2002 Jetta GLX VR6 Transmission Problem

Old November 15th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
stueckes

Default 2002 Jetta GLX VR6 Transmission Problem

My Jetta GLX VR6 Automatic has been hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd at
slow speed, approx. 25mph. This only happens when I go from a stop to
driving. As the Jetta begins it shifts from 1st to 2nd fine, then from
2nd to 3rd it revs up the RPMs and hard shifts, and then no problem
shifting into drive. This only happens at slower speeds. Once I’m
going, no problem, even if I accelerate hard. Does this mean I need a
Tranny, or could there be another easier fix? Please help, I am
desperate to find an easy solution. Thanks 8O

Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/2002-Jetta...ict250256.html
Old November 16th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Is it still under warranty? (Original owner would have 100K miles AFAIK)
Have the codes read to see what faults are occuring..
A vag-com tool might be needed for this. ;-)

Might be an internal problem with the Valve Body, a Vehicle Speed Sensor
(which also might be located internally on yours), or a wiring issue.
Did you ever have any water entering the interior of your car?

news:1215483_bbd8836d98f283b323965fea0b8466c0@auto boardz.com...

Old November 16th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ears

I'm always looking at the simple things:

Have you had a trans. flush lately? Is the weather getting colder
where you live? Have you considered synthetic, high-grade trans.
fluid?

Old November 18th 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
stueckes

Well, thank you for your response. What is AFAIK? Does this mean there
is a 100k powertrain warranty? I hope this is a small problem and I
don’t have to replace the trans, but it feels like it’s slipping when
this rev-up and hard shift occurs. Anyway, you’ve been a great source
of info. Thanks.

Old November 18th 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
stueckes

I havn’t had the tranny flushed, and I live in Calif. It has gotten
colder, but not below 50 degrees. I want to flush the tranny, but want
to find out what the problem is first. I do quite a bit of work on
vehicles, so do you think it is wise to attempt this myself?
Everything I hear is "take it to the dealer".

Old November 18th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Nov 18, 12:22*am, stueckes > wrote:
> I havn’t had the tranny flushed, and I live in Calif. It has gotten
> colder, but not below 50 degrees. I want to flush the tranny, but want
> to find out what the problem is first. I do quite a bit of work on
> vehicles, so do you think it is wise to attempt this myself?
> Everything I hear is "take it to the dealer".
>
> "Ears" wrote:
>
> *> I'm always looking at the simple things:
> *>
> *> Have you had a trans. flush lately? *Is the weather getting
> *> colder
> *> where you live? *Have you considered synthetic, high-grade
> *> trans.
> *> fluid?

With transmissions, especially electronic-shifter automatics, "take it
to an expert" is the only way to fly. The ways you can screw it up are
many and varied. Nor is it likely that you have the equipment required
to do a proper flush. The fluid you leave behind will be that fluid
that inevitably contains the most garbage.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old November 19th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The JF506E 5-speed transmission is made by the Japanese company
JATCO.

Sounds like the clutch (and/or brake band, if any) responsible for 2-3
shifts are slipping if the RPMs go way up. Otherwise the accumulator
may not be doing its job, but doesn't sound like it's the case. That's
why I'd do more frequent ATF changes and filter/strainer changes as
well (< 20K miles) starting when new.

I'd drop the pan, clean it, inspect the wear particles (amount,
types), replace the filter/strainer. And then refill with HIGH MILEAGE
ATF. The HM ATF is thicker and has more friction modifiers and seal
conditioners. If this doesn't improve it then you already know what's
next.

Old November 19th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The Castrol High Mileage ATF appears to meet the VW G052 990 standard.
However, the 09A was also in the Valvoline MaxLife Merc/Dex ATF
"application guide", but not on their website.

So I'd go with castrol High Mileage after verifying VW G052 990 is for
the 09A/Jatco JF506E..

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...pds_HM_ATF.pdf

Valvoline:
http://www.nordiques.com/pieces/imag...huiletrans.pdf
VW TL52162 (Note: this is yellow)
MaxLife ATF (Note: this is red)

Old November 19th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Yes AFAIK (As Far As I Know)
You will have a 100,000 mile warranty on that transmission if you are the
original owner.

Is the mileage under 100K?
Are you the original owner?

Good luck with this!
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

news:1215617_acba1dbeb709463761ee860b1e56c6ff@0000 .com...

Old November 20th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Isn't the standard powertrain warranty 6 years / 50K miles?