99 XJ T-case swap?

Old April 23rd 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
greenxj

Default 99 XJ T-case swap?

Hey guys,
I am in almost desperate need of some ideas here. I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee
XJ 4WD 4 Door Sport 4.0. I know (now) I have NP232 Transfer case undernearth..
Sadly only because It blew. the problem is I can get my hands on a NP231 No
problem, the 232 however, is a LONG story.
Would this swap work? Would it bolt in or would I have problems?

Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated.
If there are any other fixes out there please, I am all ears. The only thing
I cannot do is rebuild what's already there because of the giant hole that
was punched in it by one of the gears inside

Thanks again

Old April 23rd 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

You could try looking here,
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...se_gateway.htm may tell you
wat each will mate up to.

Old April 23rd 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
greenxj

I did as much reading as I could, but unfortunately it doesn't have anything
on the 232... so I am really kind of in the same spot. I do thank you VERY
much for your input. As I said, any and all is welcome.

My thinking was kind of this way. If the AW4 tranny is in both, than wouldn't
it make sense that each t-case would bolt in relatively the same way?
Disregarding drive shafts and all... wouldn't that kind of make sense?

Old April 23rd 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

I looked at going the other way when I swapped an AX15 in my 88 MJ and it
seems that there are a couple of PITA items that may bite you in your
process. These are from memory 5-6 years ago, so take them for what they
are worth.

1. I'm pretty sure that the np-232 is longer than the np-231 so you may have
to change the drive shaft(s).

2. The input shaft to the 231 had at least 2 different spline counts -
Murphy says you'll get the wrong one if you don't check just what you need
first.

3. If you decide to change the tc input shaft, they come with 2 different
bearing types and 2 different gear patterns, so you'll need to check what
you have before ordering the part.

I can't tell you for sure about the tranny-tc bolt pattern, but the AX15,
AX4, and AW4 auto all have adapters behind them so I'd bet on a common bolt
pattern.

--
Will Honea
Old April 23rd 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
greenxj via CarKB.com

Thanks a lot. I guess the only thing to do now is start counting and pray...
Sheeesh
Thanks for the fast replies guys, and the help. I really appreciate it

Old April 23rd 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_23_]

Bummer. I would recommend getting the factory service manual for this
vehicle or the Jeep Conversion Manual from Advance Adapters
(http://advanceadapters.com) so you can be absolutely sure what you have,
before buying stuff that might not fit. There is a round metal tag about as
big as a half dollar, fastened to the back of the transfer case housing. It
should have the model number on it. I haven't heard of a NP232, of course
that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. As Will says, there were a number of
different transfer case input shafts, not only spline count but also length.
It is essential to get the correct one as it must mate correctly with your
transmission output shaft. The Advance Adapters manual will help you
identify this part. They should also have various versions of the part for
sale.

Do you have a SelecTrac case in your XJ? That would be one, with a full
time four wheel drive mode in addition to 2HI, 4HI, N and 2LO. The NP231
only has the four speeds listed above, making it a "part time four wheel
drive" model. The full time SelecTrac model will have additional options
such as "Full" or "Lock". The shift pattern will be printed on the Transfer
Case shift knob, overhead visor, or inside the glove box. If so, the NP231
is a possible replacement but as has been said drive shafts, mounts and the
crucial transfer case input shaft may be different.

You should be able to buy a new housing from the Jeep dealer, if for example
the chain just jumped the sprocket and poked a hole in the case.
Availability and cost might be problems, but if the chain and the case are
the only unusable parts it would be reasonable to think of rebuilding what
you have now. It won't hurt to disassemble your existing transfer case and
take a full damage inventory. You probably need a manual for this.

On the Advance Adapters site they have transfer cases for sale with slip
yoke eliminator. These are NP231 and NP241, both part time transfer cases.
If you plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time, the available possible
upgrades to the transfer case are worth considering. A slip yoke eliminator
isn't strictly necessary on a Cherokee, but it won't hurt and you would have
to have drive shafts fabricated anyway to use a different model transfer
case.

Cheers,

Earle

Old April 25th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
greenxj via CarKB.com

I did get the factory service manual... As a matter of fact here's the link
for all that would like it. I printed it out and bound it... it's over 3000
pages. but well worth it.
http://pdftown.com/2000-Jeep-Cheroke...ce-Manual.html
and here is where you can get a lot of info on many others
http://pdftown.com/Pdf-eBook/Automotive.html
Just in case anyone wants info on other vehicles.
Thanks Earle for all your help, I did the swap. I used both my axles and
everything seems to be running just fine. i did find out that the case i have
is a 242. It was marked 232, and the dealer still couldn't explain how, but I
swapped the 231 and everything went in nice and easy. Each was 23 spline and
worked out well.
I don't know if it was dumb luck or just plain stupidity that got me through
this. But I will take it!
I did see the 231 SYE already and do plan on getting it, along with a drive
shaft... I have seen a lot here
http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/np23...or-p-6456.html
http://store.cseoffroad.com/1867660.html
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/SlipYoke.htm
I will do it. I just have to get the $ up first.
Thanks everyone for their advice and help. I really appreciate it.

I hope the manuals help some people somewhere. Good luck if you undertake any
mechanical repairs.

Old April 25th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Apr 24, 9:55*pm, "greenxj via CarKB.com" <u43105@uwe> wrote:
> [...]

> >the only unusable parts it would be reasonable to think of rebuilding what
> >you have now. *It won't hurt to disassemble your existing transfer case and
> >take a full damage inventory. *You probably need a manual for this.

> >On the Advance *Adapters site they have transfer cases for sale with slip
> >yoke eliminator. *These are NP231 and NP241, both part time transfer cases.
> >If you plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time, the available possible
> >upgrades to the transfer case are worth considering. *A slip yoke eliminator
> >isn't strictly necessary on a Cherokee, but it won't hurt and you would have
> >to have drive shafts fabricated anyway to use a different model transfer
> >case.

> >Cheers,

> >Earle
> >> Thanks a lot. I guess the only thing to do now is start counting and

This is the lowest cost one I have seen:

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....roducts_id=153
Old April 28th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
greenxj via CarKB.com

I did the swap. Other than a little weird whining noise, everything seems ok.

I haven't tried the 4wd because well... because I can't pull up the level
past the 4 wheel part time on the guage (I know it's wrong) I just don't know
how wrong.... It gives me a lot of trouble coming up, so i don't want to
break anything...
other than that, she runs and it's fine

Old April 28th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
greenxj via CarKB.com

see there is the problem. I can get the lever back one position, but it is
way too easy to fall back into s wheel. If I hit a bump I know it will dis-
engage. Anything other than that, it won't do it. I have tried with the truck
in neutral as well. Still a no go.
I have no idea what to do about this one.

99 XJ T-case swap? greenxj Jeep 5 April 24th 08 08:25 PM
Need Help for my case!!!!!! peter83810 Driving 13 March 7th 06 02:11 AM
What Case is AW? Busahaulic VW air cooled 2 August 25th 05 01:55 AM
In Case Your Not Fat Enough, America... rst Driving 19 August 9th 05 02:03 AM
don't even try to cook a case [email protected] General 0 January 17th 05 01:41 PM