Cigarette lighter socket extensions?

Old July 3rd 05, 03:36 PM
Tom Harvey

Default Cigarette lighter socket extensions?

Hi there,

I have got increasing amount of bits of kit that use the cigarette
lighter socket as a power source (mobile phone, PDA etc etc), but in a
156 (2000 - original dash), to use them when driving, the adapter always
sticks out and gets in the way of the gear stick. I though I might take
a 12v line off from somewhere to a small jack socket that I could use,
somewhere in the passenger footwell. So a few of quick questions:

Has anyone tried this, or has some other workaround for cigarette
lighter power source?

Is there a suitable source to take a 12v feed from without taking the
dash apart etc?

Is there any cigarette lighter plug that could plug in for use as an
extension, with the ash tray compartment shut?

Any other practical suggestions?

Many thanks,
Tom.

Old July 3rd 05, 04:03 PM
SteveH

Tom Harvey > wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have got increasing amount of bits of kit that use the cigarette
> lighter socket as a power source (mobile phone, PDA etc etc), but in a
> 156 (2000 - original dash), to use them when driving, the adapter always
> sticks out and gets in the way of the gear stick. I though I might take
> a 12v line off from somewhere to a small jack socket that I could use,
> somewhere in the passenger footwell. So a few of quick questions:
>
> Has anyone tried this, or has some other workaround for cigarette
> lighter power source?
>
> Is there a suitable source to take a 12v feed from without taking the
> dash apart etc?

I've done this in the past [1] - took a feed from the permanent live
feed to the back of the stereo.

Easy enough to do, and you only have to remove the radio to gain access
to it.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old July 3rd 05, 04:24 PM
Catman

Tom Harvey wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have got increasing amount of bits of kit that use the cigarette
> lighter socket as a power source (mobile phone, PDA etc etc), but in a
> 156 (2000 - original dash), to use them when driving, the adapter always
> sticks out and gets in the way of the gear stick. I though I might take
> a 12v line off from somewhere to a small jack socket that I could use,
> somewhere in the passenger footwell. So a few of quick questions:
>
> Has anyone tried this, or has some other workaround for cigarette
> lighter power source?

Yep. My PDA cradle plugs into a 3.5mm line jack, which is fed from the
fusebox

> Is there a suitable source to take a 12v feed from without taking the
> dash apart etc?

Grabbed mine from the fusbox. 20 secs with a test lamp
FWIW I'd use a *switched* live not permanent. That way you'll not flatten
your battery if you forget to turn off / unplug.
> Is there any cigarette lighter plug that could plug in for use as an
> extension, with the ash tray compartment shut?

www.maplin.co.uk

But I prefer my solution

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 4th 05, 01:22 PM
Halmyre

SteveH wrote:

> Tom Harvey > wrote:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>I have got increasing amount of bits of kit that use the cigarette
>>lighter socket as a power source (mobile phone, PDA etc etc), but in a
>>156 (2000 - original dash), to use them when driving, the adapter always
>>sticks out and gets in the way of the gear stick. I though I might take
>>a 12v line off from somewhere to a small jack socket that I could use,
>>somewhere in the passenger footwell. So a few of quick questions:
>>
>>Has anyone tried this, or has some other workaround for cigarette
>>lighter power source?
>>
>>Is there a suitable source to take a 12v feed from without taking the
>>dash apart etc?

> I've done this in the past [1] - took a feed from the permanent live
> feed to the back of the stereo.
>
> Easy enough to do, and you only have to remove the radio to gain access
> to it.

I've always wondered about the radio on a 156 - is it meant to be always
live, i.e. not wired through the ignition?

--
Halmyre

Old July 4th 05, 06:21 PM
SteveH

Halmyre > wrote:

> > I've done this in the past [1] - took a feed from the permanent live
> > feed to the back of the stereo.
> >
> > Easy enough to do, and you only have to remove the radio to gain access
> > to it.
> >

> I've always wondered about the radio on a 156 - is it meant to be always
> live, i.e. not wired through the ignition?

If they've followed usual Fiat wiring, yes.

I can't give a definite on that as we have an aftermarket Blaupunkt in
ous.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old July 4th 05, 06:31 PM
Catman

Halmyre wrote:

> SteveH wrote:
>
>> Tom Harvey > wrote:
>>

>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>I have got increasing amount of bits of kit that use the cigarette
>>>lighter socket as a power source (mobile phone, PDA etc etc), but in a
>>>156 (2000 - original dash), to use them when driving, the adapter always
>>>sticks out and gets in the way of the gear stick. I though I might take
>>>a 12v line off from somewhere to a small jack socket that I could use,
>>>somewhere in the passenger footwell. So a few of quick questions:
>>>
>>>Has anyone tried this, or has some other workaround for cigarette
>>>lighter power source?
>>>
>>>Is there a suitable source to take a 12v feed from without taking the
>>>dash apart etc?

>> I've done this in the past [1] - took a feed from the permanent live
>> feed to the back of the stereo.
>>
>> Easy enough to do, and you only have to remove the radio to gain access
>> to it.
>>

> I've always wondered about the radio on a 156 - is it meant to be always
> live, i.e. not wired through the ignition?

When I pulled the Alpine out of mine, there was a switched live, but it went
to the wrong pin for the Blaupunkt that I installed.
Oddly though, the Blaupunkt is supposed to be able to switch on, even when
the ignition is off (and turn itself off after 1 hour). Worked fine in the
155, but not in the 156. I'm geussing that the switched live is not
really......

Still, it works to turn on and off with the ignition, and keeps all the
presets, so who knows.
Old July 4th 05, 08:15 PM
Pete

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:22:35 GMT, Halmyre >, wrote:

>I've always wondered about the radio on a 156 - is it meant to be always
>live, i.e. not wired through the ignition?

Yes always like that. It has been the cause of Many flat batteries as
people forget to turn the Power Off to the stereo and leave it on stand-by.
Do that for a week without using the car and you could find it won't start.
Alfa don't just Style cars differently <LOL>

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old July 11th 05, 11:26 AM
Steve Drake

I've done this, i took the live from the back of the cigarate lighter, you
can access this from the foot well.

Steve

Old July 11th 05, 03:55 PM
gazza82

Mine switches itself off after a while if the ignition isn't on
(Original Alpine unit). Real pain when I'm cleaning the car and want to
listen to the radio. There's a bleep then ... I have to turn the radio
back on. ;-)

Changing cigarette lighter bk Audi 3 April 7th 08 02:57 PM
Cigarette Lighter HowdyDoody Audi 1 June 8th 05 02:03 PM
Cigarette lighter glow ring R. P. Honda 5 April 19th 05 03:25 AM
1996 Cherokee cigarette lighter fuse. Preston Kemp Jeep 8 December 6th 04 03:25 PM