93 Del Sol Automatic Can the oil pan gasket be replaced easily ?

Old May 19th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Default 93 Del Sol Automatic Can the oil pan gasket be replaced easily?

ndccpf1 wrote:
> On May 12, 5:14�pm, ndccpf1 > wrote:
>> Or a frame piece needs to be removed ?

> Do I need to remove the exhaust pipe the runs under the oil pan or can
> the pan be "angled" out once all the bolts are out ?

got to remove the exhaust.

beware - this is a non-trivial exercise. the bolts on the exhaust
manifold are frequently hard to get off, and if they don't strip [which
is also likely] harder to get back on. seriously, unless there is a
real leak, and it doesn't disappear after a week or two with a decent
oil with seal conditioners like castrol, you're /much/ better off just
re-snugging the bolts onto the existing gasket. don't over-tighten
though because then you bend the pan metal and then it leaks worse.

also, look for leaks above that gasket as it may be running down from
another location.
Old May 21st 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ndccpf1

On May 18, 10:44Â*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> ndccpf1 wrote:
> > On May 12, 5:14�pm, ndccpf1 > wrote:
> >> Or a frame piece needs to be removed ?

> > Do I need to remove the exhaust pipe the runs under the oil pan or can
> > the pan be "angled" out once all the bolts are out ?

> got to remove the exhaust.
>
> beware - this is a non-trivial exercise. Â*the bolts on the exhaust
> manifold are frequently hard to get off, and if they don't strip [which
> is also likely] harder to get back on. Â*seriously, unless there is a
> real leak, and it doesn't disappear after a week or two with a decent
> oil with seal conditioners like castrol, you're /much/ better off just
> re-snugging the bolts onto the existing gasket. Â*don't over-tighten
> though because then you bend the pan metal and then it leaks worse.
>
> also, look for leaks above that gasket as it may be running down from
> another location.

OK I will invest in a air compressor. this week. Gasket looks gone
from what I can see.