rFactor F1 Video

Old May 12th 05, 06:03 PM
Larry

You don't HAVE to beta test it is the point.

Just download the damned thing, go racing, and enjoy yourself!

That's what the rest of us are doing.

-Larry

Old May 12th 05, 06:20 PM
schooner

Is it currently being used by any leagues to run competitive points series?
I assume as a demo it is limited in some fashion or is it the complete full
meal deal as it plans to ship?

Old May 12th 05, 06:30 PM
Dave Henrie

"schooner" > wrote in

> Is it currently being used by any leagues to run competitive points
> series? I assume as a demo it is limited in some fashion or is it the
> complete full meal deal as it plans to ship?

It is a mulitplayer test demo. They have crippled a good portion of the
graphics and the physics. Still, when you compare it to a Touring Car mod
from F1c, you'll be pleased. I think ETCC by the RSR mod group was/is
spectacular in representing Touring Cars. The car of choice in the demo
ranges from a near street car to a full blown TC. THink a Honda Civic
morphing into a Real Time Acura Speed World Challenge Touring Car.
There is only one fictional track and only the three levels of the same
type of car, but here is where you need to pay attention.

ISI stuff works differently than Papyrus. I'm not saying better and I'm
certainly not saying worse...but different. You can be using this time to
familiarize yourself with the ISI methodology and controller setups. If
you use 100 linearty for your wheel axis in Papyrus sims, then think 50%
for ISI. If you try and use Papy numbers with rFactor, then you will have
a plowing boat of a car.

So don't worry about 'beta testing' for some company, they have already
done most of the r&D on the multiplayer aspects. What is out there now is
mainly a free classroom. It is a chance for you to get at least familiar
with how this line of sims works.

I loved the demo when it first came out...but I have rarely driven it
since, mainly because I have a league that I don't practice enough for
already, and I'm helping finish some F1c mod stuff so SSM can move on to
fFactor once it finally is released.

dave henrie
Old May 12th 05, 07:38 PM
schooner

Thanks Dave, that helps. As I said I don't have much time either so I'll
pass until a full version is out. Sounds interesting though but I may be
sticking with Papy for sometime since I typically just run NASCAR ovals and
roadies as is in our league and this may not replace that unless there is a
stock car mod for it planned.

. 97.136...

Old May 13th 05, 05:10 AM
ymenard

>"Steve Blankenship" > wrote
> Couldn't resist revisting this in light of the GTL presentation videos
> that
> popped up on BHMS today. Assuming SimBin are using gMotor2 as well, there
> couldn't be a better example of two totally different aesthetic
> approaches.
> Load them up side by side and that rFactor formula car video looks like an
> old Ubisoft game next to GTL.

I have to agree, the first thing my mind said after viewing that rFactor F1
vid, is "MGPRS2". Everything is there, from the bland textures to the badly
done divisions between the road and the grass. It feels off.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old May 13th 05, 05:45 AM
David G Fisher

"ymenard" > wrote in message
> >"Steve Blankenship" > wrote
> > Couldn't resist revisting this in light of the GTL presentation videos
> > that
> > popped up on BHMS today. Assuming SimBin are using gMotor2 as well,

there
> > couldn't be a better example of two totally different aesthetic
> > approaches.
> > Load them up side by side and that rFactor formula car video looks like

an
> > old Ubisoft game next to GTL.

> I have to agree, the first thing my mind said after viewing that rFactor

F1
> vid, is "MGPRS2". Everything is there, from the bland textures to the

badly
> done divisions between the road and the grass. It feels off.

I still can't believe the things I read at ras sometimes.

--
David G Fisher

Old May 13th 05, 04:31 PM
Steve Blankenship

"David G Fisher" > wrote in message

> "ymenard" > wrote in message
> > >"Steve Blankenship" > wrote
> > > Couldn't resist revisiting this in light of the GTL presentation

videos
> > > that
> > > popped up on BHMS today. Assuming SimBin are using gMotor2 as well,

> there
> > > couldn't be a better example of two totally different aesthetic
> > > approaches.
> > > Load them up side by side and that rFactor formula car video looks

like
> an
> > > old Ubisoft game next to GTL.

> > I have to agree, the first thing my mind said after viewing that rFactor

> F1
> > vid, is "MGPRS2". Everything is there, from the bland textures to the

> badly
> > done divisions between the road and the grass. It feels off.

> I still can't believe the things I read at ras sometimes.

Hehe... Actually, I was thinking back further than MGPRS2, but couldn't
remember what they called that POS. ;-) I agree the graphics in that
formula car vid are kind of cartoonish, but since I have the rFactor demo I
know the scenery generally looks good. The banners and buildings do have a
bit of that same look, but It's primarily the cars that look "gamey" in
rFactor. I think they're going for a "look" that appeals to gamers as well
as sim-heads, while the folks at SimBin have a much more focused target
market in mind. I still like rFactor, mind you - just muchly prefer the
realistic direction SimBin are going graphically.

SB

Old May 13th 05, 06:43 PM
Tony Rickard

"Steve Blankenship" wrote:

> Hehe... Actually, I was thinking back further than MGPRS2, but couldn't
> remember what they called that POS. ;-) I agree the graphics in that
> formula car vid are kind of cartoonish, but since I have the rFactor demo
> I know the scenery generally looks good.
> The banners and buildings do have
> a bit of that same look, but It's primarily the cars that look "gamey" in
> rFactor. I think they're going for a "look" that appeals to gamers as
> well as sim-heads, while the folks at SimBin have a much more focused
> target market in mind.
> I still like rFactor, mind you - just muchly prefer the
> realistic direction SimBin are going graphically.

rfactor seemed to have got rid of that washed out look of the previous
engines. The cartoony cars don't bother me as I am sure some real life skins
will shortly be available after release.

I just focused on single seaters with some pretty wayward rear ends like you
would see in the lower formulas like Formula Renault etc (or even a Minardi
on the ragged edge!) and it looked great to me. Depends what you want. I'd
rather be fighting the car with some turn in oversteer whilst pulling off an
overtaking manouvre than putting in the perfect F1 lap whilst the opponent
pits.