Is under car shield on new beetle necessary?

Old July 6th 05, 09:49 AM

Default Is under car shield on new beetle necessary?

I just noticed that I lost that under car shield on my 2000 new beetle
that attaches to the front undercarriage and covers the oil pan. Is this
necessary? Will it hurt anything if I don't replace it?

Old July 6th 05, 12:03 PM
Woodchuck

no

Old July 6th 05, 02:50 PM
wkearney99

> I just noticed that I lost that under car shield on my 2000 new beetle
> that attaches to the front undercarriage and covers the oil pan. Is this
> necessary? Will it hurt anything if I don't replace it?

It's likely there to help manage airflow under the car. Probably to help
gas mileage and higher-speed stability issues. It may well also impact
temperatures inside the engine compartment. No vehicle maker puts something
like that on there without a reason, if only because anything added
increases cost. It's likely you can get away with it not being on there
without something "bad" happening.

Old July 6th 05, 03:43 PM
Matt B.

"wkearney99" > wrote in message
>> I just noticed that I lost that under car shield on my 2000 new beetle
>> that attaches to the front undercarriage and covers the oil pan. Is this
>> necessary? Will it hurt anything if I don't replace it?

> It's likely there to help manage airflow under the car. Probably to help
> gas mileage and higher-speed stability issues. It may well also impact
> temperatures inside the engine compartment. No vehicle maker puts
> something
> like that on there without a reason, if only because anything added
> increases cost. It's likely you can get away with it not being on there
> without something "bad" happening.

Right. Not essential but VW did have a reason. My Eurovan has one and
those of us EV owners that have removed it have noticed that the car runs a
little hotter w/o it. It also serves some sound dampening function as well.

Old July 6th 05, 03:53 PM
Patrick Owen

"wkearney99" > wrote in message
>> I just noticed that I lost that under car shield on my 2000 new beetle
>> that attaches to the front undercarriage and covers the oil pan. Is this
>> necessary? Will it hurt anything if I don't replace it?

> It's likely there to help manage airflow under the car. Probably to help
> gas mileage and higher-speed stability issues. It may well also impact
> temperatures inside the engine compartment. No vehicle maker puts
> something
> like that on there without a reason, if only because anything added
> increases cost. It's likely you can get away with it not being on there
> without something "bad" happening.

It's mainly for sound insulation.

It was added to help meet strict drive-by noise restrictions of Switzerland
and other EU countries.

Old July 6th 05, 04:02 PM
Rex B

Those are now available cheap on the aftermarket.
Motormite Help! makes it as part number 41098, about $25 - $30
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Old July 6th 05, 04:46 PM
Rex B

I would be real surprised if it doesn't make a big contribution to
cooling efficiency.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Old July 6th 05, 05:50 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Rex B wrote:

>I would be real surprised if it doesn't make a big contribution to
>cooling efficiency.

I am going to guess it might be there for streamlining.

Old July 19th 05, 12:23 AM
Albert Rondeau

A steel replacement is available from the dealer, you can also find
additional ones either in steel or thick aluminum online. It serves to
protect your aluminum oilpan, depending where you live this may or not be
necessary.

Ever wonder why you lost the old one? Probably hit something pretty big on
the road. I've got a lot of battle scars on mine and know that I would have
toasted at least one oilpan on our nasty roads if I didn't have it. Loss of
oil = blown engine if run for even a few minutes under that condition.

> wrote in message
> I just noticed that I lost that under car shield on my 2000 new beetle
> that attaches to the front undercarriage and covers the oil pan. Is this
> necessary? Will it hurt anything if I don't replace it?

Have Mexican Beetle, anyone else? Javier VW air cooled 8 January 15th 05 03:59 AM
FA: VW Beetle Reborn novelty clock Al Rock VW air cooled 0 January 3rd 05 10:57 PM
New Beetle Tim murphy VW air cooled 9 January 1st 05 04:54 PM
New beetle back brake pads tsb. Nick Martin VW water cooled 0 December 9th 04 09:20 AM
Beetle life in Europe? Steve Grauman VW water cooled 7 October 25th 04 03:39 PM