1992 Wrangler won't start in Morning

Old December 10th 05, 07:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 1992 Wrangler won't start in Morning

Thanks for everyone again. Thanks DougW for the website and links to the pictures for the camshaft position sensor. It looks like the 92 is setup in a similar fashion to the 93 ZJ, where the distributor would have to come out. I am going to bypass the ground to the firewall with the booster cable first and see what happens.

I will let everyone know what I find out.
Again, your help has been very much appreciated.

Nadim

--
nelkhour

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-360641.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net

Old December 10th 05, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The 'far' more common CPS failure on those engines is the 'Crankshaft
Position Sensor'. The cam sensor seldom fails on the early 4.0's.

The CPS plug and socket just get dirty. You can clean them with a spray
contact cleaner that electronic shops sell or even use WD40. WD40 is a
good electrical cleaner and water displacer.

The plug and socket for the CPS are located at the back of the intake
manifold with the CPS at the top corner of the bell housing back there.

While you are cleaning plugs and sockets, I recommend you do the ones on
the throttle body too. They all can benefit from a clean. I use
dielectric grease on the plug seal skirts when putting them back
together. The grease is sometimes sold as spark plug boot protector.
It is the same stuff you put in plug boots so they don't stick.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old December 10th 05, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Pix for the Crankshaft Sensor location:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2119338336

Note: Sometimes the sensor is on the passenger side but on this model it was
the driver's side. If your is on the passenger side I am sure someone will
send you a link to those pix