Strange problem? Cluster lights dead but hazard lights ON instead? -02 Taurus

Old August 28th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Strange problem? Cluster lights dead but hazard lights ON instead? -02 Taurus

I have a strange problem with my wife's 2002 Taurus with "analog"
cluster. When the parking/head lights are activated, the instrument
cluster lights do not come on. Instead, the 2 hazard/signal dash
lights come on (and do not blink.) The radio lights work and are
still dimmed by the dimmer control. The hazard lights are also still
controlled by the dimmer. The hazard system works, the headlight
switch light works, the dome light works, and all the "warning" type
lights are working. All else is working including the turn signals.
This seemed like a fuse to me but all possible fuses check ok. At
least all that are described with terms that sound relevant to me.
(Any tips on which fuse these are truly controlled by?)
I remember one of my old cars would turn some warning lamps on when a
different fuse blew out or something. Kind of like a "heads up" that
something's wrong. Is that why the hazard lights are coming on
instead of the cluster lights?
None of the instrument cluster area is lighting (other than the
hazards.) Tach, shift indicator, gas, temp, and speedometer are all
dark and were all working previously. I don't think they would all
use the same lamp?
Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanx
John

Old August 28th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

wrote:
> I have a strange problem with my wife's 2002 Taurus with "analog"
> cluster. When the parking/head lights are activated, the instrument
> cluster lights do not come on. Instead, the 2 hazard/signal dash
> lights come on (and do not blink.) The radio lights work and are
> still dimmed by the dimmer control. The hazard lights are also still
> controlled by the dimmer. The hazard system works, the headlight
> switch light works, the dome light works, and all the "warning" type
> lights are working. All else is working including the turn signals.
> This seemed like a fuse to me but all possible fuses check ok. At
> least all that are described with terms that sound relevant to me.
> (Any tips on which fuse these are truly controlled by?)
> I remember one of my old cars would turn some warning lamps on when a
> different fuse blew out or something. Kind of like a "heads up" that
> something's wrong. Is that why the hazard lights are coming on
> instead of the cluster lights?
> None of the instrument cluster area is lighting (other than the
> hazards.) Tach, shift indicator, gas, temp, and speedometer are all
> dark and were all working previously. I don't think they would all
> use the same lamp?
> Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated!
> Thanx
> John

That likely still means you have a bulb ground path issue like the old
days. This would be in the signal bulbs. Some signal bulbs also have
running light filaments in them. When one of these blows 'just' right,
it interferes with the ground path causing other things to light up as
it 'steals' a ground through them.

I would be looking very closely at the running lights expecting to see
one slightly brighter or dimmer than the others. I would be checking
this one first.

Sometimes you can also see a signal light dimmer when this happens.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Jan/06
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
Old August 30th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanx for the great feedback. I posted an update yesterday but I
don't see it here. Two days ago, the problem went away. However,
yesterday the problem came back. So I checked every exterior bulb
visually, w/o removing them, and they all look completely normal. All
signaling, hazard blinking, brake lights, and parking filaments are
all working perfectly. I can clearly see each filament in the front
bulbs and they look separated and each functions on it's own and
normally. ( I understand that there is still a chance that a filament
is "moving around." ) The rear bulbs are not as easy to see.

Would it make more sense to pull the cluster or all the bulbs as the
next step?

Thanx!
John

Old August 30th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

> wrote (02 Taurus)

Cluster lights dead but hazard lights on. Two days ago, the problem
went away. Yesterday it came back. I checked every exterior bulb
visually, w/o removing them, and they all look completely normal.
Would it make sense to pull the cluster or all the bulbs as the next step?

My first approach when I encounter this exasperating problem is to
look for a loose ground wire somewhere, expecially behind the dash.
Next, I disconnect and reconnect (several times) every connector
that might have anything to so with the cluster, and apply some
insulating grease to the connector pins before the final reconnection
(This usually fixes the problem but I do the ground search first
because it's quicker). Then I look for shorted or ungrounded
external bulb sockets or filaments, a bad light switch, a bad flasher,
a bad multifunction switch, or anything else I can imagine as the
problem before I take out the cluster.

I hate to take out the cluster because is time-consuming and
because the problem is often not in the cluster - it is in something
I overlooked during my previous examinations.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Hazard Lights On cpbrinks BMW 0 July 30th 06 05:33 AM
Hazard lights on cpbrinks BMW 0 July 20th 06 03:34 AM
hazard warning lights and door locker cherandmike BMW 0 February 19th 06 02:17 PM
Taurus daytime driving lights Ron Technology 1 December 27th 05 07:01 PM
98 Ply Voyager - flashing cluster lights shardon Chrysler 1 March 22nd 05 09:31 PM