Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

Old February 21st 18, 12:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Xeno

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On 21/02/2018 9:50 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> rbowman > wrote:
>
>> Can you say 'lawyer'? I've spent some time in southern AZ close to the
>> border. It's refreshing to deal with Mexican mechanics. They still use a
>> bit of ingenuity.

> Speaking of ingenuity, check out this redneck rear rotor surfacing
> technique at home, with a grinder and while the rotors are spinning.
> https://youtu.be/q5p-KHkx1YA?t=123
>
> I guess it works for driven wheels only though.
> https://youtu.be/SUIJySdkCZk?t=370
> https://youtu.be/xokh96wRxb4?t=236
> https://youtu.be/YsfadqO9V2A?t=55
> https://youtu.be/rum-Wlok7n4?t=2
>
> I guess this is how rednecks do the non-driven wheels.
> https://youtu.be/R9qCFfDiw5A?t=350
> https://youtu.be/Qgz3BnWpeUg?t=22
> https://youtu.be/NxLeKG-oRmc?t=67
> https://youtu.be/7dFBaLCjYck?t=71

That's the problem with the internet - the blind leading the blind!

--

Xeno
Old February 21st 18, 12:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Xeno

On 21/02/2018 10:39 PM, alan_m wrote:
> On 21/02/2018 10:50, ultred ragnusen wrote:
>
>> Speaking of ingenuity, check out this redneck rear rotor surfacing
>> technique at home, with a grinder and while the rotors are spinning.

> Judging by those videos you don't need to ban guns in the USA - just ban
> power tools!

Power tools are extremely useful, I use them a lot.

Just *ban idiots* from using power tools.

--

Xeno
Old February 21st 18, 02:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Graham J

Xeno wrote:
> On 21/02/2018 10:39 PM, alan_m wrote:
>> On 21/02/2018 10:50, ultred ragnusen wrote:
>>
>>> Speaking of ingenuity, check out this redneck rear rotor surfacing
>>> technique at home, with a grinder and while the rotors are spinning.

>> Judging by those videos you don't need to ban guns in the USA - just
>> ban power tools!
>>

> Power tools are extremely useful, I use them a lot.
>
> Just *ban idiots* from using power tools.

Or even ban Americans !!!

--
Graham J

Old February 21st 18, 07:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Peter Hill[_2_]

On 21-Feb-18 10:19 AM, alan_m wrote:
> On 21/02/2018 01:45, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

>> The robots don't care where they are.Â* OTOH, look where the car makers
>> have put up plants.Â* No new ones in Detroit, New York, or California.
>> Mexico has some.

> The robots may not care where they live but it still needs a large,
> mainly unskilled or semi-skilled workforce to feed them and to perform
> all the other tasks that currently cannot be assigned to robots.

You need a smaller but very skilled workforce to maintain and repair the
robots.
Old February 21st 18, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 8:50:43 AM UTC-10, Peter Hill wrote:

> You need a smaller but very skilled workforce to maintain and repair the
> robots.

After a while, the robots will learn to fix themselves. Even skilled workers will be obsolete. Humans will mostly be working on getting a serious tan.
Old February 21st 18, 08:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
critcher

On 21/02/2018 11:47, Xeno wrote:
> On 21/02/2018 9:50 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
>> rbowman > wrote:
>>
>>> Can you say 'lawyer'?Â* I've spent some time in southern AZ close to the
>>> border. It's refreshing to deal with Mexican mechanics. They still use a
>>> bit of ingenuity.

>> Speaking of ingenuity, check out this redneck rear rotor surfacing
>> technique at home, with a grinder and while the rotors are spinning.
>> https://youtu.be/q5p-KHkx1YA?t=123
>>
>> I guess it works for driven wheels only though.
>> https://youtu.be/SUIJySdkCZk?t=370
>> https://youtu.be/xokh96wRxb4?t=236
>> https://youtu.be/YsfadqO9V2A?t=55
>> https://youtu.be/rum-Wlok7n4?t=2
>>
>> I guess this is how rednecks do the non-driven wheels.
>> https://youtu.be/R9qCFfDiw5A?t=350
>> https://youtu.be/Qgz3BnWpeUg?t=22
>> https://youtu.be/NxLeKG-oRmc?t=67
>> https://youtu.be/7dFBaLCjYck?t=71
>>

> That's the problem with the internet - the blind leading the blind!

so you are still on about tyres and nuts, jesus who do you work for ?
kwikfit !!!!
Old February 21st 18, 08:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
critcher

On 18/02/2018 00:48, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools on this vehicle
> whose tires I rotated today and which I plan on rotating every 4K miles (6K
> km).
>
> First question is what is the practical difference between these three 21mm
> (13/16ths) "sockets" for the lug bolts on the car I was working on today?
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/socket_ends.jpg
> 1. The standard lug wrench (green) has 6 points, each at a sharp angle.
> 2. The impact socket (black) has 6 points, each at a semicircular angle.
> 3. The standard socket (chrome) has 12 points, each at a sharp angle.
>
> Second question, are these "cut marks" on a lug nut normal?
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/dented_nuts.jpg
> I always use deep sockets, which fit over the whole nut, so I know I didn't
> make these marks - but what did make the marks? Are they factory original?
> If so, why?
>
> Third question is related to this combination pictu
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/torquewrench.jpg
> Where this question is a combination question of:
> a. Why is the green 21mm "lug wrench" so very short compared to all others?
> b. What's the practical difference, if any, with respect to torquing lug
> bolts to 85 foot pounds (115 N-m), between the two types of torque wrenches
> shown?
> c. Does anyone even use that bottom-most "auger style" ratchet bar for fast
> removal anymore? (I don't have power bolt-removal tools so that's why I use
> it.)
> And, the most important question, for torquing lug nuts, is
> d. Does the torque change depending on the length of the socket extension
> bar?
>
> Fourth question is more of an observation than a question, where I combed
> the tires for rocks and nails, as I always do when I rotate the tires every
> 4K miles, when I saw this tiny little steel dot embedded in the rubber in
> each of the front tires.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/splinter1.jpg
>
> That tiny dot turned out to be this funny-shaped steel sliver, pointy side
> was pointing into the tire in both front tires.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/splinter2.jpg
>
> The question is whether these embedded rocks and splinters, of which I
> always find between 50 and 100 in each tire (mostly tiny pebbles and bits
> of glass stuck in the tiny sipes of the tire tread) would eventually fall
> out as the rubber wears (negating the need to periodically pick them out at
> each tire rotation)?
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/splinter3.jpg
>
> In summary, I ask these basic questions simply to learn more about how to
> better rotate tires every 4K miles (6.5K km).

are you all dickheads ?????
Old February 22nd 18, 01:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
James Wilkinson Sword > wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 18:50:37 -0000, Peter Hill > wrote:

> >> The robots may not care where they live but it still needs a large,
> >> mainly unskilled or semi-skilled workforce to feed them and to perform
> >> all the other tasks that currently cannot be assigned to robots.

> > You need a smaller but very skilled workforce to maintain and repair the
> > robots.

> That's the UK out then.

Not a problem. Once out of the EU, you just issue work permits to the
Germans needed. When a robot breaks down, shouldn't take more than a
couple of months to get the paperwork needed, and a few days to get
through the border checks.

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 22nd 18, 02:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
alan_m

> Not a problem. Once out of the EU, you just issue work permits to the
> Germans needed. When a robot breaks down, shouldn't take more than a
> couple of months to get the paperwork needed, and a few days to get
> through the border checks.

What makes you think that you require German engineers rather than Korean?

Old February 22nd 18, 08:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
ultred ragnusen

critcher > wrote:

>> That's the problem with the internet - the blind leading the blind!

> so you are still on about tyres and nuts, jesus who do you work for ?
> kwikfit !!!!

Last night I did all six brake sets (12 pads/shoes) on a German car:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/fronts.jpg

The fronts mic'd greater than 0.800 inches so I kept the rotors.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/front_rotors.jpg

But the rears were below 0.7200 inches & they were edge lipped:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/resurface.jpg

You never know if a rotor will be below thickness specification until you
measure it, so since I didn't have a new set of rotors, I decided to try
the redneck methods of truing them up, just for the learning experience.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/drums.jpg

One nice thing about doing all your own mechanical work on a car is you
find stuff like this busted brake line, which you won't know if a mechanic
will find because they don't spend the time to look around that you might.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/brakeline.jpg

--
PS: I made a mess of the rotor resurfacing project, but I'm gonna replace
the rotors anyway since they were 0.695 inches in diameter, so it was just