07 vs. 06 Wrangler torque curves?

Old April 6th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 07 vs. 06 Wrangler torque curves?

Anyone seen a comparison? Needless to say I couldn't find anything on the
Chrysler site. Should be VERY interesting!!

Old April 6th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

'06 190 hp @ 4600 rpm
'07 205 hp @ 5200 rpm

Old April 7th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The torque curve chart for the 3.8L engine is he

http://www.geocities.com/namastefolks/powercurves.jpg

The chart for the 4.0L is he

http://www.billhughes.com/temp/4LEngineHP-Torque.jpg

Tom

Old April 7th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I notice that the values are not shown at idle RPM's. I happen to
think having "80% of usable torque available at idle speed" is rather
handy when my feet are busy feathering the brake and the clutch. Maybe
a hand throttle comes standard with that new engine? Maybe it doesn't
come with a stick? Maybe only three-footed drivers can run difficult
trails with the '07?

Old April 7th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Jeff Olsen wrote:
> in article , Jarod Sprauer at
> wrote on 4/6/06 2:08 PM:
>

>>'06 190 hp @ 4600 rpm
>>'07 205 hp @ 5200 rpm
>>

> So who ever runs their 4.0L I6 at 4600 rpm? Things sound like the world is
> about to blow up revving that high. ROAR!
>
> Where torque matters to me, in a jeep, is at or near idle. I had my TJ
> (sniff) geared 4.10 with 31's and it felt like an electric motor or
> something at idle. With great engine braking.
>
> The 4.7L V8 in my new Tundra, OTOH, likes to REV! It this fancypants '07
> engine a V6 or V8? Or did they rework the 4.0L?
>
> -jeff

Ah, don't listen to him. He's a used car salesman. They don't know the
difference between HP and Torque.

You must've been hiding under a rock to miss all the discussion on the
'new' to the Wrangler line, V6! One thing it did is cure my
Upgrade-itis as far as any SWB Jeeps go. One question on the Tundra,
they are coming out with a new one to actually compete with the Titan
next year, why didn't you wait for THAT one? The reason I ask is that I
passed on the Toyota in favor of the Titan in '04. With the '07
improvements on the Toyota, I'd have gone with it instead.

tw
2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.
Old April 7th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

waldron is just trailor trash ....heLikes to poke his nose in everyone elses
business because he is 4'8" 200lbs lives in a trailor and has bad
acne..(little man syndroum I suppose) the stats came from JP magazine. They
have an article showing all the differences between the 06 and 07...very
informative article!

Old April 7th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I think this is where the new 3.8 V-6s are going to fall flat on their
face. (More info is at http://www.allpar.com/mopar/37.html). They
openly admit that torque is not nearly as strong at the straight-6's,
and that more emphasis is being placed on high-revving engines that
offer better fuel economy, (ahem) ...typical of the Minivan Heritage
from which this design was taken.

If you extrapolate the torque curves on both charts, it's clear that
the present I-6 offers twice the torque at ldle than the new 3.7. DC
doesn't have much of a choice I guess: tooling for I-6's is worn and it
will cost a bundle to continue producing, and the Feds want more fuel
economy and lowered emissions. Something had to give eventually -
nothing good lasts forever.

You won't ever see a rework of the 4.0. It's a terribly inefficient
design from an economy and emissions standpoint. But the longevity,
brute-strength and reliability is something that you will never see
purposely designed into a 'modern' engine.

Old April 7th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I don't have the figures at idle but at 1200 RPM the 4 liter I-6 makes about
210 lb ft torque and the 3.7 liter Jeep V-6 makes a tad less than 200.

At generally usable engine speed (2000-2800 rpm) the 4 liter makes about 215
lb ft and the 3.7 makes 220 lb ft

I do not have figures for the 3.8 liter Dodge Minivan motor

oups.com...

Old April 7th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Spelled "trailer" and "syndrome"...just like an edjumicaded sales droid
to muck up a grade school name calling session. BTW, I didn't realize JP
magazine _had_ my stats.

I'd try to explain to you the difference between HP and Torque and how
they relate to each other, but it would bore everyone on the NG with
common knowledge and you'd still be bleary eyed. Besides, the visual of
you trying to regurgitate it to your prospective clients in the car lot
brings back scenes from Dumb & Dumber and I can't stop laughing long
enough to be serious.