Head Gasket Replacement Question

Old May 13th 11, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MikeLikes

Default Head Gasket Replacement Question

Hi All,
My EG Civic with a D15B7 Motor seems to have blown a head gasket. I am
planning to only replace the gasket and I am not sure if I should send
the head away to be tested.

What could happen if I replace the head gasket and not test the head?
The reason why I am trying to avoid testing the head is becuase the
gasket only appears to be broken on cylinder 2, the car did not over
heat and I think I stoped the car quickly when I noticed it running
funny. Does anyone have any tips or links on how to diagnose a head?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Old May 13th 11, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/12/2011 11:25 PM, MikeLikes wrote:
> Hi All,
> My EG Civic with a D15B7 Motor seems to have blown a head gasket. I am
> planning to only replace the gasket and I am not sure if I should send
> the head away to be tested.
>
> What could happen if I replace the head gasket and not test the head?
> The reason why I am trying to avoid testing the head is becuase the
> gasket only appears to be broken on cylinder 2, the car did not over
> heat and I think I stoped the car quickly when I noticed it running
> funny. Does anyone have any tips or links on how to diagnose a head?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Michael

it's pretty unusual for there to be any actual problems with the head in
this regard. it's usually just a bad gasket and i wouldn't hesitate to
replace the head without testing unless i could see obvious evidence of
problems.

the big thing is making sure the mating surface is clean so you get a
good seal on the new gasket. use a razor blade at a close angle [thin
and won't gouge the surface - thicker blades can badly damage the soft
aluminum surface] and plenty of gasket remover to get rid of the old
gasket, and you're set.

also read this:

<http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/honda-civic-articles.html>

pay attention to the torque sequence, but don't bother buying new bolts
- honda used to recommend that but have since dropped the requirement.
use a bending beam torque wrench, not clicking type - the bolts creep
around, so torque then hold until it stops moving. several times each
one. definitely get the upgraded gasket part number 12251-P01-004.

most shops will recommend you get the head skimmed. unless the head is
warped or you can't get a straight one at a junkyard, i strongly caution
against this because the surface finish is always much inferior to oem.
the milling process grooves the surface - these are channels for
future leakage. when the head "goes" a second time, most people ditch
the car rather than get to grips with the problem. shops just say "the
head mush be cracked" rather than admit they shouldn't have done the
skim. or they don't even know what they did wrong. [unless warped,
honda say the skim is unnecessary.]

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old May 15th 11, 12:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MikeLikes

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the tips. Over the weekend I replaced the head gasket and
the Civic is back up and running. So far it seems good

Regards,
Michael
Old May 24th 11, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake MikeLikes > :

>Hey Jim,
>Thanks for the tips. Over the weekend I replaced the head gasket and
>the Civic is back up and running. So far it seems good
>
>Regards,
>Michael

You did replace the oil and coolant, right" (of course you did,
you're smart enough to know how to do the head gasket)
--

- dillon I am not invalid

"You idiots, it's rape, pillage,THEN BURN!!!"
--- chief of the Aggie Vikings