Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

Old February 24th 18, 02:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Chris[_34_]

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 20:26:41 +0000, MrCheerful wrote:

> On 18/02/2018 19:46, BurfordTJustice wrote:
>> No need to with those little **** ant things you blokes call cars.
>>

> That must be why merkins are so keen to own English cars.

Last time I was in the States, over a dozen years ago even, I was *so*
disappointed not to see any of the great classic gas-guzzlers on the
roads. Everyone seemed to be driving small Jap cars and it's probably
even worse today with these stupid little Prius things that douchebags
like Brian Griffin drives.

Old February 24th 18, 02:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
alan_m

> How do we get the energy and food needed
> in? Let alone everything else we don't make.

Exactly in the same way as we do now. Do you really believe French,
Dutch and Spanish farmers etc. are not going sell us their tasteless
fruit and vegetables. Do you think we will be unable to buy gas from
Russia or washing machines from Turkey or TVs from Korea when we leave
the EU? Do you think that all that food you currently see in every
supermarket from 101 different countries outside the EU is suddenly
going to rot waiting for months in a customs sheds?

Old February 24th 18, 02:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Scott Dorsey

alan_m > wrote:
> If you are that worried about protecting British car working jobs buy a
> car assembled in the UK rather than a foreign built car. If all those
> advocating remaining in the EU did so then the production at UK car
> plants wouldn't need exports of cars in order to survive and imports of
> completed cars would reduce - a win, win situation.

I assure you that if I could afford a Morgan I'd be driving one today.
--scott

Old February 24th 18, 02:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
alan_m > wrote:
> On 24/02/2018 12:01, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > How do we get the energy and food needed
> > in? Let alone everything else we don't make.

> Exactly in the same way as we do now. Do you really believe French,
> Dutch and Spanish farmers etc. are not going sell us their tasteless
> fruit and vegetables. Do you think we will be unable to buy gas from
> Russia or washing machines from Turkey or TVs from Korea when we leave
> the EU? Do you think that all that food you currently see in every
> supermarket from 101 different countries outside the EU is suddenly
> going to rot waiting for months in a customs sheds?

Ah - right. Of course we will be able to buy things from anywhere and with
some food cheaper than the EU.

What you haven't answered is just how we pay for these imports. Which is
the $64k question.

At the moment the majority of the UK's income is from financial etc
services. Not selling Jaguars or whatever. Many such financial operations
base themselves here because of access to the EU. And are high wage
operations. With many nationalities working in them. Several very
attractive places to live in Europe would just love to have them re-locate
there.

--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 24th 18, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Scott Dorsey > wrote:
> alan_m > wrote:
> > If you are that worried about protecting British car working jobs buy
> > a car assembled in the UK rather than a foreign built car. If all
> > those advocating remaining in the EU did so then the production at UK
> > car plants wouldn't need exports of cars in order to survive and
> > imports of completed cars would reduce - a win, win situation.

> I assure you that if I could afford a Morgan I'd be driving one today.
> --scott

Hi Scott - good to see you're still around. ;-)

--
*I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Old February 24th 18, 04:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
alan_m

> In article >,
> alan_m > wrote:
>> On 24/02/2018 12:01, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>>> How do we get the energy and food needed
>>> in? Let alone everything else we don't make.

>> Exactly in the same way as we do now. Do you really believe French,
>> Dutch and Spanish farmers etc. are not going sell us their tasteless
>> fruit and vegetables. Do you think we will be unable to buy gas from
>> Russia or washing machines from Turkey or TVs from Korea when we leave
>> the EU? Do you think that all that food you currently see in every
>> supermarket from 101 different countries outside the EU is suddenly
>> going to rot waiting for months in a customs sheds?

> Ah - right. Of course we will be able to buy things from anywhere and with
> some food cheaper than the EU.
>
> What you haven't answered is just how we pay for these imports. Which is
> the $64k question.
>
> At the moment the majority of the UK's income is from financial etc
> services. Not selling Jaguars or whatever. Many such financial operations
> base themselves here because of access to the EU. And are high wage
> operations. With many nationalities working in them. Several very
> attractive places to live in Europe would just love to have them re-locate
> there.

Do you mean the same financial services the cost of which to bail them
out will be paid for by your children's children?
Do you mean the same financial services that illegally fiddled the rates
so that mortgages in the UK were more expensive?
Do you mean the same financial services that have been fined billions by
the US, UK and European regulators?
Do you mean the same financial services that are so well run that a lack
of due diligence has resulted in foreign bank/investment acquisitions
making massive losses?
Do you mean that the same financial services that caused many viable
small UK companies to go to the wall so that they could be asset stripped?
Do you mean the same financial services that constructed worthless
investments that no insider trader would touch with a barge pole?
Do you mean that same financial services that have written off billions
for mis-selling PPI?
Do you mean the same financial services where loyalty to them is
rewarded with high charges than for disloyal or new customers?

Again not as simple as in or out of the EU......

Many of these companies are more likely to go to new York or the far
East rather than migrating to the rest of Europe.

The credibility of financial services in the Euro zone may take a big
hit if a few basket case EU countries start defaulting on their loans. A
lot of Euro zone financial problems have be swept under the carpet to
resurface in a few year's time.

In a few years time, or perhaps even today, with modern technology it
will not matter where in the world you sit to run a financial service.

Old February 24th 18, 08:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
RJH

On 24/02/2018 15:01, alan_m wrote:
> On 24/02/2018 13:51, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Â*Â*Â* alan_m > wrote:

>>> Exactly in the same way as we do now. Do you really believe French,
>>> Dutch and Spanish farmers etc. are not going sell us their tasteless
>>> fruit and vegetables. Do you think we will be unable to buy gas from
>>> Russia or washing machines from Turkey or TVs from Korea when we leave
>>> the EU?Â* Do you think that all that food you currently see in every
>>> supermarket from 101 different countries outside the EU is suddenly
>>> going to rot waiting for months in a customs sheds?

>> Ah - right. Of course we will be able to buy things from anywhere and
>> with
>> some food cheaper than the EU.
>>
>> What you haven't answered is just how we pay for these imports. Which is
>> the $64k question.
>>
>> At the moment the majority of the UK's income is from financial etc
>> services. Not selling Jaguars or whatever. Many such financial operations
>> base themselves here because of access to the EU. And are high wage
>> operations. With many nationalities working in them.Â* Several very
>> attractive places to live in Europe would just love to have them
>> re-locate
>> there.
>>

> Do you mean the same financial services the cost of which to bail them
> out will be paid for by your children's children?
> Do you mean the same financial services that illegally fiddled the rates
> so that mortgages in the UK were more expensive?
> Do you mean the same financial services that have been fined billions by
> the US, UK and European regulators?
> Do you mean the same financial services that are so well run that a lack
> of due diligence has resulted in foreign bank/investment acquisitions
> making massive losses?
> Do you mean that the same financial services that caused many viable
> small UK companies to go to the wall so that they could be asset stripped?
> Do you mean the same financial services that constructed worthless
> investments that no insider trader would touch with a barge pole?
> Do you mean that same financial services that have written off billions
> for mis-selling PPI?
> Do you mean the same financial services where loyalty to them is
> rewarded with high charges than for disloyal or new customers?
>
> Again not as simple as in or out of the EU......

I think it more or less is - they'll still be getting up to that
shenanigans wherever they are.

> Many of these companies are more likely to go to new York or the far
> East rather than migrating to the rest of Europe.
>
> The credibility of financial services in the Euro zone may take a big
> hit if a few basket case EU countries start defaulting on their loans. A
> lot of Euro zone financial problems have be swept under the carpet to
> resurface in a few year's time.
>
> In a few years time, or perhaps even today, with modern technology it
> will not matter where in the world you sit to run a financial service.

Were it not for the fact that location is a source of inward investment
and of course jobs. While the UK financial services sector doesn't do
much in terms of productivity it directly employs about 10% of the
workforce - at least. That 10% is linked to jobs across sectors. Whether
I like the sector or not, that still has to be factored in.
--
Cheers, Rob
Old February 24th 18, 09:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
alan_m

On 24/02/2018 19:30, RJH wrote:

> Were it not for the fact that location is a source of inward investment
> and of course jobs. While the UK financial services sector doesn't do
> much in terms of productivity it directly employs about 10% of the
> workforce - at least. That 10% is linked to jobs across sectors. Whether
> I like the sector or not, that still has to be factored in.

Is it sensible to rely on a sector that next year could be run from an
office building in India with an additional staffing level of perhaps
less than 100 people in each country they are servicing?

Currently more and more of us don't set foot in a UK bank branch or
haven't had need to contact an actual person for years for an Internet
bank account or investment. The number of people the financial services
employ in the UK is dwindling.

Old February 24th 18, 09:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
alan_m

On 24/02/2018 13:20, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> I assure you that if I could afford a Morgan

Isn't that just an up-market Reliant Robin with the third wheel fitted
at the wrong end?

Old February 24th 18, 10:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
rbowman

On 02/24/2018 06:20 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> alan_m > wrote:
>> If you are that worried about protecting British car working jobs buy a
>> car assembled in the UK rather than a foreign built car. If all those
>> advocating remaining in the EU did so then the production at UK car
>> plants wouldn't need exports of cars in order to survive and imports of
>> completed cars would reduce - a win, win situation.

> I assure you that if I could afford a Morgan I'd be driving one today.
> --scott

I wouldn't mind one of the three wheeled varieties.