Ya ready for diesel yet?

Old September 7th 05, 05:27 PM
Bret Ludwig

If a gasoline engine hydro locks it almost always bends a rod, but
then it will run enough the owner will drive off until the bent rod
lets go and takes everything out.

Don't suck up water.

Old September 7th 05, 05:31 PM
Bret Ludwig

>>"Diesel cars and trucks are efficient, low maintenance and, advocates claim, environmentally friendly. But is diesel really better for our surroundings? Maybe not.
Diesel engines do emit less carbon monoxide than regular gas motors.
But diesel engines also produce up to 100 times more soot, and these
soot particles are much tinier than the ones in ordinary exhaust.
They're so small, in fact, that the natural filters in our noses and
airways don't always catch them. The result: Diesel soot often is
inhaled deep into our lungs.
Now researchers in Europe claim to have discovered that just one hour's
exposure to diesel fumes leads to inflammation in the lungs -- the kind
experts fear may be related to asthma. Even worse, many investigators
suspect that diesel fumes might even cause lung cancer.
Until we manage to make diesel less dirty, you might want to avoid
breathing fumes from buses and trucks. And drivers, do us a favor: Turn
off those idling engines."<<

If diesel soot was so dangerous the cancer rate would have skyrocketed
when steam trains were replaced by diesels which pulled in to train
stations. Get the sulfur out of the diesel like Europe did and the US
military has and diesel will be far less offensive than catalytic
converter sulfur stink.

Old September 7th 05, 08:37 PM
Dave Milne

Sure, if it sucks water. I meant rather that diesels don't have spark plugs
to get wet (although the advantage is rather dimished by the fact they have
now acquired a lot more electronics). I didn't realise you were outside the
US now, Earle - where are you ?

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
"Earle Horton" > wrote in message
news:1126104163.67cc8bbee2471f31fb555a116f15d16c@t eranews...
> Actually Dave,
>
> If a diesel sucks water it is going to blow out a cylinder wall, while a
> gasoline engine will probably just lock up from hydrostatic pressure, or
> maybe bend a rod. So the choice is cylinder or block replacement (diesel)
> or possible rod replacement (gasoline). If you read one of my earlier
> postings I drove a Honda Civic under water three times, and it still came
> back for more.
>
> I am not real worried about the price of gasoline in the U.S. It is still
> half of what people are paying here. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of
> the night, worrying that British Airways won't honor my return ticket,
> because all the infrastructure in the U.S. has collapsed, and there is no
> place for them to land there. But then I roll over, thinking that that
> wouldn't be so bad.
>
> Earle
>
> "Dave Milne" > wrote in message
> .uk...
> > Get more mpg though. That's why it's popular in Europe.
> > For offroading its ideal as the torque advantage is large and they

aren't

Old September 7th 05, 10:39 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Total unadulterated bullsh*t!
But you put your money where you month is and go ahead distill
biodiesel and destroy your own car.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 7th 05, 10:43 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

My Dad die of lung cancer.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 7th 05, 10:48 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Are absolutely BRUTAL so waxing your car is a necessity, not a luxury?
Old September 7th 05, 10:55 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Spain?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 7th 05, 11:02 PM
Dave Milne

Dunno, I clearly wasn't paying attention at the back :-)

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old September 8th 05, 04:16 PM
Dave Milne

I don't drive the Waggy much, and anyhow it runs on propane which is 1/2 the
price of petrol

--
news:1126187041.01ca590548daf08af737a9cd399af447@t eranews...
> Vitoria-Gasteiz, País Vasco, España. Empiezo a entender la cultura
> anglosajón, por ojos ajenos. You probably have places like this
> www.hoteldato.com in England too.
>
> This place is fantastic. La ciudad es preciosa, y la gente amable. Lo

peor
> es que el dólar no tiene valor. Almuerzo en la plaza, con pan y queso,

como
> vagabundo. Next week I move into a studio, and will be able to prepare my
> own meals. Where can I find a simple jar of peanut butter?
>
> I bought some petrol here last week, and for the life of me I don't
> understand how you can drive a Grand Wagoneer at these prices. The good
> thing about prices in the U.S. is that no one in the family wants to drive
> my Suburban while I am gone, and they only drive the Jeep when someone

else

Old September 8th 05, 07:26 PM
Bret Ludwig

Dave Milne wrote:
> I don't drive the Waggy much, and anyhow it runs on propane which is 1/2 =

the
> price of petrol

Propane?! You mean it hasn't blown up and killed the whole village or
stuck the throttle open and run you into a schoolyard like =DFillschi=DF
says it will ?