Engine tapping noise 95 Ford Mustang

Old January 25th 05, 04:12 PM
sonoflarry

Default Engine tapping noise 95 Ford Mustang

95 Ford Mustang 3.8 V6 recently purchased. I have a problem identifying a
metal tapping noise heard only under certain circumstances. No noise when
the car is in idle or driving normally. But if the car is in park and rev
up the engine, I hear the rather loud metal tapping noise. Also hear it
with fast starts from a dead stop and the rpms reach 2500 to 3000 before
shifting. No noise until it hits this level. I tried a 5 min engine
flush and oil change. When I turned the engine on right after this I
heard the same noise but only for two seconds before the new oil
recirculated. What is the problem? It is hard for me to isolate the
noise. Is it bearings, valves, rockers, stems? I don't think it is the
injectors or converters. Should I try a professional engine flush? Any
additional additive to try?

Help.

Old January 25th 05, 05:55 PM
Backyard Mechanic

sonoflarry opined in
lkaboutautos.com:

> 95 Ford Mustang 3.8 V6 recently purchased. I have a problem identifying a
> metal tapping noise heard only under certain circumstances. No noise when
> the car is in idle or driving normally. But if the car is in park and rev
> up the engine, I hear the rather loud metal tapping noise. Also hear it
> with fast starts from a dead stop and the rpms reach 2500 to 3000 before
> shifting. No noise until it hits this level. I tried a 5 min engine
> flush and oil change. When I turned the engine on right after this I
> heard the same noise but only for two seconds before the new oil
> recirculated. What is the problem? It is hard for me to isolate the
> noise. Is it bearings, valves, rockers, stems? I don't think it is the
> injectors or converters. Should I try a professional engine flush? Any
> additional additive to try?
>
> Help.

Is the tapping like tapping the shank of a screwdriver against the exhaust
manifold or like tapping a 20 oz hammer against the same manifold?

If it's like the hammer, you have problems. Do you have a return agreement?

Email me

Old January 25th 05, 07:00 PM
sonoflarry

The noise is more like tapping the shank of a screwdriver against the
exhaust manifold. It is hard for me to determine where on the engine it
is coming from. Any advice on how to isolate the noise? You also hear
the noise for a split second when you first turn the engine on but then
goes away immediately.

Old January 25th 05, 07:33 PM
Backyard Mechanic

sonoflarry opined in
lkaboutautos.com:

> The noise is more like tapping the shank of a screwdriver against the
> exhaust manifold. It is hard for me to determine where on the engine it
> is coming from. Any advice on how to isolate the noise? You also hear
> the noise for a split second when you first turn the engine on but then
> goes away immediately.

Then that's likely piston slap...

How many miles?

Old January 25th 05, 07:37 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic opined

> Then that's likely piston slap...
>
> How many miles?

Forget that... Thinking one thing writing another..

How many miles on it..

Old January 25th 05, 07:40 PM
Mark C.

Yeah, I noticed that about you often, Backyard. ~ Could it be rocker
tapping?

--
Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple)

I r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

Old January 25th 05, 07:55 PM
sonoflarry

It has 80,000 miles which seemed right based on a history report I have.
The car's appearance is in great condition inside and out, which gives the
impression, at least, of a well maintained car. Maybe not.

Old January 26th 05, 02:35 PM
Rein

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:12:31 -0500, "sonoflarry"
> wrote:

>95 Ford Mustang 3.8 V6 recently purchased. I have a problem identifying a
>metal tapping noise heard only under certain circumstances. No noise when
>the car is in idle or driving normally. But if the car is in park and rev
>up the engine, I hear the rather loud metal tapping noise. Also hear it
>with fast starts from a dead stop and the rpms reach 2500 to 3000 before
>shifting. No noise until it hits this level. I tried a 5 min engine
>flush and oil change. When I turned the engine on right after this I
>heard the same noise but only for two seconds before the new oil
>recirculated. What is the problem? It is hard for me to isolate the
>noise. Is it bearings, valves, rockers, stems? I don't think it is the
>injectors or converters. Should I try a professional engine flush? Any
>additional additive to try?
>
>Help.

If it's the EXACT SAME noise as you get after an oil change I would
think it's not getting enough oil pressure. Have it checked out, could
be deadly for your engine. Might need a new oil pump.

Old January 27th 05, 07:31 PM
sonoflarry

All,

I took the Mustang to the Ford dealer and they said the compression test
was fine, that the tapping problem is possibly the result of a bad cam
shaft sensor. What are your thoughts?