Tie Rods??

Old June 6th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Tie Rods??

Hi Guys, I just picked up a 95 YJ for my niece. It need some work but runs ok. I took it to work the
other day to make shure it's safe and after hitting some rather bumpy RR tracks the jeep went into
the most violent shake, after slowing down it went away. I'm thinking tie rods but never having them
go bad on me I just wanted to ask?
Thanks

Old June 6th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

95YJ did pass the time by typing:
> Hi Guys, I just picked up a 95 YJ for my niece. It need some work but runs
> ok. I took it to work the other day to make shure it's safe and after hitting
> some rather bumpy RR tracks the jeep went into the most violent shake, after
> slowing down it went away. I'm thinking tie rods but never having them go bad
> on me I just wanted to ask?

That woud be called "death wobble" if your talking about the front wheels
hopping till you slowed down.

Tires (balance/rotate/and check for roundness and cupping),
shocks, steering damper, swaybar bushings and U clamps.

--
DougW

Old June 6th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I may need tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearing, and balancing,
but it can't shimmy if the steering stabilizer/dampener is good:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/yj/steering_gears.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 6th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Death Wobble. Well named. Common issue on older jeeps with solid front
axles. Something in the front end is loose; ball joints, tie rod ends,
wheel bearings, etc etc. Replacing the steering damper will calm it down
or mask it for a while but you still need to find the source. Look for
loose parts, out of balance tires, improper toe in, and a worn steering
damper.

Old June 6th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I have seen cases where there was no "source", other than a worn out
steering damper. Although this is a good time to give the front end
components a complete inspection, don't fret if you don't find anything.
Just replace the damper and hope for the best. Caster out of spec. can be a
problem too, but that will have a source. Don't forget to look at the
springs and spring bushings for abnormal signs.

Earle

nk.net...

Old June 6th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Besides tie rod ends, no one mentioned bad track bar bushings. There is
a track bar that goes from the passenger side of the front axle up to
the frame on the drivers side. If you watch under the front when
someone moves the steering wheel from pin to pin you will see movement
in the ends of this if the bushings are gone. it has a tie rod end at
the frame side that can go too. Also if you cut the steering side to
side when stopped and the nose of the Jeep wobbles side to side, that is
a bad track bar end.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

'02 WJ Hood prop rods billy ray Jeep 11 April 6th 06 09:33 PM
Plausible Idea?- Titanium Nitride coated crank, rods, valves, etc PedGuyKev Technology 13 March 21st 06 03:12 AM
01 GLX Carbio - popping sound while turning and backing after new rack, tie rods and ends cstoddard VW water cooled 2 November 5th 05 07:45 AM
WARNING - Bad rods from CIP1 [email protected] VW air cooled 9 April 30th 05 03:49 PM
Wiggling Rods TerryB VW air cooled 7 March 14th 05 02:25 AM