:

>Cars Jiggle. Especially race cars on rough race tracks

Yes. However, when you're in the car you also feel the motion, so
your brain can correct the information it gets from the eyes. You
can't do this when driving a sim, so you might suffer
motionsickness...

Cheers!

Remco
Old May 9th 05, 02:12 PM
Peter

In article >, no@email says...
> On Mon, 9 May 2005 08:28:15 -0400, "Larry" > wrote:
>
> >Cars Jiggle. Especially race cars on rough race tracks

> Yes. However, when you're in the car you also feel the motion, so
> your brain can correct the information it gets from the eyes. You
> can't do this when driving a sim, so you might suffer
> motionsickness...
>

> Cheers!
>

> Remco

Besides, I would say cars 'Vibrate' more than jiggle. That just doesn't
look right. But hopefully it won't be quite like that when completed.

--
Pete Ives
Old May 9th 05, 05:41 PM
Mitch_A

Try this.

Mitch

Old May 9th 05, 08:08 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Peter" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, no@email says...
> > On Mon, 9 May 2005 08:28:15 -0400, "Larry" > wrote:
> >
> > >Cars Jiggle. Especially race cars on rough race tracks

> > Yes. However, when you're in the car you also feel the motion, so
> > your brain can correct the information it gets from the eyes. You
> > can't do this when driving a sim, so you might suffer
> > motionsickness...
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Remco
> >

> Besides, I would say cars 'Vibrate' more than jiggle. That just doesn't
> look right. But hopefully it won't be quite like that when completed.

The cockpit vibration effect is already tunable to user preference in the
PLR file. Frequency and multiplier are adjustable, both for primary and
secondary effects. This is the norm for current ISI offerings. Similar
settings exist in NSR as well; you can even choose whether to have the
rearview mirror vibrate or not, and what percentage of your vibration is
tied to engine revs vs. road speed.

Can't really say much about the Formula car behavior from the video, though
I agree they look a bit slidey. Main thing I noticed is the car and cockpit
graphics look a little cartoonish, similar to the current ones in the
rFactor demo. I think that's an aesthetic choice, as the engine can
certainly deliver better. The scenery looks much more realistic, which
makes for an odd combination. Sort of like animated characters in an
otherwise live-action movie. Rebecca Rabbit comes to mind, proving
animation's not such a bad thing... ;-)

Slow-mo'ing through the crash scenes, it looks like they've improved that
area a lot over the F1C-generation engine. Hope the replay capability is
improved to match!

SB