Towing out snowed in cars - a cautionary tale!

Old February 7th 04, 10:18 PM
rnf2

Try Rec.Scuba.... they really go overboard... 4000 posts in one thread in
the archives

"Mark C." > wrote in message
> WOW!!! HOW MANY REPLIES!!! GOTTA BE THE MOST I HAVE EVER SEEN!
>
> MC
>
> ------
>

> "Chris Phillipo" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > In article >, orygunguy2001
> > @hotmail.com says...
> > > You may want to bash American's but when you need us to save your

sorry

Old February 8th 04, 01:27 AM
Mike Romain

Graham Jones wrote:

> In message >, Mike Romain
> > writes
>
> (cross posted on purpose)
>
> >I don't know about him, but I have short straps that can wrap around a
> >frame to give an anchor point if the vehicle isn't equipped with a tow
> >hook or ring bolted to the frame. My long straps are rate for 30,000 lb
> >and I think the short ones are the same. My straps have sewn loops, no
> >metal to fire off.

> I have been lurking with interest up to now but as I own and run my own
> vehicle delivery and recovery business I'm afraid that I am going to
> have to say something.
>
> Webbing straps/strops ARE NOT designed to be wrapped around ANYTHING
> (except tree strops with a protective sleeve). They are designed to
> pull in a straight line with no fouling. You start wrapping around
> chassis and you are reducing the 'safe working load' of the strap and
> NEVER NEVER re-loop itself back through one of it's loops as this could
> multiply the strain on the part of the strap going through the loop,
> always use a shackle of suitable strength and quality for the job.
> Always use one with a safety certificate so if there is any malfunction
> you may have a 'possible' claim. My insurance runs into thousands and
> as part of the health and safety/insurance are concerned my equipment
> has to certified and checked at regular intervals. As regarding using
> kinetic ropes, please, if you have never used one of these before be
> careful and always read the instruction first, they are there for a
> reason. They can be lethal if not used correctly.
>
> --
> Graham Jones

You are correct Graham!

I normally throw away the short straps that were used if they got ripped
pulling the stuck vehicle if it was wrapped around sharp points.

I live in Canada though.....

This is a serious rust belt in central and southern Canada, nasty rust
belt!!!

I use the straps in a loop, couple feet, loop, couple feet, loop, couple
feet, loop idea to spread out the stress.

I then have also just up and cut off the damaged ends and used a tied
loop.

Yes I know the knot is a weak point too, but am aware of it.

Same as someone else pointed out the 'working load' of my winch cable
isn't the best. I know this and watch my ass.

I also off road a whole bunch so take wear and tear on gear and vehicles
as a matter of 'you play, you pay'. ;-)

Here are some photo albums from my of road trips. I organize trips for
the central Canadian bunch from a Jeep newsgroup,
rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys.

Canadian Off Road Trips Photos:
Aug02 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291402603
June 16/02 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291718705
Easter/02 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291929351
Jan/02 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292141347
Aug/01 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292076845
Day Trip Misc. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291902217
CJ build http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292105877
Jan03 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290887779
Aug 03 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289239511

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old February 8th 04, 01:27 AM
Mike Romain

Old February 10th 04, 09:36 PM

: Here's what I found out about the cable/winch rating when before I
: bought it.

You left out one of the most important bits of information - the
winch rating only applies to the first layer of cable on the spool.
In other words you get maximum pull strength if most of the cable is
pulled off of the spool and you are down to the first layer.
The outer layers can't pull as strongly because the diameter
of the spool is effectively increased thus reducing the pull.