57 oval and 63 bug

Old June 16th 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 57 oval and 63 bug

I just purchased the above mentioned vehicles, the 57 needs a fair bit
of work but its do-able.

Anyway, the point of this post is that these are my first bugs and my
first restore jobs.
If someone can give me any pointers on rust, painting and converting
6volt to 12, twould be nice.

1 question that I have at this stage is: Whats the easiest way to get
at the rust in the rear engine vent/grill? And is it posible to paint
this?

Cheers

Old June 16th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

zigford wrote:

> I just purchased the above mentioned vehicles, the 57 needs a fair bit
> of work but its do-able.
>
> Anyway, the point of this post is that these are my first bugs and my
> first restore jobs.
> If someone can give me any pointers on rust, painting and converting
> 6volt to 12, twould be nice.
>
> 1 question that I have at this stage is: Whats the easiest way to get
> at the rust in the rear engine vent/grill? And is it posible to paint
> this?
>
> Cheers

See my web site for 6V/12V conversion and...more.

For an in-depth look at rusty resto's, go to:
http://www.my67bug.com/

And for a great peek at the insides of the body:
http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/insideabug.html

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old June 16th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

zigford wrote:
> I just purchased the above mentioned vehicles, the 57 needs a fair bit
> of work but its do-able.
>
> Anyway, the point of this post is that these are my first bugs and my
> first restore jobs.
> If someone can give me any pointers on rust, painting and converting
> 6volt to 12, twould be nice.
>
> 1 question that I have at this stage is: Whats the easiest way to get
> at the rust in the rear engine vent/grill? And is it posible to paint
> this?
>
> Cheers

I would use a long, flat screwdriver to scrape all the loose paint and
rust off, and then spray paint remover in there, and have it remove what
it can.. then follow up with a thorough rinse with water, let it dry,
and then coat the rusty areas with rust removing acid, with a little
brush. Let it sit, and wash off. Rinse again thoroughly, then use your
favorite rust preventive primer. I highly recommend POR15, it's amazing.
Just take the warnings seriously, it wont come off your hands etc.. plus
you need good ventilation for all of this stuff.

How to paint it after it's all ready? beats me
Looks like a brush job, or have a car paint shop mix you the paint into
a spray can and use a long nozzle jet on it. You will probably get paint
runs, but it's better than nothing.

Do not buy ready made spray paints that you can find just about
anywhere. Those are worthless.

Jan
Jan
Old June 17th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Kidd wrote:
> zigford wrote:
> > I just purchased the above mentioned vehicles, the 57 needs a fair bit
> > of work but its do-able.
> >
> > Anyway, the point of this post is that these are my first bugs and my
> > first restore jobs.
> > If someone can give me any pointers on rust, painting and converting
> > 6volt to 12, twould be nice.
> >
> > 1 question that I have at this stage is: Whats the easiest way to get
> > at the rust in the rear engine vent/grill? And is it posible to paint
> > this?
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> I would use a long, flat screwdriver to scrape all the loose paint and
> rust off, and then spray paint remover in there, and have it remove what
> it can.. then follow up with a thorough rinse with water, let it dry,
> and then coat the rusty areas with rust removing acid, with a little
> brush. Let it sit, and wash off. Rinse again thoroughly, then use your
> favorite rust preventive primer. I highly recommend POR15, it's amazing.
> Just take the warnings seriously, it wont come off your hands etc.. plus
> you need good ventilation for all of this stuff.
>
> How to paint it after it's all ready? beats me
> Looks like a brush job, or have a car paint shop mix you the paint into
> a spray can and use a long nozzle jet on it. You will probably get paint
> runs, but it's better than nothing.
>
> Do not buy ready made spray paints that you can find just about
> anywhere. Those are worthless.
>
> Jan
> Jan

I painted mine using an airbrush setup from harbor freight. I masked
off the outside louvers to avoid runs there and was able to do a good
job on the inside louvers. After that was complete, I then painted the
car. - Robert