You're not going to believe this, but

Old December 18th 13, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default You're not going to believe this, but

I dropped the passenger side lower control arm out to replace the bushings
and the forward bushing fell out ...

shell and all!!!

Guess where most of my death wobble was probably coming from ...

The last person ( I refuse to call them a "mechanic") to work on the
bushings didn't make sure they were pressed in far enough and the one that
fell out had pressing marks not even past the edge of the shoulder or the
radius at the rubber insert more that 1/8".

The arm was partially collapsed like they didn't use a spacer to hold the
control arm shape

So, tomorrow I'm going to double check my work before I take it out on the
road and make sure i have 1/8" + sticking oput past the rataining surface.

--
Budd Cochran

Need proof that we need less government?

They can't run a website that could have

been built with WYSIWYG5!

Old December 18th 13, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea

Budd Cochran wrote:

> I dropped the passenger side lower control arm out to replace the bushings
> and the forward bushing fell out ...
>
> shell and all!!!
>
> Guess where most of my death wobble was probably coming from ...
>
> The last person ( I refuse to call them a "mechanic") to work on the
> bushings didn't make sure they were pressed in far enough and the one that
> fell out had pressing marks not even past the edge of the shoulder or the
> radius at the rubber insert more that 1/8".
>
> The arm was partially collapsed like they didn't use a spacer to hold the
> control arm shape
>
> So, tomorrow I'm going to double check my work before I take it out on the
> road and make sure i have 1/8" + sticking oput past the rataining surface.

Nothing is as simple as you plan.... Hope you have a decent junk yard down
there. So far, I've lucked out - there are at least 4 old MJs in the local
yards. I even found a door with good glass and working wing windows when
that tree ate my drivers side door.

--
Will Honea

Old December 18th 13, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea

Old December 18th 13, 12:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_5_]

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 21:43:41 -0700, "Budd Cochran"
> wrote:
> I dropped the passenger side lower control arm out to replace the

bushings
> and the forward bushing fell out ...

> shell and all!!!

> Guess where most of my death wobble was probably coming from ...

> The last person ( I refuse to call them a "mechanic") to work on

the
> bushings didn't make sure they were pressed in far enough and the

one that
> fell out had pressing marks not even past the edge of the shoulder

or the
> radius at the rubber insert more that 1/8".

> The arm was partially collapsed like they didn't use a spacer to

hold the
> control arm shape

> So, tomorrow I'm going to double check my work before I take it out

on the
> road and make sure i have 1/8" + sticking oput past the rataining

surface.

After you "massage" the control arm back into shape and get the shell
in there
you might want to throw a couple of spotwelds on it before stuffing
the bushing in.
Old December 19th 13, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"Will Honea" > wrote in message
: Budd Cochran wrote:
:
: > I dropped the passenger side lower control arm out to replace the
bushings
: > and the forward bushing fell out ...
: >
: > shell and all!!!
: >
[...]
: --
: Will Honea
:
We have a good JY, Canyon Truck, here but we've been helping my younger
brother recover from a heart surgery and we're strapped from weekly trips to
the Springs for follow-ups for him.

He's paying for the gas but with three in the house now the expenses are
just a bit higher.

The old adage that 2 can live as cheaply as 1 implies that three should turn
a profit ...

They lied.

Old December 19th 13, 06:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea

Budd Cochran wrote:

> The old adage that 2 can live as cheaply as 1 implies that three should
> turn a profit ...
>
> They lied.

Yeah, but you should see what a bungee daughter can cost!!

(Sons are born with umbilical cords, daughters come with bungee cords....)

--
Will Honea

Old December 20th 13, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"Will Honea" > wrote in message
: Budd Cochran wrote:
:
: > The old adage that 2 can live as cheaply as 1 implies that three should
: > turn a profit ...
: >
: > They lied.
: >
:
: Yeah, but you should see what a bungee daughter can cost!!
:
: (Sons are born with umbilical cords, daughters come with bungee cords....)
:
: --
: Will Honea
:

Uh, oh ... I have a son with a rare mutation then . . . .