oil used in 2003 A4

Old November 9th 04, 06:40 AM
Bob Navarro

Default oil used in 2003 A4

At a recent oil change the Audi service mgr told me that the oil used in my 2003 A4
is synthetic or a synthetic blend, which allows it to go 10,000 miles between changes.
They asked if I was going to change it every 5k or 10k miles, and apparently would
use different oil depending on my answer. The change is covered under the 4-year free
maintenance agreement so $$ probably isn't a motivating factor.

What oil is used from the factory, and do they really use a different 10k-mile oil?

Thanks,
Bob
2003 3.0L A4Q-M

Old November 9th 04, 06:49 AM
BillyRay

Engine oils with Volkswagen Oil Standard VW 502.00 approval available in

North America

Manufacturer Brand Name Viscosity

Castrol Castrol Syntec 5W-40

Chevron Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-40

Elf Ele Excellium LDX 5W-40

Kendall Kendall GT-1 Full synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40

Mobil Mobil 1 0W-40

Pennzoil-Quaker state Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula 5W-40

Pennzoil-Quaker state Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula Ultra 5W-30

Pennzoil-Quaker state Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula 5W-40

Pennzoil-Quaker state Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula Ultra
5W-30

Seventysix lubricants 76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40

Texaco Havoline Synthetic 5W-40

Total Total Quartz 9000 5W-40

Valvoline Valvoline Synpower 5W-30

Valvoline Valvoline Synpower 5W-40

It has always been Audi's policy to continuously improve its products. Audi,
therefore, reserves the right tomake changes in design and specifications,
and tomake additions or improvements to its products without incurring any
obligation to install them on products previously manufactured.Text and
specifications in this Supplement are based on information and knowledge
available at the time of printing. All rights are reserved.May not be
reproduced or translated in whole or in part without the written consent of
Audi of America, Inc. Specifications are subject to change without notice.
If you are not sure which oil to use, consult with your authorized Audi
Service Advisor.

? 2004 Audi of America, Inc. Printed in USA, July 2004

241.AUDI.APPROVED.OILS.CHART.FOR1.8LTURBO.94

Old November 9th 04, 08:57 AM
Barry Bingham

Here in the UK Audi's official "variable" servicing intervals are based
on the idea that this synthetic oil is good for about 20,000 miles!!!

Reasons for difference? Choose from the following:

1.In USA theres more money to be made from oil changes
2.In UK theres more money to be made from fleet car sales on the back of
very long service intervals
3.Audi uses different oil/technology on each side of the Atlantic....?

Old November 9th 04, 09:09 AM
Pete

"Bob Navarro" wrote
> They asked if I was going to change it every 5k or 10k miles, and
> apparently would
> use different oil depending on my answer.

Well, that's interesting. AFAIK, all dealers are now supposed to use one of
the oils that were referenced in AoA statement provided by BillyRay,
regardless if you choose to change it every 10K or every 5K or every 1K
miles, or whatever. You do understand that Audi will only pay for the 10K
changes, so if you want it done more often, you'll have to pay for it
yourself.

Since you don't have a turbo, I'd say 10K mile changes with synthetic oil
are fine, or at least once a year, whichever comes first.

AFAIK, the car comes filled with Castrol SLX 0w-30 (full synth.) from the
factory.

Cheers,

Pete

Old November 9th 04, 10:00 AM
Peter Bell

In message <5LYjd.384135$D%.144428@attbi_s51>
Bob Navarro > wrote:

> What oil is used from the factory, and do they really use a different
> 10k-mile oil?

In the UK (and the rest of Europe?), there are options of standard fixed
interval servicing and variable interval servicing. The fixed interval
is normally 1 year/10,000 miles (and more miles for a diesel engine),
the variable interval can be anything up to 2 years/20,000 miles (30,000
for a diesel). Different oils are used for the two options.

Old November 10th 04, 05:14 AM
Curtis Newton

>Well, that's interesting. AFAIK, all dealers are now supposed to use one of
>the oils that were referenced in AoA statement provided by BillyRay,
>regardless if you choose to change it every 10K or every 5K or every 1K
>miles, or whatever. You do understand that Audi will only pay for the 10K
>changes, so if you want it done more often, you'll have to pay for it
>yourself.

the dealer in Colorado Springs still uses Castrol GTX (conventional)
oil with 10K changes (at least for my 2.8L V6). I always pay the
extra and get synthetic (they offer Belgian Castrol Syntec 5W40).

>Since you don't have a turbo, I'd say 10K mile changes with synthetic oil
>are fine, or at least once a year, whichever comes first.
>
>AFAIK, the car comes filled with Castrol SLX 0w-30 (full synth.) from the
>factory.

that is also my understanding.

Old November 10th 04, 07:19 PM
Jorge Fonyat

Is this model related or just an user option ?
If it is an user option it means that the "never more than 1 year"
interval between oil changes (regardless mileage) has been doubled.
This is fundamental to me, as I run just 3,000 miles/year and feel
VERY discomfortable in changing almost new synthec every 12 months.
Jorge (A4 1996 2.8 12V)

Old November 10th 04, 07:44 PM
Pete

"Jorge Fonyat" wrote
> I run just 3,000 miles/year and feel
> VERY discomfortable in changing almost new synthec every 12 months.
> Jorge (A4 1996 2.8 12V)

12 months in service is not new by any means, IMO. Oxidation takes
place while the oil is in the engine, whether you use it or not. If you
do mostly short trips, vapor condensation may also be present.

If you only do 3K miles a year, you might consider switching to a less
expensive mineral or synthetic-blend oil to save money, but I'd still
change it at least once a year.

Cheers,

Pete

Old November 10th 04, 07:54 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
(Jorge Fonyat) wrote:

> Is this model related or just an user option ?

AFAIAA, it applies to all models across the Audi range, except for the
RS6. Cars come from the factory filled with long-life oil and it is
then up to the owner whether they want fixed or variable servicing
intervals. However, this only started in 2000 - I don't know whether
earlier cars can be moved to the variable service interval regime.

My feeling is that if you opted to fill your car with the higher spec
oil, then it would be perfectly okay to go two years between changes.
The appropriate oil spec is VW 503.00 (or VW 503.01 - intended for the
RS4 and 1.8T over 180bhp). I'm not sure what brands are most commonly
available in the USA but, for instance, Valvoline Synpower XL meets the
lower spec and Synpower MXL the higher spec.

Old November 11th 04, 11:54 PM
Jorge Fonyat

Pete and Peter,
Thanks for your points.
In fact I have no room to use a more basic oil. Audi in Brazil only
accepts 100% synthetics. (they say it is due to the sludge problem)
So, the only variable that is in my control is the time interval.
And, Pete, yes, I do a lot of short commuting. Besides, temperatures
here are like in Florida.
Best Regards, Jorge

2003 A4 1.8t Alignment suppy Audi 1 November 7th 04 06:13 PM
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Cabriolet Karl Audi 0 October 19th 04 12:42 AM
2005 A6 vs. 2002 S8 vs. 2003 A8 ?? Opinions Viper Audi 11 July 26th 04 08:04 PM
Chipped 2003 A4 3.0? Troy Bruder Audi 0 July 12th 04 11:40 PM
A4 2003 JJ Audi 2 June 15th 04 02:22 AM