How does the car communicate with the dealer?

Old November 29th 05, 02:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default How does the car communicate with the dealer?

In the newer BMWs, in the US at least, the car sends out info to the dealer
that it is due for service or some malfunction requires it to be serviced.
Does anyone know what technology is used to transmit this info? Is it an
SMS sent out through a cell phone built in the car?

Thanks,

Pete

Old November 29th 05, 07:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:49:55 -0500, "Pete" >
waffled on about something:

>In the newer BMWs, in the US at least, the car sends out info to the dealer
>that it is due for service or some malfunction requires it to be serviced.
>Does anyone know what technology is used to transmit this info? Is it an
>SMS sent out through a cell phone built in the car?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Pete

I would say that's a safe guess... Although I would think they would
be more likely to use a GPRS/EDGE data stream from the cellular system
than an SMS which is restricted in message size.

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old December 3rd 05, 07:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

It requires the bluetooth option, then it uses your cell phone to send a
text message.

Old December 3rd 05, 07:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Jeff Strickland" wrote
> It requires the bluetooth option, then it uses your cell phone to send
> a text message.

So if you don't have a cell phone, the deal is off?

Pete

Old December 3rd 05, 09:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

If you don't have bluetooth and a bluetooth cell phone, the option won't
work.

Without bluetooth, the car would need it's own phone to make the occasional
call to report service needs, and this would suck up all of the phone
numbers available in very short order. But, if you had the bluetooth option
and a suitable cell phone, then there's no reason the car couldn't talk to
your phone while you weren't using it, and report its status to the
dealership for you. If you don't have the bluetooth option, then the car
can't talk to the phone, and the feature -- calling for service -- won't be
available.

Old December 4th 05, 12:04 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

It communicates by opening your wallet and extracting the proper amount
for this months Cash Dialysis Infusion.

;-)
B.D.

Old December 5th 05, 05:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Pete wrote:

> "Jeff Strickland" wrote
>
>> It requires the bluetooth option, then it uses your cell phone to send
>> a text message.

> So if you don't have a cell phone, the deal is off?
>
> Pete

I wonder, how many people buying brand new BMWs don't have cell phones?

--
-Fred W

I have neither (intentionally).
Old December 5th 05, 05:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Malt_Hound" wrote

> I wonder, how many people buying brand new BMWs don't have cell phones?

Well, I was thinking more along the lines... who would want their car to be
using their cell phone? Who knows what kind of information that system
actually transfers to BMW? I see it as an infringment on my privacy, but
then again, it's an optional feature from what I understand, so it only
communicates if you agree to it.

Cheers,

Pete

Old December 5th 05, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Pete wrote:
> "Malt_Hound" wrote
>
>>I wonder, how many people buying brand new BMWs don't have cell phones?

> Well, I was thinking more along the lines... who would want their car to be
> using their cell phone? Who knows what kind of information that system
> actually transfers to BMW? I see it as an infringment on my privacy, but
> then again, it's an optional feature from what I understand, so it only
> communicates if you agree to it.

Agreed. In fact, BMW USA even makes light of this in a recent
advertisement. The guy is driving along listening to some children's
music and his cell phone rings. It is the BMW service advisor (female)
asking if he'd like to make an appointment to have his oil changed.
When asked how she knew it needed that, she says the car told her. He
asks in a panic what else the car told her (fearing she would know he
listens to kiddie music) and she says, "that's all".

But I'll bet it would "phone home" if he misses a shift and over-revs
it...

--
-Fred W
Old December 5th 05, 06:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Malt_Hound" wrote
> Agreed. In fact, BMW USA even makes light of this in a recent
> advertisement.

Yeah, I did see that commercial.

> But I'll bet it would "phone home" if he misses a shift and over-revs
> it...

Yup. The thing is, it's really just about how quickly this info reaches
your dealer: immediately (via cell phone), or later, during your next
service visit (when they hook up a car to the computer and read all fault
codes stored in the ECU memory). But if you have your own communication
tool, you could possibly erase unwanted data before going in for service.
Anyway, that's a whole other story...

Cheers,

Pete

Dealer Scam? Not Sure BMW 9 June 13th 05 07:56 PM
What to do If a dealer does a bad alignment. chris777 via CarKB.com Technology 5 April 20th 05 04:16 PM
300C order problems [email protected] Chrysler 7 January 21st 05 05:55 PM
dealer replaced radio, still doesn't work caburnham BMW 5 November 20th 04 06:08 PM
Main Dealer or Independent Service Richard Goulding Audi 10 November 15th 04 12:25 PM