Door stuck shut covers panel screws (how to remove?)

Old February 26th 06, 09:07 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.trucks,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.locksmithing

Default Door stuck shut covers panel screws (how to remove?)

"*" > wrote in news:01c62289$5674d8c0$5fa3c3d8@race:

> You can - sometimes - drop the window down and access the release
> mechanisms and linkages with a "slimjim"......or other similar
> tool/device......

I should let you know that this trick worked!. Thanks!

I bought two different sizes of "slim jim" and jiggled them for more than
30 minutes. Suddenly ... the driver's door just opened like it was never
locked in the first place. Wierd. Maybe it just gave up!

Anyway, the open door actually cleared TWO push/pull type plastic anchors.
One was covered by the dash and another was covered by the b pillar.

Interestingly, there are only three steel screws holding the door panel
onto the door on the 1998 Toyota 4Runner with electric windows & mirror.
Two were under the padded arm rest and one was in the middle of the inside
door handle escutcheon.

There were about six or so plastic anchors in addition to the two push/pull
anchors (the kind with a button in the middle). And there was a single
round clip that I ended up breaking because I didn't know about it.

The door panel, even though it looks like it's two pieces, came off as one
piece, including the speaker cover and the entire power window, lock, and
mirror controls. I had to pry these controls off the door handle before I
could move the door panel more than a foot away from the door. Likewise
with the inside door handle which I had to twist to push through the
cutaway in the door panel before I could move the door panel away from the
door itself.

Even more interestingly, the latch assembly (P/N 69040-35150) has four
different rods attached to it.

Rod #1 goes to the outside door handle (yellow plastic clip)
Rod #2 goes to the outside door lock mechanism (pink plastic clip)
Rod #3 goes to the up/down lock button (white plastic clip)
Rod #4 goes to the inside door unlock handle (yello plastic clip)

The part that broke was the yellow plastic clip that goes onto the outside
door handle. The Toyota dealership says they sell this four dollar part a
few times a week. They say it always breaks. I love my Toyota but after
looking at this clip, and knowing I didn't abuse the door handle, I'd say
it's the first design flaw I've seen in my 1997 Toyota. Not good, but not
bad compared to the other guys.

Anyway, I learned a lot of lessons (I had to take the door panel off three
times because there is a certain sequence which has to be followed) which I
will try to write up so the next Toyota owner can get started sooner.

Thanks for all your help, I'll write up the steps to R&R the door latch
mechanism separately.

Stu