Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

Old February 22nd 18, 08:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Peter Hill[_2_]

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On 21-Feb-18 7:30 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 18:50:37 -0000, Peter Hill
> > wrote:

>>> The robots may not care where they live but it still needs a large,
>>> mainly unskilled or semi-skilled workforce to feed them and to perform
>>> all the other tasks that currently cannot be assigned to robots.

>> You need a smaller but very skilled workforce to maintain and repair the
>> robots.

> That's the UK out then.

China and India are turning out 1000's of engineers every year. Indian
engineers work for about 1/2 the price of UK engineers and 1/3 the price
of the best sub-con consultancies. Mind you many of the analysis jobs
that get put out there have to be done 3x before they get it right but
overall it's cheaper.

Polish engineers are cheaper than US and UK and high quality.
https://www.edc.pl/
I work with 2 that have moved to the UK.

In UK many with the STEM skills that are required for engineering go
into finance and earn 2.5-5x what engineers earn.
Old February 22nd 18, 10:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Xeno

On 22/02/2018 6:19 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> critcher > wrote:
>
>>> That's the problem with the internet - the blind leading the blind!

>> so you are still on about tyres and nuts, jesus who do you work for ?
>> kwikfit !!!!

> Last night I did all six brake sets (12 pads/shoes) on a German car:
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/fronts.jpg
>
> The fronts mic'd greater than 0.800 inches so I kept the rotors.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/front_rotors.jpg
>
> But the rears were below 0.7200 inches & they were edge lipped:
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/resurface.jpg
>
> You never know if a rotor will be below thickness specification until you
> measure it, so since I didn't have a new set of rotors, I decided to try
> the redneck methods of truing them up, just for the learning experience.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/drums.jpg
>
> One nice thing about doing all your own mechanical work on a car is you
> find stuff like this busted brake line, which you won't know if a mechanic
> will find because they don't spend the time to look around that you might.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/brakeline.jpg

I'd be putting money on you being the cause of that little faux pas!

--

Xeno
Old February 22nd 18, 03:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
alan_m > wrote:
> On 22/02/2018 00:29, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> > Not a problem. Once out of the EU, you just issue work permits to the
> > Germans needed. When a robot breaks down, shouldn't take more than a
> > couple of months to get the paperwork needed, and a few days to get
> > through the border checks.
> >

> What makes you think that you require German engineers rather than
> Korean?

Ah - right. Brexit is only about controlling 'immigration' from the EU,
then? All others will be free to come and go as they please? Figures.

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 22nd 18, 03:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Scott Dorsey

alan_m > wrote:
>On 22/02/2018 00:29, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>
>> Not a problem. Once out of the EU, you just issue work permits to the
>> Germans needed. When a robot breaks down, shouldn't take more than a
>> couple of months to get the paperwork needed, and a few days to get
>> through the border checks.

>What makes you think that you require German engineers rather than Korean?

All the best robots are German. This valuable training video may have
some information on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBc5NpyEoo
--scott

Old February 22nd 18, 05:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
alan_m

> Ah - right. Brexit is only about controlling 'immigration' from the EU,
> then? All others will be free to come and go as they please? Figures.

Nothing to do with immigration. Someone coming in from anywhere in the
world to fix a robot on behalf a company is not expecting residency!

Old February 22nd 18, 05:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
ultred ragnusen

Xeno > wrote:

> I'd be putting money on you being the cause of that little faux pas!

Maybe. I've done the brakes on this German care before, but where I hang
the calipers on a special hook designed to take the stress off the brake
lines.

The one great thing about doing all your own work is you know that
mechanics screw up left and right but don't tell you, so, I know that a
mechanic didn't do this because my cars, all around twice the average that
people keep cars, have never been to a mechanic.

It's nice though to try those redneck methods, where it would be safer if I
had a motor with a faceplate that I could bolt the rotor to, so that I
could grind or sand down the surface at home with some semblance of
evenness.
Old February 22nd 18, 10:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Tekkie®

ultred ragnusen posted for all of us...

> wrote:
>
> >>Third question is related to this combination pictu
> >>http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/17/torquewrench.jpg
> >>Where this question is a combination question of:
> >>a. Why is the green 21mm "lug wrench" so very short compared to all others?

> > To fit in the hole they store the tools in.

> I can't disagree that the shape and length of a purposeful "lug wrench" is
> designed just for removing lug nuts, so certainly that's why it's curved
> the way it is (to fit around the tire sidewall).
>
> Certainly smaller is easier to fit in a car.
>
> Since you can't use a torque wrench and a lug wrench at the same time, I
> was wondering if they made it just short enough so that a normal person
> could not apply "too much" torque to the lug bolts?
>
> Basically, I was asking if it's short because that way, a normal human can
> only apply about 85 foot pounds which is all they can do with that short
> bar and their hands?
>
> Is that just an urban myth?

Yes the only reason you got this one is because they ran out of cheaper
ones. Some new cars do not have spares...

--
Tekkie
Old February 23rd 18, 01:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
alan_m > wrote:
> On 22/02/2018 14:27, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> > Ah - right. Brexit is only about controlling 'immigration' from the EU,
> > then? All others will be free to come and go as they please? Figures.
> >

> Nothing to do with immigration. Someone coming in from anywhere in the
> world to fix a robot on behalf a company is not expecting residency!

Still going to need controls on who can and cannot come into the country.
If you're going to stop itinerate EU fruit pickers who don't come to
settle here either. Just to do a job of work.

I really can't see how you can have tight control over boarders while
still making it easy for a foreign national to enter the country quickly -
as would be needed in this case.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Old February 23rd 18, 06:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
rbowman

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 01:12:46 -0000, alan_m > wrote:
>
>> On 22/02/2018 00:29, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>>
>>> Not a problem. Once out of the EU, you just issue work permits to the
>>> Germans needed. When a robot breaks down, shouldn't take more than a
>>> couple of months to get the paperwork needed, and a few days to get
>>> through the border checks.

>> What makes you think that you require German engineers rather than
>> Korean?

> Lower air fare?

What was the name of that British king who invited Hengist and Horsa
over to solve a few problems? Britain has taken over 70 years to lose
WWII. That's got to be a record.
Old February 23rd 18, 09:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Peter Hill[_2_]

On 22-Feb-18 2:45 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> alan_m > wrote:
>> On 22/02/2018 00:29, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>>
>>> Not a problem. Once out of the EU, you just issue work permits to the
>>> Germans needed. When a robot breaks down, shouldn't take more than a
>>> couple of months to get the paperwork needed, and a few days to get
>>> through the border checks.

>> What makes you think that you require German engineers rather than Korean?

> All the best robots are German. This valuable training video may have
> some information on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBc5NpyEoo
> --scott

4 robots on tour doesn't rate on the list of TOP 14 world industrial
robotic makers.

https://roboticsandautomationnews.co...the-world/812/

ABB are 3rd and they aren't German. Facilities for research, development
and manufacturing located in Sweden, Czech Republic, Norway, Mexico,
Japan, USA and China.

Stäubli is Swiss.

So no Germans with an installed base of more than 20,000 robots. In the
main makers of industrial robots are Asian.

The Germans do make a lot of CNC controls.