4WD shifting

Old August 9th 12, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DP[_2_]

Default 4WD shifting

Greetings:
Thus far, this group is exactly what this first time Jeep owner
needs!
I have a new question:
The dealer wasn't real clear on the proper way to shift from "4 All
Time" to 4-LO in my '99 GC Ltd with Quadra-Trak II. What I got from
him was to STOP, put trans in neutral and shift into LO without
hesitating in "N". To shift out he said slow to 3-5 mph and again
shift quickly (while moving) into normal 4 without hesitation at N. I
tried this and got a short grinding sound both ways.
Any advice appreciated, as I do not have a handbook to explain things
further to me.
Thanks.
Old August 9th 12, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

On Aug 9, 1:31*pm, DP > wrote:
> Greetings:
> Thus far, this group is exactly what this first time Jeep owner
> needs!
> I have a new question:
> The dealer wasn't real clear on the proper way to shift from "4 All
> Time" to 4-LO in my '99 GC Ltd with Quadra-Trak II. What I got from
> him was to STOP, put trans in neutral and shift into LO without
> hesitating in "N". To shift out he said slow to 3-5 mph and again
> shift quickly (while moving) into normal 4 without hesitation at N. I
> tried this and got a short grinding sound both ways.
> Any advice appreciated, as I do not have a handbook to explain things
> further to me.
> Thanks.

According to the manual on page 182 for my 01GC:

4 all time to 4 lo or 4 l0 to 4 all time

"With the vehicle rolling at 2 t0 3 mph...shift the transmission to N
(Neutral). While the vehicle is coasting at 2 to 3 mph, shift the
transfer case lever firmly into desired position. Do not pause in
transfer case N (Neutral)"

Bought mine new and in all the time I time I used it, I have never
went into 4 lo.

Larry
Old August 9th 12, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

On Aug 9, 2:26*pm, Larry > wrote:
> On Aug 9, 1:31*pm, DP > wrote:
>
> > Greetings:
> > Thus far, this group is exactly what this first time Jeep owner
> > needs!
> > I have a new question:
> > The dealer wasn't real clear on the proper way to shift from "4 All
> > Time" to 4-LO in my '99 GC Ltd with Quadra-Trak II. What I got from
> > him was to STOP, put trans in neutral and shift into LO without
> > hesitating in "N". To shift out he said slow to 3-5 mph and again
> > shift quickly (while moving) into normal 4 without hesitation at N. I
> > tried this and got a short grinding sound both ways.
> > Any advice appreciated, as I do not have a handbook to explain things
> > further to me.
> > Thanks.

> According to the manual on page 182 for my 01GC:
>
> 4 all time to 4 lo or 4 l0 to 4 all time
>
> "With the vehicle rolling at 2 t0 3 mph...shift the transmission to N
> (Neutral). While the vehicle is coasting at 2 to 3 mph, shift the
> transfer case lever firmly into desired position. Do not pause in
> transfer case N (Neutral)"
>
> Bought mine new and in all the time I time I used it, I have never
> went into 4 lo.
>
> Larry

A couple of notes to those instructions that relate to the the
grinding problem from page 182:

NOTE: Pausing in transfer case N (Neutral) in vehicles equipped with
an automatic transmission may require shutting the engine OFF to avoid
gear clash while completing the shift. If difficulty occurs, shift the
transmission into N (Neutral) hold foot on break, and turn the engine
OFF. Make shift to desired mode.

Another note:

NOTE: Shifting into or out of 4LO is possible with the vehicle
completely stopped, however difficulty may occur due to the mating
clutch teeth not being properly aligned. Several attempts may be
required for clutch teeth alignment and shift completion to occur. The
preferred method is with the vehicle rolling 2 to 3 mph. Avoid
attempting to engage or disengage 4LO with the vehicle moving faster
than 2 to 3 mph.

Larry
Old August 9th 12, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Larry wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2:26 pm, Larry > wrote:
>> On Aug 9, 1:31 pm, DP > wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings:
>>> Thus far, this group is exactly what this first time Jeep owner
>>> needs!
>>> I have a new question:
>>> The dealer wasn't real clear on the proper way to shift from "4 All
>>> Time" to 4-LO in my '99 GC Ltd with Quadra-Trak II. What I got from
>>> him was to STOP, put trans in neutral and shift into LO without
>>> hesitating in "N". To shift out he said slow to 3-5 mph and again
>>> shift quickly (while moving) into normal 4 without hesitation at N.
>>> I tried this and got a short grinding sound both ways.
>>> Any advice appreciated, as I do not have a handbook to explain
>>> things further to me.
>>> Thanks.

>> According to the manual on page 182 for my 01GC:
>>
>> 4 all time to 4 lo or 4 l0 to 4 all time
>>
>> "With the vehicle rolling at 2 t0 3 mph...shift the transmission to N
>> (Neutral). While the vehicle is coasting at 2 to 3 mph, shift the
>> transfer case lever firmly into desired position. Do not pause in
>> transfer case N (Neutral)"
>>
>> Bought mine new and in all the time I time I used it, I have never
>> went into 4 lo.
>>
>> Larry

> A couple of notes to those instructions that relate to the the
> grinding problem from page 182:
>
> NOTE: Pausing in transfer case N (Neutral) in vehicles equipped with
> an automatic transmission may require shutting the engine OFF to avoid
> gear clash while completing the shift. If difficulty occurs, shift the
> transmission into N (Neutral) hold foot on break, and turn the engine
> OFF. Make shift to desired mode.
>
> Another note:
>
> NOTE: Shifting into or out of 4LO is possible with the vehicle
> completely stopped, however difficulty may occur due to the mating
> clutch teeth not being properly aligned. Several attempts may be
> required for clutch teeth alignment and shift completion to occur. The
> preferred method is with the vehicle rolling 2 to 3 mph. Avoid
> attempting to engage or disengage 4LO with the vehicle moving faster
> than 2 to 3 mph.
>
> Larry

It's gonna make some noise, that's normal. There is no syncrho in there.

I generally try to go into N even when rolling, then quickly slap it into 4LO, but you can do it at a crawl. Coming out of 4LO is
easier with the transmission in N.

Generally you want to go into 4LO when you know you will need it. Not just "for grins and giggles".

Mine is the ol original Quadratrac. Been wheeling it since day one
and in and out of gears quite a lot. You get used to the the grinding.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old August 12th 12, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DP[_2_]

Thanks for the info, everyone. I think have it, now!