Sportwagon question for the group

Old June 26th 07, 09:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Alex cotgreave

Default Sportwagon question for the group

Does anyone out there own one (especially interested in an oill burner).

Can anyone tell me what the drive is like? Parts? Load room?

Thanks

Alex

Old June 28th 07, 10:27 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Charlie Money

On Jun 26, 9:19 pm, "Alex cotgreave" > wrote:
> Does anyone out there own one (especially interested in an oill burner).
>
> Can anyone tell me what the drive is like? Parts? Load room?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

Just bought a 2005 1.9 JTD 16v Veloce. Love it so far after a week.
Ride is fairly stiff as the Veloce is sportier sprung and sits a
little lower than the Turismo.
The load room isn't great for an estate (the suspension pillars take
up quite a bit of room in the boot).

Make sure you know your engines - I tried an 8v 1.9 JTD (four
cylinder) and thought it was pretty poor and quite rough. I then tried
a 10v 2.4 JTD (five cylinder) which blew the 8v 1.9 out of the water
and I desperatley wanted one, but then tried the 16v 1.9 which was
just as good.

Haven't tried the 20v 2.4, which I'm sure would be phenomenal!

Not aware of any parts issues - but then I haven't needed any yet...

HTH
Charlie

Old June 28th 07, 05:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
di9it8

Make sure the cambelt has been changed, Alfa has now changed to 36k
intervals (from 72k)
Check suspension for rattles and wear, some engines are thirsty on
oil.
Try and get Veloce spec
Re load space, not as big as a Volvo, but I can get 2 42inch plasmas
in their boxes in the back.
Great car for long distance cruising, did Aberdeen London (540 miles)
with a full load no problems
Good luck with your search
Mike

Old June 28th 07, 06:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
David Usher

Hi

I bought a 2.4JTD Veloce SW last October and have been driving around
grinning like a fool ever since. As you would expect from an oil burner, it
won't win any prizes at the traffic lights Grand Prix but other than that
I'm getting great performance at 43 - 44 mpg. The handling is superb and it
will go around corners like it's on rails.

The boot space isn't huge and apparently with the load cover on, it's
smaller than the saloon. Enough for me though and you get the usual split
fold rear seats. The Veloce model does have harder springing as others have
said, so that you get the better handing I think. As long as you take it
easy over level crossings and the like it's fine. Also with the Veloce is a
great Bose stereo with subwoofer.

The only parts I have bought are wipers, which are a little more than some
cars, with two different front sizes on the same car and the rarer rear. I
think I got the full set for less than £20 delivered.

All in all I'm a fan! My first Alfa, but I don't think it will be my last.
By comparison, I've driven a couple of Mercs, an Audi and a Jag over recent
years and while the build quality might not be up to the older Mercs and the
Audi, it compares very favourably as a car to drive.

All in my humbel opinion of course!

David

Old June 28th 07, 09:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:03:02 -0000, di9it8 > wrote:

>Make sure the cambelt has been changed, Alfa has now changed to 36k
>intervals (from 72k)

I don't think this is the case with the diesels (certainly not on
mine). I've never heard of an Alfa diesel break a cam belt..the
petrols are *far* more delicate in this respect.

>Check suspension for rattles and wear

Rattles are a standard feature!

>some engines are thirsty on oil.

Not the diesels.

>Try and get Veloce spec

Can lead to and front end grounding with the heavier diesel engines.
Does look better though.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old June 28th 07, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:28:47 +0100, "David Usher"
> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I bought a 2.4JTD Veloce SW last October and have been driving around
>grinning like a fool ever since. As you would expect from an oil burner,

How so? My 2001 Saloon 2.4JTD is excellent off the mark - I know the
SWs are slightly slower but I didn't think it was as bad as you
suggest.

These days, I *expect* sporting diesels to be blistering. Fiat are
going to make a 188hp twin turbo 1.9 diesel available to Alfa. This
will have (IIRC) about 221lb-ft of torque at about 1200rpm. I dread to
think what would happen if your foot slipped off the clutch at rest!!

Old July 4th 07, 10:31 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
David Usher

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:28:47 +0100, "David Usher"
> > wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I bought a 2.4JTD Veloce SW last October and have been driving around
>>grinning like a fool ever since. As you would expect from an oil burner,

> How so? My 2001 Saloon 2.4JTD is excellent off the mark - I know the
> SWs are slightly slower but I didn't think it was as bad as you
> suggest.

It really isn't that mine is bad, just that I do think that petrols have a
more immediate kick from a standing start. and that while you can get away
well, by comparison I think that a petrol will do that job better given the
will and the ability. I had some years ago a 2.6 straight six Merc petrol
that really was dynamite off the line and the Alfa doesn't live in that
league, not that much did.

Sorry about not getting back to you quicker, work, life etc!

David

Old July 5th 07, 09:49 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
David A Stocks

"David Usher" > wrote in message

> "Zathras" > wrote in message
>> How so? My 2001 Saloon 2.4JTD is excellent off the mark - I know the
>> SWs are slightly slower but I didn't think it was as bad as you
>> suggest.
>>

> It really isn't that mine is bad, just that I do think that petrols have a
> more immediate kick from a standing start. and that while you can get away
> well, by comparison I think that a petrol will do that job better given
> the will and the ability. I had some years ago a 2.6 straight six Merc
> petrol that really was dynamite off the line and the Alfa doesn't live in
> that league, not that much did.

It may be worth checking out the Air Mass Meter. If it's broken it can make
a huge difference to the standing start performance.

D A Stocks

Old July 6th 07, 12:33 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
David Usher

> It may be worth checking out the Air Mass Meter. If it's broken it can
> make a huge difference to the standing start performance.
>
> D A Stocks

It's in for a service soon so I will ask them to check it out - Thanks!